Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Windowmaker tool updated!

Still struggling here, I tried my AMD card and could not get 3d to work, went back to my nvidia card and that has to run 3 projectors to obtain 3d and surround and unfortunately mvidi a does not allow 3d to work in portrait mode so thats out also.. So what I appear to be stuck with is a very long but narrow image.. Can I alter the zoom level in window maker or is that fixed, it creates windows with a zoom of 40 but 30 would be better,if I try to do it manually in fsx in throws out the alignment in the side windows..
    I have also noticed that even just 3 windows is killing my frame rates from 45fps to 15 fps..

150+ Forum Groupie

WindowMaker gives the correct zoom for the window configuration you enter. If you want it to give you a wider zoom without misalignment, define a wider field of view.
    Note that FSX will not set a zoom level below 0.3. It will not give an error on lower values, it just uses the larger of 0.3 or your defined zoom level.

Hi wledzian,

Thanks for the window maker tool. It gives some good results at first. I use a 135 deg FoV with 3 LCD screens, split over multiple instances of Prepar3d. I simply use the rotation and zoom values of your tool output.

It looks aligned very well in flight and for all objects (e.g. terminal buildings) in a certain distance. However, of the runway markings (centerline, touchdown zone markings, taxi lines) itself, it's off.

Any ideas appreciated

150+ Forum Groupie

In further reply to Ghetto regarding frame rate hit:
    There are Three reasons that you see a hit in frame rate:
    1: There is a wider field of view. This means more geometry, therefore more processor load.
    2: There are more windows. This means an extra frustum culling (get rid of the geometry you don't need) for each window, thus more processor load. This should be a very minor impact.
    3: (this is the big one) Unless your 2D panel is active, FSX must have at least one full-screen window. If you initially saved your flight without the 2d panel, there will be one fullscreen window hidden behind the rest. The solution to that is to save your flight with the 2d panel enabled, modify the .flt file with the WindowMaker information, load the modified flight, then shrink the panel and stick it somewhere unobtrusive. Don't close the 2d panel.

In reply to devsim regarding misalignment:
    Please provide some clarification:
    How are the runway markings 'off'? Do they match up but bend at the window edges, or do they not match up? If they match up but bend, this is normal, and there's nothing that can be done about it without warping software. If they don't match up, then there's some other issue - you may want to check that the rotation is set only in the horizontal plane, and that you have set Wideviewaspect=False in fsx.cfg.
    Since you're using monitors, have you allowed for bezel correction?

5. Dislikes markfire disliked this post
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Do you guys think this software would work well for a one projector system and a dome/curve surface (such as jdome? http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...jection-screen )

150+ Forum Groupie

Yes you can use it for jDome, but it won't get you much beyond what you'd get with a single zoomed-out window. To get a true perspective-correct 180° on the jDome, you need to use warping software. WindowMaker can set up the multiple windows required, but it doesn't perform any warping.

Will give this a go tonight with immersive display lite. I don't have a dome or a projector yet but I can see the potential for a low cost immersion system.

I've managed to get immersive display lite running with your window maker program. Unfortunately there is quite a substantial frame rate drop (as expected) and image sharpness diminishes with warping turned on. Oh well...

hi there
    first of all congrats for your excelent tool, i love it. i wonder if you can help me reach my goal: i have 2 monitors full hd resolution on a gtx570 running on win 7, what would be the windowmaker code to achieve this: 2 monitors = 2 views centered but with no virtual cockpit i mean only cockpit view. i dont mind the monitors bezel in the midle, i 'll be running 2d panel on a second computer. is this possible? please help me i'm having a hard time to make it work. tkx

150+ Forum Groupie

Pirata, can you clarify a bit? If I understand correctly, you want two views without the virtual cockpit showing. You also want these windows set up so that the straight-ahead point is in the bezel.

This is not difficult. Simply set the total FOV that you want, and set the number of windows to 2. If you want to compensate for the bezel, you'll need to do that manually by adding or subtracting an apppropriate amount of rotation to each window.
    In order to get rid of the virtual cockpit, you'll need to open the aircraft.cfg file and comment out the interior declaration (just add '//' to the start of the line).

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast