Thread: FBS#& and LED64

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FBS#& and LED64

Hi Guys ,

How is possible to have 7 segments display working with FBS37 ( www.flyboysshop.com ) and LED64 ?

I would like to use the 7 segments display for the radio of the 737 PMDG.

Thanks and regards

Alberto

builder

Re: FBS#& and LED64

Alberto,

I would go to that link in your post and ask those folks on their Support page.
    I read the Lights documentation - Appendix F gives a theory of 7 segment leds, with hints on what is required to drive leds.
    In any event, any 7 segment led is really 8 leds - 7 segments plus the decimal point.
    A Phidget LED64 would therefore be able to drive 8 numbers. (8 X 8 = 64)
    Radios require 4 digits, possibly 5, Each MCP display requires 5 numbers, except heading and course which require 3. Therefore, each LED64 board would support, at most, only two functions.
    One board for 2 COM displays, One board for 2 NAV displays, another for Transponder and ADF.
    Starts to get expensive.
    If you examine the Phidget LED64 product document there is mention that it is possible to drive 7 segments.
    The document will also tell you where to buy recommended Lumex 7 segment displays.
    It is up to you to figure out how to connect LED64 to pins on each 7 segment number.
    (and believe me, those pins are really close together).
    You then need to figure out how to read FSUIPC offsets (9000 and greater for FBS37) and convert offset value to light up each individual segment on each 7 segment, and figure which decimal point to light.
    Hope this helps.
    There are other flight sim hardware interface manufacturers that do the job for reasonable price,
    but not sure if they interface to PMDG.

Regards,
    Alan
    Last edited by CocnutAir; 06-16-2011 at 01:19 AM.

10+ Posting Member

Re: FBS#& and LED64

Thanks Alan for your input.

I already tried to contact the support of that site without success , as they put in there that the site will be closed end of this month , I do not think that they have any compromise with those that bought the software from them.
    Anyway I will try in the flightsimulator community any help on how use that soft with the displays,as you could see in their manual the think seems too easy, but lack something more , the hardware other than the LED64.
    If you have further comments please go ahead.

regards

Alberto