Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

"Dead" Aerosoft 747 MCP module.

Hi group, I am new to the group and my unit has just "died." I have checked the power supply and it does give 5 volts as needed, but the unit will not power up when plugged in as it should.
    Before "cracking" the case to look at the guts, has anybody had any symptoms like this before?

Many thanks,

Bill Trinidad
    California USA

Re: "Dead" Aerosoft 747 MCP module.

UPDATE to this thread:

I have been in contact with Andrew Mc Lean and he has been very helpful. He has given me the directions for a hardware "reset" and I will give it a go. I will keep you all infomred as to the outcome.

Andrew advised that since the unit did not respond to the hardware reset or the ability to communicate with the unit, that is was "dead." He has had me send it to him in Australia for repair, it seems that his brother was the one who designed the unit and his brother expects to be able to trouble shoot the issues and make the repairs. I truly hope so as I had added many functions to the expansion and joystick ports.
    All this many years after Aerosoft Australia stopped production of the unit, I am so excited about them "going the extra mile" to repair it.

Bill Trinidad
    California, USA

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Trinidad View Post
    UPDATE to this thread:

I have been in contact with Andrew Mc Lean and he has been very helpful. He has given me the directions for a hardware "reset" and I will give it a go. I will keep you all infomred as to the outcome.
    Hi Bill,

Unfortunately I seem to be suffering from the same symptoms: all of a sudden the unit won't power up. Could you give me the details for the hardware reset?

Best regards,

Maarten van Kleinwee
    The Netherlands

Hi Maartin,

I just heard that my unit is now working and being sent back to me from Australia. There were many issues going wrong. The main issue was the unit would not power up, that was something bad on the mother board (I'm not sure what it was, but it was a "quick fix." (by the aerosoft AU guys))
    The other issue was that the rotary encoders were somehow "spinning backwards" (their description) and that was the tough thing to ironout. It turns out that they had to trouble shoot from the start their incorrect firmware/software versions from long ago and they did not have an older PC to works with and the necessary testing software. But, they say that it works better now than when they got it to power up.
    I would say that if you have a power issue (which is the reason I sent it back, after some email discussion with them) you may want to email the aeroSoft AU folks and get their opinions as to what route to take regrding getting the unit to power up again. (I have not seen a complete repair list as of yet.)
    I must say that I am extremely satisfied with all the time and effort that the AU folks took in giving my unit a fix and upgrade after all those years have past since they stopped producing it. Kudos to them!

Feel free to email me directly at billtee37@gmail.com with any other discussions.

Cheers,

Bill

PS: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays

6. Thanks mvkleinwee thanked for this post

Thanks for your quick reply, Bill. Much appreciated. I just sent you a private mail.

Regards and happy Holidays,

Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by mvkleinwee View Post
    Hi Bill,

Unfortunately I seem to be suffering from the same symptoms: all of a sudden the unit won't power up. Could you give me the details for the hardware reset?

Best regards,

Maarten van Kleinwee
    The Netherlands
    Update: fortunately the problem was related to a faulty power supply. After exchanging it for a new one the MCP unit is working like a charm again!

Many thanks to Andrew @ Aersoft for providing quick and detailed support.