Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: which 737 overhead to choose?

Hi,

Yes the FDS cards are a wonderful thing i think, maybe a little more expensive, but 2 x bodnar + 1 phidgets + ... is not a lot cheaper. Also 2 times open cockpit master + USB expansion + USB outputs + ... is not a lot cheaper...
    I also think the Sismo/hispapanels ethernet cards are something to look into, is there anyone here who has them working?
    I would be very interested if these can be easily interfaced with the 737 suite from FlightDeckSoftware, but their site mentions to contact them about the possibilities (which i'll do).
    I'll buy the FlightDeckSoftware suite if the PMDG NGX turns out to be a mousetrapping device : ) I read somewhere the NGX will have an SDK that allows cockpitbuilders to interface all sorts of contraptions, i hope this is true, although it will not be easy to get a DIY live & working HUD : )
    Also good news about the poldragonet overhead, i would like to see the pictures that compare it with the simworld OH.

thanks for all the input here,

dion

150+ Forum Groupie

In Fact Dion, to cover the same input/outputs as the FDS card you would need 4 x Phidget 64s and 2 of Leo's cards which is actually a lot more expensive. Incidentally I don't have any commercial interest in FDS, I'm merely stating what I've found during the build of my own 737.

Cheers
    Joe.

300+ Forum Addict

this benwilliams seems to be a spammer ,

25+ Posting Member

Hello,

benwilliams? did i miss something?

150+ Forum Groupie

Some idiot called Ben Williams was posting spam nonesense to a number of threads. I also reported it and he has now been removed, and all his posts with him.
    I think they were probably removed before you had a chance to see them, so the post from Capetonian would seem illogical without the spam he was referring to.

Hope that makes sense

Regards
    Joe.

25+ Posting Member

Hi Joe, that makes sense.

i guess some idiots can't even find their way to their own forum then

Hi everyone, may i say what a great conversation you have going here. I too am looking for a good quality overhead. My difficulty is I love the FDS products but a bit $. The other issue i have is that i'm in the states and shipping gets quite hefty. I currently have a home built overhead for an ERJ and am using the FDS sys board, which is awesome. But am now finally moving over the the big boy's world of the 737's. I feel i am constantly watching the market to see if the US dollar will make my purchase actually possible.

I am currently running with Opencockpits mcp and efis, PM software, I have a throttle from Throttletek. I just purchased a gear lever from Flyengravity, but received one **** of a wake up call for buying across the pond. I just about paid double to have the lever shipped the the US. I too would love to put the overhead together to save some $, and with the FDS card it makes it rather easy.

My best references for panels are from www.simworld.pl their prices are affordable and shipping prices to US are hialmost the same to some countries of Europe. We all have this problems with this hobby. Shipping charges. For 737 management Prosim 737 from Marty is getting better and better for a 737 simulator. I have seen people using FDS cards with it, and I think he told me FDS support could be included by default on prosim 737 logics. Ian's new overhead project is based on simworld and it appears to have superb quality and lower prices than others.

By the way, I don't work for simworld

Hope you get your project done and enjoy with your sim.

9. Thanks mlscotti thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Hi Scotti,

If i were in the US i would buy real panels form ebay, or scavange the boneyards and the "angel fire" site. add some switches and make your own knobs and you could have a great overhead for a fair price i'd think... I would love to buy real cockpitseats and yokes from the US, but i would pay one 2/5 of the price for shipping, 2/5 for import taxes and VAT and 1/5 for the actual goods.
    Maybe we should set up a smuggling route for flight simmers back and forth across the Atlantic : )
    There is Brazil panels also, they have an overhead... Apart from FDS in Canada, there must be some company in North America to pruduce panels of some sort?

dion

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by dion73 View Post
    Hi Scotti,

If i were in the US i would buy real panels form ebay, or scavange the boneyards and the "angel fire" site. add some switches and make your own knobs and you could have a great overhead for a fair price i'd think... I would love to buy real cockpitseats and yokes from the US, but i would pay one 2/5 of the price for shipping, 2/5 for import taxes and VAT and 1/5 for the actual goods.
    Maybe we should set up a smuggling route for flight simmers back and forth across the Atlantic : )
    There is Brazil panels also, they have an overhead... Apart from FDS in Canada, there must be some company in North America to pruduce panels of some sort?

dion
    I think you would have a rude awakening at the price of trying to buy real overhead panels, then of course, backlighting them.

For North America, FDS is your only supplier. They do cost, but quality is superb and the IBL is a sight to be seen. SHipping isn't that bad on the small stuff, and even on my MIP / CDU base / Glareshield it was 1/3rd of what it cost to get my throttle from France.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast