Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curved screen

300+ Forum Addict
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Curved screen

Just ordered an 8 ft x 34 ft screen that is custom made...price $400 including shipping. Will post more about this next week, once it gets here in our hands...

BSD

2. Thanks Aaron, Matt Olieman, Sweetwater thanked for this post

BSD,

Thanks! Love to hear back on this

Jeff (KGEG)

300+ Forum Addict

Remember the screen I ordered? Well, it was ordered on October 14 and at my door by October 18. First, I have no idea how Carl made this screen so fast! It is 34 feet long by 8 feet high; it has a 2 1/2 inch black material border all around, with black gromments spaced every 6 inches (normally 12 inches, but I requested closer); it has double black thread sticthing and the border is doubled in the sewing. Also, it came with 250 bungees to hang it to a frame (not included).

Had someone work on it over the weekend and the reason it took a bit before starting, is because we needed a way to frame it. Thus, we used 10 each 8 feet long by 3/4 inch PVC plastic tubing (water type) and 120 each 3/4 inch Conduit Hangers, as well as PVC pipe to pipe and 90 degree elbow connectors. So, the frame and screen is up across the top only and that is to determine the rest of the frame spacing. Thought it would just be a matter of framing all around, but it's not that easy. The figuring for strecthing of the bungees, to get the right screen tightness, has to be done by testing, moving, testing and etc. Sure, it could be determined by math, but writting it on paper and then doing it is two different things, so if you do this, take that into account.

The material of the screen itself is white like you would see on a regular projector screen; although, it is not bright white, but not dark white either, it's more a mid-tone to bright white (will look for brightness value later). You can tell the front from the back easily enough, even though both look close in color.

Finally, what did it cost? A little over $400 US with shipping via UPS. Is it worth it? YES!!! Even though the projectors are not on yet, to see what the image is going to look like, I can pretty much guess it'll look awesome. The previous screen material, behind this new screen, is white and looks really close, so it should be the same or better than before with the projected images from FSX. The main issue is that the faults of the previous screen will not be there; no more screw spots, rough surfaces or seeing cracks.

Planning to post some pictures here shortly for all to see. As for the place we ordered it from, it is called:

Carl's Place
    1223 Storrs Lake Road
    Milton, Wisconsin, USA
    phone: 608-352-0002
    http:\\www.carlofet.com/
    or email to: carl@carlofet.com

Here is a link to his Ebay site: http://stores.ebay.com/Carls-Place-Projector-Screens

I did speak to him about the flight simulator community and that there are many people working towards getting screens for their sim projects; told him that he'll likely get a lot of business from all of this... So, anyone looking to get a screen that is custom to your needs for your sim project, be it flat or curved, I'd suggest you contact Carl. Do tell him that I posted this and he might give you a better deal than you'd expect

Note: I do not know him personally or am I connected to him in any way, just found him on Ebay and ironically he is located in Wisconsin (same as us).

BSD Team
    Attached Images Attached Images

300+ Forum Addict

More pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great news!

Custom and well made screen and an affordable price!

Keep us update as you work on it
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

300+ Forum Addict

For more discussion and photos follow this link please:

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/commu...;topicseen#new

Note: MYC staff I have it referenced back to here as well, so please do not remove.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Quote Originally Posted by blueskydriver View Post
    For more discussion and photos follow this link please:

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/commu...;topicseen#new

Note: MYC staff I have it referenced back to here as well, so please do not remove.
    Unfortunately blueskydriver I can no longer access cockpitbuilders. They have decided to ban me because I do not share the same opinion about a vendor's product. I did not say anything derogatory and instead was on the receiving end It is no surprise why mycockpit.org remains the more popular forum.

Flightdeck -- the screen looks very impressive and professional. Did you end up buying the frame as well, or did you make your own?

I am planning to do something similar to the Cobra Curve Screen / iDome setup by Paul Bourke with one 1080p projector. Cobra Simulation Curved Projector Screen Display - YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12