Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Pushbutton and toggle switch double action?

OMG I think im going to keel over and die! I haven't been this depressed with my project ever. Everything has just gone to pieces and nothing is working properly. All I wanted to do was interface some switches and pushbuttons with Leo bodnars buo386x which so many people have done and i just can't seem to do it. I noticed when I connected the buo card it must have automatically assigned all the buttons to something, so I went and deleted the all so I can use a fresh start. I have a fully registered fsuipc and was using that to assign the buttons. I managed to assign the left isolation "Leveld" to the correct button and It seemed to be working well. Then i tried the same with the battery master. I tried mouse trapping it but that wasnt going to help me when assigning the way i needed to. I then choose the "I" key and used that through buttons and switches setting. Well I had it working but not properly. Here's my dilemma now. I pressed shift 5 to bring up the over head to check the battery switch and now the "shift 5" is making the battery go on and off. I tried to press alt to get the menu up and now that too is making the battery go on and off??? Any time i try and use alt key just a long ding ding ding ding ding sound like a button is being pressed all the time and nothing is working anymore. I feel all ive done now is totally mess up my sim and im really scared that ill have to reinstall stuff again...i can't go back that far..not when im this close!

Sorry for the venting, im just soo damn frustrated. Maybe thats why there is open cockpits and Leeksecon right?

Drewsta

Ok an update on my mid life crisis. Rather than continue to carry on like a pork chop, I tried to source the problem. I disconnected the Buo386x card and reconnected it and then restarted the computer. That seemed to stabalise things somewhat. I'm now back to the same problem . The momentary pushbuttons for Cancel/Recall , Engine/Status and Gear etc work just fine. I started with the taxi light next. I assigned it inside the leveld assignments and it works but poorly. Flick the switch lights on, flick the switch back and nothing. Switch it forward again, lights go out, flick it again and sometimes it come back on straight away. So the functions seem unstable. I have tried the fsuipc assignments with and without the little boxes ticked and that seems to do exactly the same thing. The landing lights are also the same.

Im at a loss now, anyone know of the fsuipc setup i should be using?

Drewsta

500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar

Hi,

Just did the same for the PMDG 737. I had the same problem, but I found the solution at the end...

Have you tried to put the same offset to both drop down menus of FSUIPC ?

Let me explain.... Let's take as example the TAXI LIGHTS...

Go to FSUIPC, Buttons + Switches tab, then put the cursor in the joy#.
    Press the button you wish to assign as TAXI LIGHTS.
    On the right you will see a check box, SELECT FOR FS CONTROL, check this one.
    Below on the right you have two drop down menus. Choose for both (control sent when button pressed & control sent when button released) the desired offset, which in our case is TOGGLE TAXI LIGHTS (or something like that, I am at work so I do not rememer exactly).
    Press OK.
    Does it works ?

Do the same for the rest of your switches.

The trick is to choose both drop down menus

Please try it out, I am sure it will work

Regards

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

hi drewsta..............
    first, please stay away from sharp objects
    i'll mail you later when i get back.
    rgds

ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsta View Post
    Hey Nico, I appreciate what your saying and I'm sure it is the best way possible but I don't know much at all about programming. You have around 900 pre defined variables I believe but we still have to write the sioc code right? Its not just a matter of cutting and pasting a few scripts is it? I would love to use the leeksecon program eventually when I have time to learn more about the sioc side of things. For the interim I wanted to use the BUO386x card to see me through.

Thanks mate
    Drewsta
    Hey Drewsta,

Writing code, yes, but the SIOC code is very very simple, just one-liners (it is more about configuring then programming).

For the beacon for instance you have to write:
    Code:
    Var 925 Static Link IOCARD_SW Device 0 Input ?  Type I
    (Var 925 is the representation of the (latched) beacon lights (on/off) switch in SIOC, provided by lekseecon)
    You only have to change the question mark into the input number you are using for your switch at your Opencockpits Master Card.

Running lekseecon is a piece of cake, just start it, no configuring needed, all automatic!

All the SIOC code for a complete Level-D 767 is available, you only have to copy /paste and adjust the hardware numbers.

So again, my advice is to stay away from the BUO386X card, that's only appropriate for aircrafts that have no SDK and for which you are forced to interface via key strokes or fsuipc offsets. And if you continue using that card you better use my free FSCONV program. It provides a whole new range of FSUIPC offsets particularly for the 767. Then you can switch on the beacon via a FSUIPC offset instead of via a key stroke.

But the combination Lekseecon/Opencockpits/SIOC is clearly the winner (for the 767). Lekseecon also gives you lights tests and (continuous) automatic synchronisation between your hardware switches and the panel switches for free... What other system can do that...?!!

It's a pity seeing you struggling with 'previous century technology' while there is a wealth of new tools available (for the 767).

regards,
    Nico
    P.S. here another example: the nose landing switch
    Last edited by kiek; 11-18-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Hey Drewsta,

Writing code, yes, but the SIOC code is very very simple, just one-liners (it is more about configuring then programming).

For the beacon for instance you have to write:
    Code:
    Var 925 Static Link IOCARD_SW Device 0 Input ?  Type I
    (Var 925 is the representation of the (latched) beacon lights (on/off) switch in SIOC, provided by lekseecon)
    You only have to change the question mark into the input number you are using for your switch at your Opencockpits Master Card.

Running lekseecon is a piece of cake, just start it, no configuring needed, all automatic!

All the SIOC code for a complete Level-D 767 is available, you only have to copy /paste and adjust the hardware numbers.

So again, my advice is to stay away from the BUO386X card, that's only appropriate for aircrafts that have no SDK and for which you are forced to interface via key strokes or fsuipc offsets. And if you continue using that card you better use my free FSCONV program. It provides a whole new range of FSUIPC offsets particularly for the 767. Then you can switch on the beacon via a FSUIPC offset instead of via a key stroke.

But the combination Lekseecon/Opencockpits/SIOC is clearly the winner (for the 767). Lekseecon also gives you lights tests and (continuous) automatic synchronisation between your hardware switches and the panel switches for free... What other system can do that...?!!

It's a pity seeing you struggling with 'previous century technology' while there is a wealth of new tools available (for the 767).

regards,
    Nico
    P.S. here another example: the nose landing switch
    Hey Nico, I thought I'd try your fsconv for my pit and see how that works out. The problem is I'm not sure where to go once fsuipc has started. I have loaded your Fsconv and used the configurator to set what I want to operate with 12 cycles selected. Then started fs9 loaded the Leveld767 and started Fsconv. It shows connection then the running icon, so all good there. Next I open fsuipc and go to the buttons and switches tab. I want to try the taxi light first so I flick the switch and it shows me the button number etc. I'm not sure where to go from here mate? I chose the right column and had a look down the list and saw a bunch of offset stuff about halfway down. What am I looking for and which offset numbers am I supposed to use from your pdf manual please? I'm using latching pushbuttons for the overhead (no rotaries at this stage) and Toggle switches for the lights. I'll use momentary buttons for eicas buttons and gear etc.

When looking at your manual I see for example the taxi light offset is 0x8B36, not sure why its RL, I thought it would be "T" for toggle? Where do the bit numbers come in? Not sure where to type those.

I did find this video but its for project magenta.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itv5J0aON8g

Thanks for your time
    Drewsta

Hi Drewsta,

Working with these FSControls, Offset Set Byte, Offset Byte Set Bits and so on (whatever they are exactly called) is part of FSUIPC. FSCONV provides the extra Level-d 767 offsets. Here a link to FSUIPC for dummies.

The Taxi Light Switch in FSUIPC (provided by FSCONV), is modelled as a Rotary Switch with two positions (which is the same as an on/off switch with two positions, such as your latched button switch). You can set that switch in the ON position by setting bit 1 of offset 0x8B36 to 1 and clearing bit 0 of that same offset. To put the Taxi Light Switch in the OFF position you have to set bit 0 and to clear bit 1. Note that you have to perform these operations without affecting other bits in the same offset, because those other bits control other switches.

The problem is that you cannot do this (set a bit and clear another bit in one go) with FSControls ... You need more advanced (software based) interface systems such as FSBUS or Opencockpits IOCards for that.

With your BU03... and FSControls you can only operate on switches that are modelled as 1 bit or as a byte or word value (still a lot). For instance the beacon (red) light switch can be switched ON via FSControl Offset Byte Set Bits at offset 0x8B34 with param 0x04 and switched OFF via Offset Byte Clr Bits at offset 0x8B34 with param 0x04.

But again, IMHO you better buy an Opencockpits USB expansion card + an Opencockpits Master Card. SIOC software is free, lekseecon is free. With an investment of approx 150 Euro you have a much more powerful (and a lot easier to deal with) SIOC interface. Compared to other investments in hardware for a home cockpit (Yoke, Pedals, Throttle) this is not very much.

Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 11-19-2010 at 07:44 AM.

8. Thanks AK Mongo thanked for this post

Thanks Nico, i'ts appreciated, I'll order the master card and usb expansion in the near future and start a new overhead as a side project. I'm keen to see how leekseecon really works. I may have to pic your manuals, the forum and your brain alot in the early stages! Just a question, how did you work out the parameter for the beacon? I can't find that in your manual, all I can find is under BIT it has the number 2.

Thanks mate
    Drewsta

You have to understand a little bit of bytes and bits and masks, it is described in the FSUIPC for dummies link of my previous post. But in short, in order to "address/select" bit 2 of a byte you have to apply HEX 04 as mask...

while:
    bit 0: mask 0x01
    bit 1: mask 0x02
    bit 2: mask 0x04
    bit 3: mask 0x08
    bit 4: mask 0x10
    bit 5: mask 0x20
    bit 6: mask 0x40
    bit 7: mask 0x80

You should read it like this: The FSControl operation "masks" the addressed byte with the parameter. If the mask/parameter is 0x04, only bit 2 is affected. So in a Set control bit 2 will be set to 1 and in a Clr control, bit 2 will be set to 0.

Nico

150+ Forum Groupie

Sounds to me like the "enable joystick" box is checked on,, in the fs settings ??
    You should make sure it is off. Sometimes when FS is started that 'enable joystick " setting turns itself on ?? For some reason. When this happens,, FS automatically assigns certain switches and axis to the joystick . That would screw up your FSUIPC assignments and double some up etc !!

The BU0 card shows up as a joystick but you should turn it off in FS and only go through FSUIPC. Double check every so often that the "enable joystick " option hasn't turned itself on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast