Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A380 Blows Engine

AP
    Nov. 4: A Qantus A380 jumbo jet made an emergency landing in Singapore after suffering engine failure in mid-air.

2. Thanks Geremy Britton thanked for this post

Re: A380 Blows Engine

Sincere respect to the pilots who have obviously done an incredibly good job. And Qantas seems to pertain its very high standards of pilotage, for which it is known for so many years now. Thankfully, no one was injured.
    There is an interesting discussion going on in the pprune forums, which I follow closely. Again, tons to learn there about aircraft technology and safety issues up to the tiniest details.
    So far, it is assumed, that there was an uncontained engine failure and parts of the turbine disk were extruded from the engine, leaving damage on the port wing upper surface, which could have been close to disaster, if the hot parts would have reached the wing fuel tank. - Another interesting point is, that the engine could probably not be shut off by the pilots from the cockpit, because the cables to the engine seem to run all where the wing was hit by the loose parts. The engine could only be extinguished when the aircraft had landed by the fire brigades.

4. Thanks Geremy Britton thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choffmann View Post
    Another interesting point is, that the engine could probably not be shut off by the pilots from the cockpit, because the cables to the engine seem to run all where the wing was hit by the loose parts. The engine could only be extinguished when the aircraft had landed by the fire brigades.
    That's scary!!! Think I will avoid the A380 in my travels.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choffmann View Post
    Sincere respect to the pilots who have obviously done an incredibly good job. And Qantas seems to pertain its very high standards of pilotage, for which it is known for so many years now. Thankfully, no one was injured.
    There is an interesting discussion going on in the pprune forums, which I follow closely. Again, tons to learn there about aircraft technology and safety issues up to the tiniest details.
    So far, it is assumed, that there was an uncontained engine failure and parts of the turbine disk were extruded from the engine, leaving damage on the port wing upper surface, which could have been close to disaster, if the hot parts would have reached the wing fuel tank. - Another interesting point is, that the engine could probably not be shut off by the pilots from the cockpit, because the cables to the engine seem to run all where the wing was hit by the loose parts. The engine could only be extinguished when the aircraft had landed by the fire brigades.
    I think is highly Improbable that they could not shut down the Engine... If that was the case throwing it to idle which is the Procedure on most Jet aircraft will cool it down a bit plus there are several ways to shut down an Engine being the easiest one Pulling the Engine Master which cuts power and fuel to the engine... Pushing the Fire extinguishing Switch on all Airbus, Cuts, fuel, closes the HYDRAULIC SHUTTOFF VALVE and de-energizes the FADEC shutting down the engine as well as other things!
    Trust me these engines and aircraft are certified for things like these... What was burning on the Engine when they landed was actually the Engine frame itself that normally are not reached by the Fire extinguishers since you had a big internal damage there where still parts burning from the Engine being hot and bits and pieces falling down from the highly damaged engine... It happened to an Iberia 747 couple of years ago they shut down the engine but the thing was still burning and they landed safely! Same thing Fire Brigade had to extinguish flames... Anyways even if the Engine is not burning it is procedure to throw the Fire extingushing liquid to the damaged engine for safety procedure!!

Excellent job by the Crew but trust me we all get trained for this kind of stuff not only the QUANTAS guys!

Regards,

Roberto

7. Thanks W9XE/Project777, choffmann thanked for this post