Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

5 volt connection

If you want to connect many wires to the same 5volt connection, instead of trying to jam all the wires in the same connection or solder them all to the same little pin, is there some sort of connector you can buy? That way I could connect all the power wires into that connector and then just wire that connector the 5volt pin/connector? I know i could just grab all the ends and then twist them all together and attach that to the 5volt. Hoping there might be an easier solution.

thanks
    Drewsta

300+ Forum Addict

Re: 5 volt connection

Yes, you can do this three ways:

1. Use a Euro or American Style Terminal/Barrier Strip and use an Barrier Jumper (insert) to link all inputs and wires together.

Look here at RadioShack's items:

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...2032289&s=null

2. Get a blank circuit board and solder them together to the board using a copper metal strip.

3. Goto Flightdeck Solutions and order the following item, as it comes with everything you need:

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=639

Yes, it's made for IBL distribution, but it is nothing more than a 5-volt distribution card and it can be used with any 5 volt input (such as PSU) and 5 volt outputs. This will give you 10 connection points.

John

Hi all, could someone help a novice out please. I have just bought a 300 watt power supply and had it tested and put under load at the shop. It checked out fine and showed the red 5 volt connection is good, the yellow 12 volt connection is good etc. I hooked up an Led pushbutton to the 5 volt red wire and black ground of course and got nothing. I pressed the button on and off , just to make sure. I tried hooking up a backlit plate that all you had to do was add 5 volts to and still nothing. Am I missing something because I thought it was a straight forward as that from the research I've done and what they said at the shop. I read somewhere that an ATX power supply must have some sort of load on it, either a motherboard or testing device in order to power up?

Any help would be appreciated
    Drewsta

500+ This must be a daytime job

Drewstar

ATX power supplies need to be turned on electronically. You do this by by inserting a wire into the motherboard power plug to connect between the green wire and any of the black wires in the plug

David

300+ Forum Addict

Daivd is right about the power supply being turned on. I know the shop turned it on and volt tested it for you, but you did turn it on once you got home right? I know that sounds silly and I don't mean any disrespect.

It's just sometimes all of us have overlooked the simple things many times before. If you did what David said and the LED didn't light up, my first question would be what rating is the LED in the pushbutton? Most times the LED needs a resistor unless you use ones that have resistors built in. However, just to be sure go purchase a cheap multimeter/volt meter, and then you'll be able to check the PSU for voltages yourself. Plus, have it for future use because you will need one for sure later...

Finally, what method did you use for connecting all the wires as you asked in your first post above? Did you purchase something, make something or just slap it together? Hope you didn't do the slap it together approach because you'll wind-up redoing it later...just ask anyone here about that, you know, the "into big of a hurry to get it flying approach", which leaves you redoing it later because the wires shorted out or something. Or, you melted the power strip and carpet because you figure 2 outlets is enough to run your entire sim, when you actually use enough power that the Electric Company has a special meter with your name on it, and the workers there all know when you're flying your sim because the say to each other...

"Oh look! The meter is jsut a spinning, John is running his sim again, he must of just got out of bed... We better call up the Nuclear Power Plant to boost the power up another 1.21 Jigowatts for him again!"...lol Yes, that was a reference to "Back to the Future" as it has been 25 years since that movie came out...

Anyway..., Drewsta, post pictures of your project and some that are about the items you're talking about. Everyone in here at MYC loves pictures, so put up a few.

John

Hey guys, I got it working! Thanks a million for your help and support. I take my hat off to this website, forum and all who contribute to it. I did exactly as Fordgt40 stated. I stuck a wire between the green wire and black ground on the main cable for the motherboard.....and ...hey presto, she powered up! The Led pushbuttons I use have a built in resistor and work beautifully! Can't wait to light a few of those babies up on the overhead As for the MCP..OMG! I have been lucky enough to aquire the Aerosoft MCP from Rhys which also has a purpose built backlit 767 frontplate made by Phil and with that lit up, its looks amazing. I am one happy camper!! So I now have easy access to 5volts and 12volts for the sim. I'll update some pics and post them shortly.

Thanks again for all the support.
    Drewsta