Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    300+ Forum Addict

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: I'm new to MyCockpit!

FSUIPC is an interprocess communications module that runs in the Flight Simulator process space. In the earliest versions, back in the days of FS5, an offset was an index into the shared memory space used by Flight Simulator. As Flight Simulator (and, I suspect, the software development tools used to code it) evolved, the allocation of memory for Flight Simulator variables became more and more fragmented. FSUIPC has evolved along with FS so while offsets no longer index into a simple heap of data memory, they still give that appearance.

10+ Posting Member

Mike, Thanks for the great info, Makes sense!

10+ Posting Member

John, Thank you. That was a great explanation. It is starting to make sense. Thank you.

300+ Forum Addict

Hey Gil,

You are most welcomed. Yes, Mike is right; FSUIPC was/is made to fill a void in FS. Although, FS has evolved over time, Peter Dowson with FSUIPC has evolved with it; especially, with FSX, Sim-Connect and Lua. Lua is a programming language that works for those special aspects of programming for FS. I plan to learn it in the future, but I'm still working on learning SIOC for OpenCockpits cards for now.

You can learn more about Lua here:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=73176

and here:

http://www.lua.org/about.html

On a different note, I understand that the KAP 140 as being a Autopilot unit and that you've been using it with a Cessna type aircraft sim. If it is your plan to continue to use it with this type of aircraft, I ask what model of the Cessna will it be, and is this Cessna an add-on or a default aircraft. The reasoning is to find out if the model is supporting the KAP 140 already? If it is, that makes things easier because you can use FSUIPC to push the buttons, turn the knobs and more.

If you're planning to make your own KAP 140, that can be done too. You could use a program like Panel Studio. However, isn't it shift-2 that brings up the KAP-140 in a Cessna? If not, I found this for you:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1006/Gauges/Gauges.htm

You could use the KAP-140 that is part of the Friendly Panels FP Gauges Pack 1 package.

It can be purchased here:

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=1114

For more information about KAP-140 Autopilots, go here:

Note- this is a powerpoint that opens in the browser, I found it to be safe to open.

http://www.flyingneutrons.com/docume....ppt#256,1,KAP 140 Autopilot

Finally, to answer your questions about FSUIPC being used with this panel, it would be easy. You could use a small screen like a Playstation (PS) One screen or smaller LCD screen to place behind a panel with the KAP-140 style facing. You'd need some push buttons and a single or dual rotary. You could have Flightdeck Solutions (FDS) are a similar company to make button annunciators that look like the ones on the front of the KAP-140, and even have them make the panel as a back lit type panel. You could make this yourself if you have access to a laser engraver and plexi supplies.

The FSUIPC part would be used to work the panel in FS, so if you push HDG button on the KAP-140, the HDG info would show on the LCD screen behind the panel Or, if you turn the rotary you'd see info change on the KAP-140 LCD screen in relation to that turning. As for the I/O hardware cards, you could use FDS SYS cards or Opencockpits; I like FDS SYS cards because I don't have to learn SIOC any more than needed.

Additionally, if you can program your PIC to do more, then go at that, but you need a way for the hardware to be connected to the PIC, and the PIC software to talk to FSUIPC. In my opinion, I'd go with an FDS SYS card with Inputs and Outputs, and a card to handle the rotaries. A FDS-FC1 card could do that and also work as your joystick controller card. Opencockpits has the Encoders Card to handle rotaries and the Master card could do the Ins and Outs. Opencockpits is cheaper in price, but you might need to use SIOC.

If you have no problem learning that, then SIOC is great for programming. However, I just like FDS SYS cards because they're way easier, so that is why I'd suggest them first.

You can get more info about FDS and OpenCockpits here:

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/l...ucts.php?id=22

http://www.opencockpits.com/index.php

Good luck with your adventures.

John

Welcome to Mycockpit.org Gil. Great to have someone with such extensive experience in professional aircraft simulators.

Cheers

Rhydian

300+ Forum Addict

Gil,

It's amazing to talk about something and then that thing comes along really quick. In the classifieds someone posted this today, here:

http://www.mycockpit.org/mcpclass/fo...interface.html

This almost looks like your KAP-140. Not 100%, but the same idea is there about the buttons, rotaries, lcd screen and etc. I'm sure there are the I/O cards behind it that you don't see, as well as the software to interface with FSUIPC, or this is likely dedicated like GoFlight Software. Still, it's in line to what you have in mind...

One last thing, I apologize if my postings might sound as if I could be talking downwards. I am not thinking that at all, I just have a tendency to explain things a little more because I know there might be another person who is a similar boat as you, but they're further behind. So, maybe the longer explanations help them catch up.

As you've said, you can do this KAP-140 on your own, with own hardware and software coding and it's mainly understanding FSUIPC further, that you're looking to do. Thus, I'd say take a look at the FSUIPC Offsets lists that I put in the earlier post. The list really gives you a run down of the offsets.

You'll find this out pretty quick, that Peter Dowson has offset values that are common (meaning not belonging too anyone) and then there are offsets that are dedicated (in a sense) to developers/companies. That is why you see a Project Magenta offsets list.

Finally, I overlooked this, but Mike Powell posted here and yet I forgot about his book (sorry Mike). Please check out his book "Building Recreational Flight Simulators"-A Mike's Flight Deck Book. You can find more about here:

www.mikesflightdeckbooks.com

You'll find a lot of the answers that might help out on pages 541-563 "Interfacing with MSFS" chapter. Yet, the entire book has so much more information, you'll find it useful for just about every part of building and flying flight simulators.

Otherwise, some of the big Guru's of FSUIPC, who are programmers, and hang out on MYC, can jump in here to really help you dive in deeper...

Best Regards,

John

10+ Posting Member

Wow! Great information! Makes perfect sense! I spent the day reading and going through FSUIPC trying this and that....Heck, before the day was out I had the so-called Garmin 530ish looking GPS in FS humming with buttons and keys. I hijacked the GoFlight controls to test out how the "process" works and it was not hard at all.

Don't worry about the sound of words because there's lots to learn and with these few posts I have been able to make a significant investment in understanding the MSFS.

Heck, I no longer have to move windows all around during startup. Everything is exactly in the right place on startup. I have been moving windows around for years but NO MORE!

And now I have button and knob control over the GPS (just testing)!

Now my brain is swimming with ideas and my original Goflight module idea has been tossed! With what you have taught me and the eight hours I spent in the hot (it must have been a 100) hangar was well worth it!

Lots to learn! Thanks...

10+ Posting Member

Oh...yep I'm buying the book!

10+ Posting Member