Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Glass Cockpit Software

OK fellas.....I currently have FSxpand, but it is too unreliable (quits in middle of flight) about 20% of the time, if I go up to the FX menu to open GPS, or change views too fast. I am seeking an alternative that is MORE stable, but NOT price prohibitive. I am running on my main computer windows 7, my Capt and FO computers (2 seperate computers) Windows Vista, and for my center panel and CDU screen Windows XP. My main computer has an I7 processor with 12 gb of ram, my video card is a Ge-Force GTX-250 with 1 Gig of ram. What is an alternative to FSxpand that will NOT put me in the poorhouse. I have a limited income (retired) so I want to spend my money wisely. Thanks for the input. Dave

75+ Posting Member

Re: Glass Cockpit Software

Thats a shame on the FSXPAND, im considering it for my EICAS and Standby instruments. I havent too many issues in trial mode.

My software right now is a mixture. My PFD is Ellie Systems http://www.ellieavionics.com/store/default.aspx. My ND and EICAS are currently beta versions of Aerosofts software coming out soon http://www.aerosoft.com.au/home/index.html. The Aerosoft is the only one that contains any system logic and I personally believe it to be very promising.

I find the price points fit my needs just fine. As of right now I dont want to spend the $$ associated with PM or Sim Avionics..

Scott

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by davemckee View Post
    OK fellas.....I currently have FSxpand, but it is too unreliable (quits in middle of flight) about 20% of the time, if I go up to the FX menu to open GPS, or change views too fast. I am seeking an alternative that is MORE stable, but NOT price prohibitive. I am running on my main computer windows 7, my Capt and FO computers (2 seperate computers) Windows Vista, and for my center panel and CDU screen Windows XP. My main computer has an I7 processor with 12 gb of ram, my video card is a Ge-Force GTX-250 with 1 Gig of ram. What is an alternative to FSxpand that will NOT put me in the poorhouse. I have a limited income (retired) so I want to spend my money wisely. Thanks for the input. Dave
    Hi Dave,

Have you considered free open source software? I've don't used MS based products and run full scale 737/747 cockpits with FlightGear, OSG, and OpenGC packages under Linux. The entire sim runs on a SINGLE dual core computer so I avoid all the hassles with networking and connecting multiple machines and the frame rate is over 100fps -- more than fast enough

BTW, also located in California. If you're reasonably close (or not) more than welcome to come by and view my setup.

John

500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar

That's an interesting thread

I too had issues with the demo setup of the FSXpand. Fortunately I didn't buy it first. Eventhough I have already invested thousand of euros to my project, I find PM too expensive and I will not invest till NGX comes out. After NGX release I will decide. I am looking too for alternatives, so I am all ears

75+ Posting Member

Well, if you're interested and "all ears", go to "www.lfstech.com". Primary users are professional organizations that purchase licenses for libraries and source code.

You may contact me via PM for more details if you wish.

There is a free demo/starter package. Downside is you have to wean yourself away from the MS gorilla and willing to learn Linux ( which is not all that hard for the average competent user ).

John

I run fsxpand on a second pc for my standby and eicas, i never used the demo just straight in and bought it, I have never experienced any freezes,or crashes at all.
    I do remember having probs when i first bought fsxpand but this was resolved by updating gpu drivers, its an old pc running xp which hadnt been used for a year or so.
    How about;-
    http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/content/home
    regards
    steve

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by BishBash View Post
    I run fsxpand on a second pc for my standby and eicas, i never used the demo just straight in and bought it, I have never experienced any freezes,or crashes at all.
    I do remember having probs when i first bought fsxpand but this was resolved by updating gpu drivers, its an old pc running xp which hadnt been used for a year or so.
    How about;-
    http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/content/home
    regards
    steve
    Stev: I never had problems with the demo, but purchased the 5.7 FSxpand. Ran well for awhile then latelymit does have this problem. Today I had a successful flight with NO problems but I try to keep my flights to around 1hr 15 mins. If I go longer and I loose the flight by FSX restarting then I'm really pissed. I haven't installed any new software for the sim so I'm confused as to why it's acting up. Dave

75+ Posting Member

Where in California do you live? Dave

Programmer

Maybe I can be of assistance here. My suite is almost ready to go public. We're looking at a public beta in a couple of weeks. I can handout fully functional beta's to anyone who wants it. It's a full 737-800 suite. The main system will be free, addon module's will be 100 euro per piece. This will make the total package about 300 euro's with lifetime updates. Will support all available hardware and includes a complete autopilot with accurate flight director/CDU's/FMS with full Arcin424 LNAV/Display's/Sounds/Instructor station.

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by davemckee View Post
    Where in California do you live? Dave
    Southern part, Whittier specifically..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast