150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Windows7 and Project Magenta

I was running the PFD, CDU, MCP & pmSystems on Windows Vista but kept having problems so I upgraded both computers to Windows7. I have FS9 running on Windows7 64bit and Project Magenta on a Windows7 32bit computer. I have followed the instructions for setting everything up and sharing FS9, CDU, Netdir, FSPLANS etc. with full priviledges, turned off firewalls, no antivirus, FSUIPC and WideFS both registered to me, and I cannot get Wideclient to connect with FS. I can see shared folders from both computers. I just can't understand what in Windows 7 is blocking communication. I've been fighting with this for weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions. I really miss flying!

Jerry

Re: Windows7 and Project Magenta

hello jerry

i am new to PM and win7 i myself have set up a net work with win7 64 bit and my clients have the same i have not set fsplans yet because i do not know how to find it on fsx and rename it over the network as PM asks but without doing this PM is working not very well with a few problems but this is what i am trying to fix know
    have you updated FSUIPC and WIDEFS and really thats all i did
    updated FSUIPC/WIDEFS and on the new clients i just downloaded WIDEFS
    extracted to a file and then made a shortcut of wideclient fs
    then i load fsx lrun wideclient on the client pc and it works fine
    i am having problems with that FSPLANS thing to name looks easy on xp but the win7 menu is a bit diffrent

hope you problem is fixed soon as i understand i havent been flighing for 3 weeks
    with all this new pc network PM
    regards

10+ Posting Member

Hi Jerry, I have a very mixed network,
    FSX and FSX, and PM Boeing GC running on XP,
    CDU MCP running on Windows7 64 bit and also PMSystems (the demo Version, as I cant afford the full version yet!) running on Windows 7 64 bit.
    I also have a virtual XP machine running under VMware 6 on the windows 7 machine which I have some SIMKit guages.
    There are also a couple of XP laptops one running some FDT boards, the other I am looking to run some opencockpits boards.
    However to get all this lot talking I had to do some quite basic setup stuff, some or all of which may apply:
    Firstly make sure the user name and password is the same on each machine, it simplifies the network permissions side of things.
    Set the network "workgroup" name to be the same on each machine, you get to it under "control panel" "system", "computer name" tab in xp
    In Windows 7 its under "Control Panel", "System and security""system"
    I run AVG as the antivirus and Firewall, it all works as long as the firewall setting is set to "Computer in Domain" as the firewall profile. Most Firewall software allows you to set a trusted IP address range to pass all traffic, generally your network router will allocate addresses in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254, if this is your network range you simply enter this as a trusted range in the firewall exclusions settings. It is also worthwhile to make sure that each machine recieves the same IP address each time from the router, you should be able to do this from the Router control panel, if not you can allocate fixed IP addresses in the network adapter settings on each machine. The allernative is to let the router allocate what it wishes and then run IPCONFIG from a command window on each machine (see below) to find out what the IP address allocated to it. Make a note of this and use it in the WIDECLIENT.INI file (see below)
    Sorting out the FSUIPC and Wideclient can be an issue, there are some recommendations in the PM documentation about setting up FSUIPC and WideFS , I found that you really do need to follow that advice and make sure each client is using the Server IP address rather than just its network name , this is a typical setting "ServerIPAddr=102.168.1.100"
    "protocolpreferred=TCP". If you want to a good check to see if one machine can "see" another over IP is to use the "Ping" command, Just open up a DOS command box using "Run" "Command" from the windows start button and type in Ping 192.168.1.100 or whatever the allocated ip address of the target machine is. The response will be a series of connection tests to the target machine. It will be obvious if it succeeds. I am sorry if all of this is like teaching Granny to suck eggs, but you might find a clue here to your problem

Hope you manage to sort it
    Regards Mike

150+ Forum Groupie

Mike,

I tried all your suggestions but to no avail. I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and reinstall everything under XP. The thing that really bugs me is that I had it all working for 1 day. I can't for the life of me figure out what went wrong or how to fix it.

Jerry

150+ Forum Groupie

Spiro

Have you figured out how to share FSPLANS yet? All you have to do is go to your documents folder, right click on "Flight Simulator X Files" folder, choose properties, the Sharing tab, Advanced Sharing button, check the Share this folder box, and change the share name to FSPLANS.

Jerry

hi jerry
    yes i got that fixed at last!!!!! i done exactlly that
    the problem was i had 2 files in the documents
    first was microsoft flight simulator
    and microsoft flight simulator X
    i had shared the first file witch was wrong and dont know how it got there but i erased it
    and shared the x file and all is ok
    but when i run the pm check file i get 1 error saying

share fs path over the network

when i open the shared files on each client i can not see the fsx file that why i am getting that message
    on the main sever were fsx and 1 GC aplication of PM is that tests is ok i also see fsx file shared there
    i have tryed every thing to share it over the clients but dont know why it will not share wide fs conects ok to fsx
    i see it saying 2 client connected
    what should i do and how?????

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

hi,
    I might have a solution, as I had the same issue.
    I have a french version of win7 so I don't know what are the correct exact translation of the english version.
    First go to control panel then look for something like "network and sharing"
    In the right top corner you should have something meaning: "modify advanced sharing parameter" (the 3rd line)
    There is 2 menus, find out the "residential or professionnal" and click on the arrow next to it to extend the options.
    Find:"sharing password protected" and select desactivate.

Try again the pmcheckfile software
    Hope it will work!

Guillaume