Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simquip

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Simquip

Hi Guys, it's great to see a new company like Simquip making good progress in the sim industry and I wish them well. However I did think some of their prices were a little steep.

Example:

PUSH BUTTON ILLUMINATED LED
    $12.00
    THESE ARE A CHEAP COPY OF THE HMS AML 20 SERIES SWITCHES WITH A RED LED INSTALLED INTO THE LEGEND.IT IS A LATCHED ALTERNATE SWITCH.
    ACTION: ALTERNATING ON-OFF
    TACTILE CLICK:YES
    CAPACITY:3 AMP @ 250VDC
    MOUNTING HOLE:19MM(.75”)SQUARE
    TERMINATION: SOLDER PINS
    DELIVERY:IMMEDIATE
    MANUFACTURER: NOT SPECIFIED

This switch is a great switch and forgive me if I'm wrong, they have it advertised for $12 per switch? I just bought 50 of these exact switches off ebay for $44 Australian with free posting.

I certainly don't want to upset anyone or start a war, I'm just wondering wether or not this company knows how cheaply these switches can be purchased.

Hopefully a diplomatic
    Drewsta

Re: Simquip

Drewsta I saw the link to the site as well and thought we might have a reasonable sim parts shop here in Oz but their prices are ... well ... expensive.

Certainly wont draw me away from ebay purchasing thats for sure.

I bought an electronic checklist from a USA ebay store. All up including postage was under $30. Even if i didnt want the checklist function I could get hte soldering iron out and have 11 switches available as well as 10 LEDs.

Hopefully they will check the market and adjust prices to become somewhat more competitive.
    Cheers
    Dave

Drewsta,

I just checked out this site. I'd never been there before.

Like you, I don't set out to upset people, or start wars (I do finish them though). I'll jump on this grenade. They're kidding right? Are they serious with those prices? Landing Light switches for $300???

$28 for a knob? Must be the high speed name... KNOB, GRIP PULL WITH REVERSE ORIENTATION FLAT. I'm in the military... so I'm not impressed with high-speed naming conventions... for instance, take a "static-line slack retainer band". If you jump out of functional airplane's for a living, you know what that is... it's a rubber-band, although I won't tell you what Uncle Sam pays for that rubber band.

$6 for a "small-form-factor cooling fan"? What is it, a real world avionics cooling fan? No, it's a small computer cooling fan you can get anywhere online for a buck.

I'm all about supporting a company that further's the hobby. Are FS items expensive. Yes, but we understand why the costs are high. These high costs are un-merited.

A real-world diplomat,

Cheers, Warren

300+ Forum Addict Anderson/SBSP's Avatar

I Think that the people of this company had lost the notion! They sell real parts of airplanes? For God! 18.000 for a chair?

Maybe the parts come from Boeing!! hehehehe
    Anderson Roberto de Souza - Brazil / São Paulo
    Blog: www.737ngsim.com.br Twitter: @ARSouza

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi guys, I thought I had ozzie competition but I was just dreaming!!! I welcome Simquip to the market and wish them good luck with their sales!

My new prototype yoke column head product is nearly finished! It's an 80mm PVC elbow housing encorporating a hollow axle for yoke button wiring mounted in a needle roller bearing, a geared potentiometer drive with a wired pot, a flat flange for mounting a yoke handle, 180 degree rotation with limit stops and a pulley on the back of the axle for linking double column set ups - pics coming soon...

Cheers Gwyn
    www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

6. Thanks mpl330 thanked for this post

Hi Drewsta,

Do you have any thoughts on where I could get an Airbus sidestick controller (real or very authentic) to make into a gift for the dean of our business school? Price should be very reasonable...

Thanks,
    Awarmack

25+ Posting Member

I can shed some light on the subject of simquip as I have seen products in the flesh and had lengthy conversations with chris the owner.

Simquip might not be for everyone building a sim at home. The first time I stepped foot in a simquip 737 device i was astonished at the level this company is operating at. It's much higher than the home simulator market. This company is in the real simulator market. Chris has made many high fidelity devices for customers that need real training devices to meet particular standards. I love the concept of being able to buy the cheap plastic "almost a copy but not quite right" stuff from the famous usual suppliers..like flightdecksutions etc.. It's great we have many suppliers to choose from. But simquip is a step above again. It's all about context. High end knowledge and exact parts that meet particular CAA/FAA etc criterior cost alot.

The other thing I would like to say is that chris is a terribly nice bloke. He has spent years in the simulator industry and has a formidable span of industry knowledge.

So next time you look on his site at an $18,000 seat, just think who that equipment and those prices are aimed at. It's for the big end of town. We are pretty lucky chris keeps his bonds with the home sim community and I thank him very much.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Just a side note.... Some of our suppliers, like Flightdecksolutions (since they were mentioned above) and others, do manufacture parts for "Real training devices" or in other word FTD's. I've seen and have in my possession parts from vendors made for the Home Cockpit Builders and the Professional arena. My point is, Simquip is not alone in providing professional like parts to our community of sim builders.

Matt Olieman

75+ Posting Member

Not to nitpick here but FDS's customer include my previous and current employers (Boeing and GE Aviation) as well as the FAA and other customers that require real training devices..... I'm failing to see an 18k seat on their site. getting pretty close to IPECO wolesale prices there...

25+ Posting Member

guys...thanks for the valid responses.

The majority of Simquips gear is leaning in the direction of pro-level (we are talking level d stuff here not pro level fixed base training devices)......where the other suppliers have lines for the home builder as well.

Im sure Chris could knock up cheap "close to" plastic fantastic versions and charge way less, but thats not the type of service his business provides.

what if fds only had their pro level prices on their site....you would recoil in aghast!!

its not about fds....it could be any vendor. I thought sim quips prices might have given at least a small hint about the background and market they play in.

im kind of stunned about this thread.

The Porsche car sales yard pops up amongst the Toyota sales yards and all us Toyota drivers have a dig at it?

Really fellas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast