Thread: SIDS and STARS

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

SIDS and STARS

Hi Guys

I have been flighing PMDG 747 on FS2004 and FSX, but everytime i plan to flight,
    the ATC just says depart out or depart west, it doesn't say fly certain SID.
    Even when I approach my destination, it doesn't say which STAR to use.
    On many occasion, I plan to land for example ILS runway 16, when i approach the airport,
    they ask me to land on a different runway.
    How do i know which runway are they going to make me land.
    Also how do i get ATC to give me SIDs or STARS.

thanks in advance for your help

Re: SIDS and STARS

Are you flying online or are you flying with the FS ATC?

I can't tell you about FSX, but with FS9 ATC you can ask for a different landing runway. As for flying specific departures (SIDs) and arrivals (STARs), you out of luck. FS9 just isn't smart enough. There are several add-ons you can buy to enhance that though.

As for online, a lot of it depends on time of day, traffic, who's working the various controllers spots and where you're flying to. I know flying out of Denver, you'll almost always get a standard departure (SID), especially departing to the west. Arriving at Denver it's almost always a STAR.

Online you can always ask for a specific departure or arrival too. As for runway selection, FS9 always gives you the main runway closest to the wind direction. Online, you usually be told what runway to expect for take-off by the ground or tower when you get your clearance. You can always request a runway too. On landing, your arrival will pretty much give you a clue to the runway, you can listen to what runway others ahead of you are landing on, and again, you can ask approach what runway to expect.

In real-life... it's a crap-shoot. Unless you fly that route often, or are local, well.. that's what CRM (Cockpit Resource Management) is for.

Cheers,

Warren

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for your help Warren

Quote Originally Posted by wsoeldner View Post
    Are you flying online or are you flying with the FS ATC?

I can't tell you about FSX, but with FS9 ATC you can ask for a different landing runway. As for flying specific departures (SIDs) and arrivals (STARs), you out of luck. FS9 just isn't smart enough. There are several add-ons you can buy to enhance that though.

As for online, a lot of it depends on time of day, traffic, who's working the various controllers spots and where you're flying to. I know flying out of Denver, you'll almost always get a standard departure (SID), especially departing to the west. Arriving at Denver it's almost always a STAR.

Online you can always ask for a specific departure or arrival too. As for runway selection, FS9 always gives you the main runway closest to the wind direction. Online, you usually be told what runway to expect for take-off by the ground or tower when you get your clearance. You can always request a runway too. On landing, your arrival will pretty much give you a clue to the runway, you can listen to what runway others ahead of you are landing on, and again, you can ask approach what runway to expect.

In real-life... it's a crap-shoot. Unless you fly that route often, or are local, well.. that's what CRM (Cockpit Resource Management) is for.

Cheers,

Warren

75+ Posting Member

For your approaches and figuring out the runway (excuse me if this is insulting your intelligence!) consider the weather. I am not sure how to check the weather at your destination airport when flying offline, but as I fly online with VATSIM almost all the time, the METAR report will usually tell me in advance which runway to expect at my destination. I guess if you have 'Use Real world weather' set in FS, then using a website like http://www.weathercharts.org/metartaf.htm should show the same weather. It's not UK only - type in the ICAO designator for your airport. It has a vast database.

The only way this will fail is, of course, at airports with parallel runways like Heathrow. But the difference in your approach between 9L and 9R is hopefully just a matter if changing the ILS frequency!

Nigel.
    I can't see the light but I think I found the tunnel...
    www.shamrock075.webs.com

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by NigelD View Post
    For your approaches and figuring out the runway (excuse me if this is insulting your intelligence!) consider the weather. I am not sure how to check the weather at your destination airport when flying offline, but as I fly online with VATSIM almost all the time, the METAR report will usually tell me in advance which runway to expect at my destination. I guess if you have 'Use Real world weather' set in FS, then using a website like http://www.weathercharts.org/metartaf.htm should show the same weather. It's not UK only - type in the ICAO designator for your airport. It has a vast database.

The only way this will fail is, of course, at airports with parallel runways like Heathrow. But the difference in your approach between 9L and 9R is hopefully just a matter if changing the ILS frequency!

Nigel.

25+ Posting Member

HI
    I registered with VATSIM, but im having difficult using it.
    Do i have to be online or connected via fs to use it.
    thanks

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by stepbk View Post
    HI
    I registered with VATSIM, but im having difficult using it.
    Do i have to be online or connected via fs to use it.
    thanks
    Have you not been to http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/ and read all the information there?? Consider reading all the information for pilots trying to join VATSIM - I think you will find it helpful.

No, that's wrong - it's essential.

Flying on VATSIM is fun, but there are rules and regulations, and we try to make it as real as possible. You will get yourself in trouble and not enjoy it very much if you have not read the resources made freely available on the VATSIM pages.

Nigel.
    www.shamrock075.webs.com

25+ Posting Member

Hi

Ive registered with VATSIM, and installed Sqwuartbox. I choose my plan, and connect the sqwartbox.
    but no one talk or sends a message.
    I did check out http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/ but i probably have missed it.
    can anyone please tell me what im doing wrong.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by stepbk View Post
    Hi

Ive registered with VATSIM, and installed Sqwuartbox. I choose my plan, and connect the sqwartbox.
    but no one talk or sends a message.
    I did check out http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/ but i probably have missed it.
    can anyone please tell me what im doing wrong.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Are you tuned in to Unicom - 122.80? This is the default frequency if you are not with ATC. Everyone should be using that to announce what they are doing. With Squawkbox there is no voice on Unicom - it's text only. FSInn does allow voice but it is not permitted in Vatsim rules to use Unicom as a voice channel. You may be out of range ofother aircraft so that's why you are not seeing messages from them. Did you check if there were other aircraft in your are when you connected? Try connecting at an airpoirt where there is ATC online and listen to them, hear what is going on and get a feel. Try a radio check - make sure your headset or whatever is working. This is strongly recommended. You can download Vatspy free of charge and use that to see who is online.

If you are in uncontrolled airspace or airport, everyone should be announcing their intentions by text on Unicom. For example, "EIDW traffic, push and start at gate 407", then "EIDW traffic, taxi to rway 28 via link 2, E and F." And so on for every phase of flight. Watch the messages that come up - if someone announces they are on finals, you should not be lining up on the runway! Landing traffic has priority. Unless they announced nothing, as some pilots do. That makes me so mad!

I can't say it enough - log on at a controlled airport and listen to what is happening. It is important to get a feel for ATC as it's a big jump from fling off line. Controllers will help you - provided you have helped yourself and know the things they expect you to know.

Nigel.
    www.shamrock075.webs.com