75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

converting real 737 controls and rudder pedals

Hi,
    Has anyone converted real 737 yokes and rudder pedals for sim use? I am looking for some plans and ideas on how to do it. I have the yokes and torque tube. as well as the aileron boxes that link the ailerons togeather. I also have both sets of rudder pedals. Even if you have some pictures that i can get a few ideas from would be great. Thanking you all in advance
    Trevor.

Re: converting real 737 controls and rudder pedals

I guess it depends on what style of construction you prefer and available tooling. If you can do it, I recommend you grab some small steel shaft and a bearings, stay away from bolts as pinions and wooden linkages. i found on my first sim, they wear out and get sloppy fairly quickly.

I am in the process of framing out a new Boeing "style" cockpit floor at the moment ,mainly in 1 inch steel box. I have emulated the torque tube with steel box, retaining the idea of wire rope to interconnect the yokes

On the cross tube i will mount the yoke centering vee, autopilot motor etc, acting on the steel cables and the position sensors, for the rest they will be floor on the frame.

For the rudders i have linked the pedals with box, left forward and right aft so the don't foul each other. the box linkage will carry the shafts to interconnect the brakes between both sets of pedals.

Bearings are pretty cheap, I brought a swag of 8mm and 12 mm bearings and a 6mtr length of 8 and 12 mm bright shaft, and an assortment of large washers up to 60mm OD, with this you can fabricate rollers, pulleys linkages etc all with bearings in the hub. pick your sizes and weld them together on the shaft. Also these big washers can be made into bearing carriers.

Another think Ii found was small generic right hand steering tie rod ends 4mm and 10mm from Jap cars were available here in Bali for about a dollar a piece. These are really small,l I don't know what vehicle they are out of, but excellent for making linkages. Even better if you can get the left hand bolts and utilize the left hand version as well.

As I said its all steel so a welder, cut off saw, a bench drill are pretty much required for this approach,

Also its heavy, but this cockpit is going in a gimbal motion platform with no restrictions so its got to be strong at any attitude. I have been sidetracked building a fully adjustable seat frame, so work on the flight controls is paused momentarily. Its turned out the seat makes the flight controls seem simple.

So I have just grabbed a few shots and will upload them to my gallery after this post. when I get back to the finish the linkages I will upload a few additional pix.

I think if you are logged in you can access my gallery via http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/album.php?albumid=119

If not let me know.

Its got a way to go, but you will see the concept i am following.

Cheers.H.
    Last edited by hca; 02-06-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling

3. Thanks flyboy01 thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Re: converting real 737 controls and rudder pedals

Thanks H,
    Your project is looking very good. i am impressed. You have a lot of very good ideas. I will try and impliment them in to my project.