Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: New products coming soon

Thanks a MIL (excuse the pun) Gwyn. I will try a test cut on the weekend at that speed

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I use two flute 3.25mm (1/8") cutters for 3mm acrylic. One pass at 200mm/min 8000rpm. This works ok and doesn't blunt the cutters two quickly.

These are the ones I buy - 10Pcs Carbide End Mill Endmill Engraving Bits 3.3mm for CNC/PCB Milling Machine | eBay

Cheers Gwyn

150+ Forum Groupie

Another thing to be aware of is cutters come in spiral upcut and spiral downcut, if you are cutting thin material an upcut will try to lift the material and cause chatter and doesn't give such a clean top edge as a downcut, however a downcut pushes the swarf into the cut and the heat of the tool can melt this and screw up the cut. you pay your money and you take your choice!

Regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Geoff

Yeah this i know - pros and cons. With thin stuff i.e. MDF that is very flimsy or soft I try and screw it down to a spoil board. I'll give the perspex a shot - i have up cut mills. if it works well then that will be fine to complete my panels over time

Thanks again for your input to Geoff. Much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesthesoftware View Post
    Another thing to be aware of is cutters come in spiral upcut and spiral downcut, if you are cutting thin material an upcut will try to lift the material and cause chatter and doesn't give such a clean top edge as a downcut, however a downcut pushes the swarf into the cut and the heat of the tool can melt this and screw up the cut. you pay your money and you take your choice!

Regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Gwyn

I had some black perspex at home that i wanted to use to make some calibration tools for the 3D printer. I loaded up a 3mm end mill 2 flute and set the feed to 200mm/min and spindle rate to 8000rpm - WOW it cut beautifully! I was very impressed.

Really appreciate the assistance. I first did a 2 pass cut with a 25mm ramp in @ 60mm/min and then the second piece a 1 pass cut. One part was great and the 2 part.

So really either way but feedrate and speed was perfect.

Thanks again. Now to get some white acrylic

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I use two flute 3.25mm (1/8") cutters for 3mm acrylic. One pass at 200mm/min 8000rpm. This works ok and doesn't blunt the cutters two quickly.

These are the ones I buy - 10Pcs Carbide End Mill Endmill Engraving Bits 3.3mm for CNC/PCB Milling Machine | eBay

Cheers Gwyn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123