Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Planning to start simple - not as simple as I thought!

Ok so I am building a new computer, and selling my old one to cover the costs. Here's what I'll have:

Intel i7 Quadcore 920 (Overclocked to 4Ghz)
    6DB DDR3 CORSAIR RAM
    Nvidia GTX285 2GB version
    1TB HDD
    Windows 7 64 bit
    All of the rest (Mobo, fans, heatsink, soforth)

Now I currently have two 22 inch widescreen monitors, with about $200 left over from selling my old computer and building my new one. I currently have Saitek Rudder pedals, two Saitek throttle quadrants, and a Saitek yoke.

Now I also have FSX and the PMDG MD-11. My goal is to make a basic simpit with the MD-11 in mind.

I wanted to start fairly basic with my two monitors, possibly getting a 3rd. One would be used for the main panel (The LDC screens on the cockpit). I was figuring for now (as money IS an issue) that I would simply take some plywood and cut out the frame for this. Now this isn't 100% realistic, but it's a start!

Now I want to use my second monitor for the outside view (and possibly pick up a 2nd monitor for the same thing).

I currently utilize a normal sized desk that my two monitors sit on side by side, but I really want it to have more of a real cockpit-ish feel to it. Should I try to make a frame that my main monitor (panel display) will sit in, and then expand with levers (later down the road) and the glareshield? If so, where do I start for making this "frame" for everything to sit in?

The desk isn't ideal for getting that "real cockpit" feel to it -- where should I go for a cheap method of making something that looks realistic?

I am not wanting anything major here yet folks. I just want to start with the basics, and go from there. Eventually I want a full cockpit of the MD-11, or possibly a different aircraft (744, 767, what have you). Just looking for the basics for now, but be able to use it to expand off of later down the road.

All help is GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Planning to start simple - not as simple as I thought!

Have been searching and have yet been unable to find any dimensions to the MD-11 cockpit. Does anyone know what this would be, or have a recomendation for a similar setup? I figured if I cannot find dimensions for the MD-11, then I'd go for a more "generic" 747 glass cockpit setup.

Any suggestions/help welcome.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Glad to have on board. Lot's of information here and lot's of friendly builders with plenty of experience to help.

Please keep us up to date with your project and we love pictures

So building a simpit based on the MD-11 appears to become more unrealistic as I go. Currently you can only undock two screens, instead of the 6 you would have. Unless I am able to find that, I'll most likely go with the 747 as my cockpit.

Now can anyone provide me with some basic dimensions? Specifically the main panel area. Height from the floor, to where the top of the panels tarts (leg room), then from the bottom of said panel to the top -- then as well the width from the Captains side to the F/O side.

Just need them for the basics so far, if anyone has any data on this it would be much appreciated!