Thread: Where to begin?

Beginning to Build !!! Captain_Eirik's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Where to begin?

I have chosen my aircraft, obtained pictures, measurements, etc.

My goal is to be able to continue to "fly" during construction.

Now that I've seen the sheer size of the task that I am undertaking, I find that I am going in circles as far as the actual building goes. I see several places to begin, and it seems like it will neglect or hinge on another area. So to me there is no clear, obvious beginning.

One part of me says to just start somewhere, as all of the areas will have to be addressed.

However it seems like it is prudent to check with those who have gone before.

What area seemed to be a good place to start for you? Is there a place that you wish you had started instead of where you did?

Visuals, shell, instruments, panel?

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Where to begin?

In this hobby, there are no standards set, no set of rules, no do or don'ts, so your not going to get a definative answer on that score.

Only you will know what areas are more important to you. Are you buying panels or constructing your own?

A common place to start is the main instrument panel. If you are constructing your own, it's not too difficult to cut some holes in a sheet of MDF or Plywood. Stick a monitor behind for the instruments, and a monitor further ahead of that for your outside view and you're off to a good start at little expense.

If it's the expense that's causing the headaches over where to start, because you just can't decide what to buy first, then your just going to have to come to terms with that! If you haven't got deep pockets (and who has), and have a limited amount to spend each month, then you've just got to bite the bullet and start somewhere, otherwise you'll never get started. Even for the relatively simple start I mention above, you're going to need an extra monitor, maybe a new graphics card to plug it into, a jigsaw, etc. etc., things you may not already have but need to buy.

So I would say start with the MIP and add the instruments, visuals, shell to that. Try and add something that benefits your flying experience everytime you add to your pit.

And remember you are in this for the long term. It ain't gonna happen overnight (unless you have got deep pockets, then it doesn't matter where you start, because you'll be finished in a few weeks)!

Regards

Sean

3. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post