Executive Vice President, Administration, MyCockpit, Inc.
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New Posting Rule

MyCockpit ® ANNOUNCEMENT: POSTING RULE
    Recently we have been victim to series of SPAM posts. Little needs to be said about these brainless acts and the extent of disturbance they cause to each one of us. In order to restrict such SPAM Posts in future, we have enforced a “one minute” time interval between posts. Which means if you have recently posted something on the forum, you can publish your next forum post after a time interval of one minute. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but we are hopeful this will go a long way in reducing such SPAM’s in future.

Thank you once again for the continued support.
    Last edited by vybhav; 11-14-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: typos
    Regards
    Vybhav

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Re: New Posting Rule

I'd even go so far as to having the post timer be 5 minutes. I was witness to the guy the other night and he posting something like 75 messages and he even spaced them out over time every 3 or 4 minutes or more, so this might not be the solution to the problem if he's not sitelocked.

150+ Forum Groupie

On the Aerowinx forum they have also a very simple solution.

Before submitting of a message, a simple (for some ... ) question is asked e.g.:

"What the sum of 3 and 5 ?"

Spam machines do not understand this.

Hessel
    767 Level-D

500+ This must be a daytime job

I realize why that makes sense but I think it would restrict the remaining 99% of the forum who aren't spammers.

75+ Posting Member

The "non sitelocked" problem is something that affects every business globally and much effort is being put into resolving it.

I would support Brian in his suggestion of 5 minutes as a minimum as some commercial and other types of trackers can do much to locate the offender.
    If this site is being attacked the probability is some others are at the same time and hopfully they will have the neccessary software running.

Bill.

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

All spam posts are almost all caught within 30 mins of posting due to the quick response from our senior team. As a community mycockpit can help also by reporting any spam posts whereby an alert goes out to all moderators via email and someone will attand to it immediately.

With ours and your help we will be able to stop the very few spam posts we have at MyCockpit.org.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Bill View Post
    The "non sitelocked" problem is something that affects every business globally and much effort is being put into resolving it.

I would support Brian in his suggestion of 5 minutes as a minimum as some commercial and other types of trackers can do much to locate the offender.
    If this site is being attacked the probability is some others are at the same time and hopfully they will have the neccessary software running.

Bill.
    I'm not really fond of 5 mins (for what it's worth). On some forums, especially ones that I actually know what I'm talking about (hence why I have so few posts here!! hehe), I have a limited time, so I will open multiple windows of threads of interest, read through, and reply. 1 minute is very reasonable, but for users like myself, 5 minutes is very restrictive.

I don't spam, and I really try not to post useless crap as well, but unfortunately, spam is a difficult aspect to control. Additionally, some of the counter-spam things make it difficult for ME to post. There are some spam filters that ask you to post the letters that you see, and some of the letters are so funky shaped that it's impossible to read, others have O and 0 (zero) that look alike, as well as l and I, other things that make it absolutely aggravating to deal with.

Yes, spam is annoying, yes, I'm all for trying to control, but there are certain points where the spam may be filtered but users begin to suffer.

My 2 cents...which given the inflation rate should equate to the specific value of copper. heh.
    Jon

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geremy Britton View Post
    All spam posts are almost all caught within 30 mins of posting due to the quick response from our senior team. As a community mycockpit can help also by reporting any spam posts whereby an alert goes out to all moderators via email and someone will attand to it immediately.

With ours and your help we will be able to stop the very few spam posts we have at MyCockpit.org.
    Actually, it took a bit longer than 30 minutes to react to the problem. By the time I reported it they were already 75 posts into the spamfest. If it can happen once, it can happen again. Keep in mind it occured at an odd time of day when there was low traffic and very little on.

Personally, I've also been having to deal with a lot of spam traffic on my simpit blog. Of the posts on my personal site 90% of it is russian spam, so I'm no fan of spam posts...

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

It amazes me to what extent a spammer goes through to post spam. Now they have to sign in as a member then post each one, although it may be automated, but still, to get there the first time takes time.

I hope the one minute rule will deter the multiple postings. For the regular/member posters, we most likely won't notice the delay.

Heli Builder

Lightbulb Re: New Posting Rule

You could consider enabling the Captcha option on every post. It is a little irritating but could be a solution.

I don't think the spammer posted the messages manually. I think he/she/it used some for of automation tool to post all that spam messages.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)