Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Backlighting Option

Follow generally the suggestions in these posts for laser printing "white" letters with a black background onto clear labels (ex. Avery, many sizes including full sheets). But instead, use a reverse (i.e. mirror) font and type the words backword. Now, using LaserColor(tm) foil from PaperDirect (I suggest silver) run the paper through again to bind the foil. The laser foil will adhere only to the toner already printed on the clear label. Peel the label off and adhere it to plexiglass. Now you can read the words through the plexiglass. The foil backing will prevent light from passing through where letters are not present, so be careful not to scratch or crack it. Sandwich a plexiglass sheet to the back (foil side) to protect the foil backing. Backlight it.

Previous posts suggested layering the labels, which are difficult to align, in order to avoid the backlight from "bleeding through" the thin toner creating an ugly gray light. This should be much easier in avoiding light "bleed through".

I have not tried this, but I am confident it will work.

I'll test it when I can, but it will work. I've used the foil for other purposes in the past.

2. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post

Re: Backlighting Option

Just another thought. Following the above, before putting the back plexiglass sheet to protect the foil, put a light piece of tracing paper first, then the back piece of plexiglass so that the letters will look white instead of "empty". The light should have no trouble shining through the tracing paper.

Just looked into how the foil paper works and this sounds like good idea, did you ever get to try it?

No. I have not tried it. That part is a long way off for me. But because of the density with which the foil adheres, and because it will reflect the light back, I am very confident it will work. I held the foil sheet up to a very bright light, and I didn't see any light penetration. Just make sure that the foil doesn't crack, which can happen when the area covered by the foil is large. Actually, if I can find a cheap or free download of a reverse font, I might just give it a try to be sure.

Best of luck.