Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New Triplehead Sol7 Rear Projection Cockpit

Hello from Tennessee!
    I'm near completion of my cockpit and I wanted to thank everyone who has ever posted to this forum! I have used this and other forums extensively to get where I am now.

I started building my pit early in the year with a main intent of using it for practice and training for real world flying. I've been a private pilot since 1988 and have been flying pc simulators since "Winging It" came out for the TI-99.

I've always had aspirations of becoming a commercial pilot at any capacity, but as things sometimes work out, our lives go in different directions (still good, just different!). Since I'm unable to leave my thoughts of flight behind, I decided to build this in my attic:

This is a single seat generic simulator that I use mostly with the P-51 in MSFS X with acceleration pack. It uses 2 computers. One computer is for the visual display and the other handles the Project Magenta instrument panels. The visual display is 3 projectors attached to the computer via a Matrox Triplehead2go and are rear projected onto a curved screen using a backlit material for sign making. The curved screen requires the use of Immersaview's Sol7 sofware and I'm using 3 separate view windows at .60 zoom to give me around 180 degrees true FOV.

There are 3 custom touch screen instrument panels used for Project Majenta's GAIFR and GAGC software in the front. The 3rd 8" touch screen is built into the Goflight panel mount module on the right hand console (along with other Goflight modules) and is used for the RealityXP GNS430 GPS software. This is attached to the main computer through the second vga output giving a total of 2 video ouputs on computer 1 as well as 2 on computer 2.

The second computer also runs the Radar Contact software allowing a separate feed for ATC through the headset, while the 5.1 surround speakers offer engine/cockpit sounds from the main computer. I also have two bass shaker transducers attached to the back and bottom of the chair itself to provide a bit more realism with user adjustable levels of vibration...sometimes a bit un-nerving when doing IMC carrier landings in the F-18!

The canopy is made of acrylic and is raised and lowered via 2 electric boat hatch lifts. You may notice the white backlit material also attached to the canopy. This is to "block out" the unviewable areas of the display. The weird NASA looking material attached to the rear of the canopy is duct insulation and is used to catch some airflow from the portable a/c unit for climate control.

I'm very pleased to say that it has taken several flights for my nausea to cease and I really enjoy watching my friends and family turn purple as they give it a go!

I hope to have my website up soon to give more detail on everything, but in the meantime feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks again!
    -Airhogg

soon to be at www.airhoggaviation.com

Super Moderator

Re: New Triplehead Sol7 Rear Projection Cockpit

Excellent concept! I really enjoy seeing projects like this one. Great work.

3. Thanks Airhogg thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Well done. Now that's immersion!
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

5. Thanks Airhogg thanked for this post

Great setup! I'm also digging the attic idea! hahahah The house I am in the process of buying has an attic with one of them walk up ladders in the hallway. I already am thinking that I can use that ladder to simulate the rear door as used on many aircrafts! hahahaha
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

7. Thanks Airhogg thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by HondaCop View Post
    Great setup! I'm also digging the attic idea! hahahah The house I am in the process of buying has an attic with one of them walk up ladders in the hallway. I already am thinking that I can use that ladder to simulate the rear door as used on many aircrafts! hahahaha
    Such a cool idea, I think i visited a vulcan when i was young and access to that cockpit was through a hatch like an attic door lol

75+ Posting Member

Wow, three projectors and two computers in an attic. I hope you live way up north. In the summer, my sim room gets real warm with just one computer running.

Nice work though!

10. Thanks Airhogg thanked for this post
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

WOW!!! quite impressive setup. Thanks for sharing your project and pics.

Matt Olieman

12. Thanks Airhogg thanked for this post