image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

SimAvionics going up in price :-(

As stated on SimAvionics homepage:

Introductory Pricing
    Ends
    15th August 2009
    New pricing structure will be announced shortly

Project Magenta is out of most people's price range and now SimAvionics is more likely than not going to be as well. I have been saving up nickels and dimes in order to purchase the SimAvionics package but I sure am not going to have the $420+ USD needed to buy the package before August 15th.

This means that I will have to look into Flight Deck Software instead, since they are priced as SimAvionics currently is.

Before we know it, avionics packages are going to be way beyonds most people's means, thus making it almost impossible to build a nice quality home cockpit.
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below

Re: SimAvionics going up in price :-(

Dam
    I was also thinking to get sim-avionics, but i dont even have nice computer yet.I think many other also start to look some other option.
    Bad for them i think.

Marco

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Just a comment, nothing to do with you E, just that your post makes me think about the problem..
    Cost of things is relative . Very often the perception of dearness is linked to the real need we have of a product (or service).
    A new set of tires at $500 is OK , A glass cockpit is not! We need the tires, we can live without the GC. That one is easy.
    It is getting more complicated when the choice revolves around a new ultra thin cell phone, the latest game cube for the kids, a bigger TV, a better sofa, etc.
    A lot of money is spent today on techno gadgets which are carefully marketed as "musts" but without which we can easily survive
    Besides that we must remember that people usually put a product on the market to make money, rarely to loose some, the examples of generous people who "donated" their time and knowledge are many in our hobby . Enrico started PM as a sideline, probably just breaking even for the time he spent on it, at that stage, especially as the product was successful, he had to invest, get help and make it a full time job or quit the whole thing.
    We have to remember that we are fortunate enough, thanks to these enthusiastic people to have access for a few hundred $ to softwares that Boeing, Airbus or the like paid tens if not hundreds of thousands odd dollars. That we can nearly replicate multi million dollars machines at a micro fraction of the cost. Thanks to people like PM, sim Avionics, Flightdeck Soft etc....for the price of a set of tires!!!
    Again, just my 2¢
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

And yet you can buy the LevelD B767 with almost all systems modeled for around $50. How come those people at leveld can make a living selling their stuff 10 times cheaper than those at PM & Co who need to increase their prices every few months??

I understand that cockpit building is a niche, but this argument shouldn't allow people to take advantage of an almost non competitive market. The position of PM in my view is what I think American law call a trust.

Anyway, we all have the choice to buy or not in the end, I chose not to buy

I donk know how to write code so who am i to say that a ceartain product should be increased or even decreased in price. I own a small buisness and I do know that there are many small and sometimes big costs that affect how I might charge someone for a particular job. The one thing I dont get when it comes to raising the price, is raising the price on an unfinished product.

Mike G
    Mike G.

6. Thanks Tomlin thanked for this post

I agree with Mike regarding upping the cost of an unfinished product.

I bought Sim Avionics 6months ago, whilst I understood that full functionallity was not quite there - however it did not really state how unfinished it actually was. Basic flying functions were simply not there.

The guys there are very good and are working very hard, however when I purchased the 737 package, it really should not have been on sale.

Admittedly the recent beta versions are a MASSIVE step forward, however with any of these, I am yet to complete a flight without issue.

With the cost of a licence renewal increasing too, should the product remain incomplete, I may consider the move to FDS

That is something that, in frustration, I have regretted not doing everytime I get a 'floating point error' or my autopilot will not disconnect 1 mile from touchdown, or my FMC pages are all muddled...etc etc.

As mentioned below this is a business, which needs to meet its costs - and I do believe that the rise is a result of the extra hours Mark and the team are undoubtedly putting in, and will in time show in the final result.

My problem is that, on a very small budget, this was one of my biggest purchases, and I think I purchased at the wrong time in the products life as the product has not, and is not where I needed it....yet

Administrator

When I saw the post yesterday it reminded me of 2 years or so ago with Project Magenta. An announcement was made for a big price increase and I needed to make a decision to buy it before the increase or wait. I decided to take a plunge and buy it before the price increased. I also new it was a 737 package with tweaks for the 777. I knew it would be some time before 777 panels would be on the market. I thought they would have been out sooner but still waiting.

Now along comes Sim-Avionics. Looks like they have a better software package with the 777 over PM. After some research of Sim-Avionics users I find it’s a highly recommended package over PM. So the plan was to write off the $1500.00USD for PM and when I finally am able to get panels buy Sim-Avionics package. Now I am at the software crossroads again. Do I save some money and purchase it early while still waiting on panels or wait.

Another issue paying for something not finished. Now the above posting on this I am not sure is more geared to the 737 package rather than the 777.

I would like to see post from the 777 registered owners of the software to weigh in on this. Do you recommend waiting or buy before the price increase? I think I will wait to here your recommendations to make my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by W9XE/Project777 View Post
    When I saw the post yesterday it reminded me of 2 years or so ago with Project Magenta. An announcement was made for a big price increase and I needed to make a decision to buy it before the increase or wait. I decided to take a plunge and buy it before the price increased. I also new it was a 737 package with tweaks for the 777. I knew it would be some time before 777 panels would be on the market. I thought they would have been out sooner but still waiting.

Now along comes Sim-Avionics. Looks like they have a better software package with the 777 over PM. After some research of Sim-Avionics users I find it’s a highly recommended package over PM. So the plan was to write off the $1500.00USD for PM and when I finally am able to get panels buy Sim-Avionics package. Now I am at the software crossroads again. Do I save some money and purchase it early while still waiting on panels or wait.

Another issue paying for something not finished. Now the above posting on this I am not sure is more geared to the 737 package rather than the 777.

I would like to see post from the 777 registered owners of the software to weigh in on this. Do you recommend waiting or buy before the price increase? I think I will wait to here your recommendations to make my decision.
    Although a 737 user, I have spoken to a few 777 S-A users both via Mycockpit and others.

The response seems to be very good - Sim Avionics was designed for the 777 and the '37 package is an adatption of the work already completed for the '77.

Try the demo, its for the 777 and gives full function but in a restricted area.

I am sure some of the '77 users will be here to share their experiences directly with you soon.

300+ Forum Addict

Hi,
    i´m a B777 and B737 Captain User.
    Yes, it isn´t finished, but my cockpit also not finished.
    With the actual 1.063 Version i have only 2 big problems and some little.
    The big you can see on the offical ToDo list (Hold and VNav des.).
    My little problems are some strange reaction and strange FSUIPC handling.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by HondaCop View Post
    As stated on SimAvionics homepage:

Introductory Pricing
    Ends
    15th August 2009
    New pricing structure will be announced shortly

Project Magenta is out of most people's price range and now SimAvionics is more likely than not going to be as well. I have been saving up nickels and dimes in order to purchase the SimAvionics package but I sure am not going to have the $420+ USD needed to buy the package before August 15th.

This means that I will have to look into Flight Deck Software instead, since they are priced as SimAvionics currently is.

Before we know it, avionics packages are going to be way beyonds most people's means, thus making it almost impossible to build a nice quality home cockpit.
    Have you looked into FSPanels http://cockpitsolutions.com/ ?

While not PM is provides the basics and is cheap, around $50 USD. You can even try it for 15 mins or so at a time unregistered.

I used it in my T-38 cockpit. It worked well.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast