25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

D-box motion platform

Found this in a magazine. Any one tried it ?
    Its available as a platform only.
    Sorry I can't remember the magazine name.
    It had a lot of home theater reviews.
    http://www.d-box.com/gaming/en/gaming/

Regards Ken K

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: D-box motion platform

I tried their system @ CES this year. The heave motion is good as is the systems ability to manipulate motion frequencies. Some of the drawbacks are, (as you might already know): Limited range of motion, inherent latency due to "platform" type design, no yaw. Not sure about payload limitations or software support, among many other considerations....hope that helps.

3. Thanks KenK thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Thanks for the update. I didnt have time to read it all. It appears they have a larger platform too. Maybe I will look into this system. Pitch is exactly what I was interested in.

Im not sure roll is really that important. I played with moving my sim 20deg up at TO roll
    and the effect was very convincing. Also a few deg down at Rev Thr would slide you out of the seat a little. This was also a nice effect.

Did this with a couple of temporary pneumatic cyl.

Regards Ken K

They were at EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh last year. It was kind of neat how it moved around a little. I didn't get to try it, unfortunately they were having trouble keeping their computer cool. It had nothing to do with the movment system, it was simply a little warm inside the hangar (no air-conditioning) and parts of the computer were getting toasty.
    Matt Thomas, CFII
    Kansas City

6. Thanks KenK thanked for this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I am just completing a rear projection motion simulator using the D-Box GPK 130 platform. Just needs some mdf, frabric and paint and the wiring given a bit of a tidy.

I have attached a link to a flickr set of photos of my setup and the gear used is as follows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8602201...52525903/show/

D-Box GPK130 Platform (through very helpful Simware in Belgium)
    Frex Canopy Screen and Optoma HD20 full HD DLP (just relaesed, great quality and only US$999)
    TrackIR 5
    Screinerschmid KG13n stick
    Simped F16/c pedals
    Elite King Air Throttle
    Hotas Cougar throttle modded with long aluminium handle to make a collective
    VR Insight Pro Pit instrument panel
    Assorted Goflight and Desktop Aviator modules, switches and trim devices
    T-slot aluminium frame, plus mdf panel and fabric
    A new tractor seat which has its own suspension!
    5.1 sound system
    O/C Quad Core PC with 2x8800gts, Vista 32, FSX (D-Box also drives X-plane which I do not presently use and a heap of motor racing titles)

Many of these items I already had from an older FS9 based fixed base 2 seat simulator using the T-slot aluminium and I canabalised this set up to build this new, single seat design. The D-box, Frex and Optoma, KG13n and ProPit were new purchaces.

Overall, I am very happy with the D-Box platform. You have to fiddle with the set up parameters (lots of choice) to get the result you like but it is easy and has a great interface. With the roof over the top the immersion is great, especially in turbulence. Of course this can never compare with a larger and mre expensive, heavier and more complicated motion platform but all the same the results have transformed my simulator experience.

The GPK-130 has a weight limit over 300kg, I weigh 80kg and guess that my simulator must be around 100-120kg. I have tried to place the heavier gear over the two from actuators and the seat close to the centre of the base. The setup does not seem to be complaining and responses are very fast.

I opted for an unusual display solution but one I am delighted with....I bought from Frex in Japan (great racing sim gear) their canopy screen, a quarter dome of acrylice, matte on the outside for rear projection and glossy inside. This measures 1m wide, 50cm deep and 27cm high and when mounted at a slight angle with a curved roof behind and combined with a full HD projector (the new Optoma is just fantastic for the price) and TIR5 the image quality and immersion is fantastic. Yes there is image distortion at the edges but this is in you peripheral view and does not really impact on game play. Focus is fine (depth of field of projector is OK for this) and I am experimenting with the Immersaview SOL7 image bending software trial version....this great peice of software does improve distortion at the edges but I am hesitating at paying up for it (A$450) as the gaming experience is not dramatically changed...still might though.

All in all I am really pleased with both the D-Box and Frex choices and would be happy to provide any other sim builders with further feedback.

cheers

Mark

8. Thanks Airhogg thanked for this post

Pneumatic cyl??? How did you arrange these Ken? How did Flightsim interface with the driving force? What was the driving force?

Looks very interesting.

TONY.

25+ Posting Member

The Pneumatic system I used basically raised and lowered the front of the Sim. It consisted of two balloon type actuators I found in a junk yard.
    with a 12" diameter they could lift quite a load (cyl area x psi).

After about a week one actuator developed a leak while simulating turbulence (pulse the valves quickly) I think the rubber had decayed from being outside. This scheme was working well but needed more up travel
    to simulate acceleration better.

The logic was done with a small PLC (Klockner Moeller "easy relay").They can be found on E-bay. I erased the actuator program and use it now to simulate rough engines when ice is encountered. The actuator logic on the attached sketch is from memory so it probably can be made better.

This link shows the type of actuator I used.
    http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Ru...bberGasBag.gif

Regards to all
    Ken K
    See diagram attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi - me again!

What a great idea! I'm not too technical, but would like to know how the actuators are directed to function according to the aircraft movements? I can see that certain switches (solenoids?) are activated and presume that there is control circuitry involved (motion controller?). Is the controller programmed to operate the solenoids in sync with aircraft movements?

Sorry for all the questions - I am keen to get started!

Thanks.

TONY.

25+ Posting Member

Hi Tony:

The first thing I need to clarify is that this was NOT intended to simulate the pitch motion of the aircraft. My intent was only to simulate acceleration and deceleration by using gravity. When the aircraft is going faster during the T.O. roll you are pushed into the seat. This is simulated by raising the nose. During reverse thrust the nose is lowered and you slide out of the seat a little. When you fly an actual sim these forces seemed to predominate. But thats just my opinion others may sense it differently.

There was no attempt to link the valves to the Fsim pitch function. This could probably be done by sensing the cylinder pressure and pitch function
    and integrating it into some kind of proportional system. There are a couple good threads on this already if you need more information. Also I have seen some ready to go systems advertised. The attached diagram pretty much sums up what I did. The logic can be implemented with relays and timers (E-bay).You can also use 555 timers and gates if your an electronic guy. The valves were 24v 3 way valves with mufflers on the exhaust ports and flow restrictors on the output ports.You also need to know how much weight you are lifting and the required stroke length. The compressor must have enough capacity to quickly fill the cylinder again after a "nose down" command.Also you need a filt/reg/lub to keep the air dry and cylinders lubricated. (No oiler needed for balloon cyls)

I do intend to refine my simple gravity system with a couple real pneumatic cylinders. Time frame is probably 6 mos.

Regards Ken K