The production issues in the news concerning the A380 program have led to the usual questions for me and many others here at Boeing. As can be expected, in the media there's some intense interest in the question of "what does this mean for Boeing?"
Well, I've said this before, in response to reporters' questions, and in many forums around the world: It doesn't mean a whole lot. As I see it right now, there is no direct benefit for us coming from the Airbus announcements on the A380, particularly in the near-term. We have a very sound backlog and full production lines - and we're quite pleased already with the response from the market to our 747-8.
The very large airplane segment, by the way, is a very small piece of the bigger whole. Which is why we didn't pursue a direct competitor to the A380 in the first place.
At the most fundamental level, what truly benefits Boeing is strong competition in a healthy commercial airplanes industry. Let's remember, Boeing and Airbus share many of the same customers and suppliers in a relatively small industrial "ecosystem." Our industry, the traveling public, and the global economy all do better when that ecosystem contains healthy, competitive companies creating value day in and day out.
Yes, it's a tough time right now for EADS/Airbus. But they'll get through it. And we expect them to be strong competitors for a very long time.
As for BCA, we are staying focused on the needs of our customers, on the execution of our business plan, and on delivering on our promises.

More...