Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Lightbulb Plasma Verses LCD Monitors for Outside Views

Lately I've had discussions with several people regarding outside viewing, whether to use projection, Plasma or LCD Monitors.

My experience in general has been Projection. I started with a single CRT (green) projector..... about 15 years ago, then NEC 1200D (I think) 3 CRT projector, to now a DLP projector.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to experience a 1080i 42" Plasma screen monitor. Contrast 10,000:1 I've got to tell you it was absolutely AMAZING picture quality.

In discussion regarding this fabulous monitor, it was suggested the Plasma screen is not well suited for Computer use. It seems, the plasma screen easily "burns in" images in a short period of time. A bright spot left in the same place for 20 minutes becomes a permanent imprint.

Otherwise the LCD does not have the burn in problem, although the Contrast Ration is not as impressive.

Lot's of pro's and cons.... and I'm sure there is much more I'm not aware of and I'm always eager to learn more about.

737Nut (Rob) mentioned about the washout using multiple projectors... That was quite a shock to me, never thought about it... but now I do understand there is a dilemma, perhaps there is a solution.

Anyway.... I hope this will bring on somewhat a discussion regarding some of the items mentioned here. I would like to read about other experiences and recommendation. As you know... presenting outside views has been a hot topic from the beginning of our flight-sim building Revelation.

I look forward toward your comments.

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Matt,
    There is a good solution but it comes with one major drawback. You need at least a 6-7' radius around your cockpit that you could preferrably enclose.

Rear projection using mirrors will give you a LARGE front and side views w/o washout from all the light, great contrast, and fairly easy to set-up. Just need allot of space.

My cockpit goes wall to wall.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi guys. I have a lot to say about this issue. Too tired to post it this morning.. Been a long day and it is 12:16am here right now. But I will address this after we open our presents! Lots to say!
    Bob Reed

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Just a quick correction regarding "burn-in" on the plasma monitors. I said 20 minutes to "permanently" burn in, it's actually about two hours.

Administrator

Smile

This is a good time to discuss display options. Matt was here Friday and Saturday helping me figure out my best solution.

I have a few problems with space and the projection system seems to be out. It was the way I wanted to go but due to space limitations they are out.

Next solution would be Plasma or LCD. Plasma now is cheaper per inch than LCD but soon that will not be the case. I have also heard of issues with plasma displays with heat and burn-in problems over time. Recently I heard that new plasma monitors have corrected the burn-in problem but have not researched it. The high contrast ratio will be nice to maintain brilliance and color saturation to have a super quality detailed image. One thing I have noticed with plasma is they use reflective glass where LCD uses matt finish. Not sure if all is that way or just most I have seen.

I think I will be going with LCD displays. My plan will be to us 2 each 32” – 37” LCD’s for the main forward view. Four 19”- 21” LCD’s for the side and corner views. I plan on turning these vertical instead of horizontal. These would closely match the vertical size of the main monitors.

Below it a modified photo that I have worked on for what the project would look like. However I need to rework it to ad 2 more monitors.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Exclamation

Ok here we go.. There is one technolidgy you forgot to mention Matt, DLP projection monitors (1080I HD). The ones we used on the sim in DC where 62" Samsungs and they had a computer hook up for video in. They replaced the Plasma screens we where using. A number of things. They run a LOT cooler, no burn in as they reflect the picture off the chip not through it and a single bulb to replace that is a lot cheper then projector bulbs. They are self contained and as far as weight goes, they are a lot lighter then Plasmas. The ones we used had a 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio!! Again I can not say what that does for the picture! The contrast has to do with the way the monitor does balck. The higher the number the better the black and if the black is better all the colors looks better! I would have to assume that most of the new LCD screens would be compareable but I have very little hands on with these. Plasmas.... I have 2 and we had 5 in the sim in DC. Never had a burn in issue with them, so I am not sure where this came from . I was told by a knowlidgeable person that they burn in no easyer then a regular monitor. I flew with mine the other night for over 4 hrs and no problems. I let it run a lot while I am programing too and so far no burn in. The sim in DC has run for over 14hrs with no trouble. If i had a choice I would look at LCD or DLP.. The heat, weight and black issue just does not warrent the cost of the Plasmas. Projection works well if you have a lot of room in front of the sim. Bulb cost is realy not an issue as most sims would need to run non stop for a number of years to reach the useful end of life on one of these. With projection you do not have the monitor frame to deal with like on the monitors listed above. And with the new Tripplehead to go I have seen some real nice visuals with 3 projectors! It is a give and take thing and it all boils down to what you the builder are willing to except. I am very happy with my Plasma screens. If I had to buy them I would go another rout but that is what I have and I can get a very nice front view from them. They take up little room and where easy to fit in my space. Now for space... Stay tuned for a little write up on that! I hope this sheds a little light on things..... Told you I had a little to say!
    Bob Reed

25+ Posting Member

This is good link concerning burn in on plasma displays. There are also links from that page describing the pros and cons of each. I can pretty much confirm these.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...tv-burnin.html

I have a 37" Phillips Plasma display in my lounge and a 32" Samsung in my pit. The Plasma definably does a better black but size for size would be heavier, hotter and noisier. On full or near full white the plasma buzzes slightly. The Plasmas got a slightly better viewing angle as well.

I think it pretty much depends on what you are building and where.

If I had the room I think would have went with out the window style projection or rear projection. I don't have the room so that wasn't an option.

That left plasma or lcd . In my pit heat will be a problem as I hope to use a few lcd's to give me periffrial vision. I'll need to duct that heat away. plasmas would have made it worse. In a bigger cockpit this heat should be easier to remove.
    Because I'm making a single seater, viewing angle should not be a problem.I sit centred behind my monitor. It might not be the same with an airliner set up. We would need to hear from someone with 2 big lcd's be be sure.

Only my own views and experiences of course