Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

How does the Opencockpits FMC V3 work

Hi folks,

Please forgive my rather simplistic question, but just trying to get a handle on this FMC unit to allow me to decide heather to go the OC route or the engravity route.

I know the OC units require a PC to drive them but when buying a pair ten the figures fall in favour of the OC direction.

However, I do need to understand how the new OC works.

As far as I can see, there is a power input and a VGA connection per unit. I am assuming that I can drive both visually from one PC? There is also a USB connector which allows the interface of h FMC with my Prosim737 software. Do I need any other software or programming knowledge, or is it as straightforward as I am hoping?

Many thanks for any guidance,

Steve.

10+ Posting Member

Re: How does the Opencockpits FMC V3 work

Hi, you will have to wrap your head around their software sioc, or as someone on another forum described it as (self inflicted overwhelming complexity) they may be cheaper, but from personal experience, unless you are a programming whiz, it's very hard to get anything from open cockpits to work. After months of trying,I gave up and went the cp flight/ engravity route, others recommend fds products as well, easier to set up, you won't be sorry either one you choose, it's the old story, the cheapest isn't always the best option,
    regards, steve

3. Thanks StephenBalmer thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks Hirail, This seems to be the common consensus on the OC gear.

Steve

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Guys
    I have to disagree completely with the comments about SIOC. All hardware/software combinations from all suppliers require you to configure your own switches/leds/displays and a certain knowledge of software and how to configure it is required. SIOC is actually one of the easier to use. Unfortunately the translated manual from Open Cockpits I have to admit are very poor, but take a little time to learn SIOC and you will understand how it can give you excellent control over all aspects of the Open Cockpit hardware. I have been amused by the lengthy posts of people using the arduino and yards and yards of software code just to get an encoder and 7seg display working, with SIOC it's about 6 lines of code.If you use the OC hardware throughout you get good quality kit at fair prices and all integrated and easy to setup and use
    Check out Nico Kaan's website although it's for LevelD767 and Lekseecon you can get a lot of tips for SIOC there.
    Steve you connect the USB and the VGA connection to your FS PC.The FMC screen becomes just like any other attached VGA screen configured via windows.
    regards
    geoff

6. Likes kiek liked this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

500+ This must be a daytime job

Geoff

Well said. SIOC coding is compact, logical and very rewarding. Yes, you need to be disciplined and carefully read all the docs, but it is powerful when linked to OC hardware.

David

25+ Posting Member

Steve,
    To get back to the original question, I have bought one of the new CDU's from OC Version 3.0.
    Like you, I've not had much to do with SIOC and have had many people say "sell all your OC stuff and buy this brand and that brand".

Well, the unit itself is beautifully made and looks as good as the original Gen 1 FDS units it will replace. I'm still getting to terms with SIOC, but so far, it worked straight out of the box and the dimmer is superb.

For the money, it can't be beat as it is a professional looking unit, built for cockpit builders and so long as you have a small amount of perserverance, I think that this unit can be used with most cockpit software such as ProSim, Sim A, PM, etc.

I was so impressed that I bought the second one the other day and am just waiting for it to be shipped to me now.

Make up your own mind, but I am very satisfied with the decision I made,

Frank

10. Likes wpslider liked this post
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Hi Frank, how does the opencockpit fmc v3 compare to the new cdu fds just brought out? I haven't seen many reviews, but for half the price of the Fds cdu I am debating gettin one

25+ Posting Member

Mate, I have them both mounted in my CDU bay now and they look great. The SIOC thing was relatively easy once you get the hang of it.
    Been testing them for about a week and they are faultless.

IMG_0917.jpg

They are nicely made and I doubt that a $1000 unit could be made any better. That $1000 can now go to the radio bay, so thanx OC, good job...

Frank Cooper

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Very nice -- do they feel very plastic (I know the FDS one is made out of metal) or is this something you do not notice?

Is setting it up with FSX painless? I hope to use it with the PMDG 737, and later on down the line prosim737.

Frank, do you know Gordon? We should try and get a Brisbane meetup going some time.

Ben

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast