10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

yoke integrated controls

for now (and unles i hit some roadblock) i plan on using circuitry of logitech extreme 3d pro for my yoke (4 axes total). so while 2 axes are obviously utilized to pick up yoke position i left with 2 more. was thinking to employ one as elevator trim and put it right on the handle (not sure whether left or right yet) actuated by a thumb. which pot would you use for this task - standart almost a turn, 3 turn or perhaps full 10 turn pot?

what would you think the best task for the last axis left? aileron trim, or a rudder, or? (there will be no controls on the box itself, only the yoke)

also what do you use the Hat swithch for? i have trackIR to look around, trying to find a use for hat. what wiould you use any more additional Hat switches (from other joysticks ) for ?

thanks!

10+ Posting Member

Hi,

If you are making your yokes based some what around a real yoke. Use momentary rocker switch as Trim switch instead of POT.

I am not sure how many bits is Logitech. I assume it won't be more than 8 bits plus i doubt it has jitter/spike filter. You would be better off investing in a USB Joystick module that accepts large variety of POTs and is 12 bits resolution (4096) steps.

Regards,
    Ali - 737yoke.com

10+ Posting Member

thank you for your reply
    it is impressive device that you making .

well "Yokes" is very generously speaking i'm not planning on building lots of them. as far as how close i want to replicate the real thing, probably not very. I don't have a particular aircraft in mind that i want to recreate.

i'm not bent on having analog trim on handle or using logitech guts. the only reason i mentioned is i alredy have the electronics (old joystick with shot pots) and kinda want to utilize as much of it as possible without getting out of the box.

10+ Posting Member

Right Okay. I thought you were making two. hence "yokes"...

No idea which pots will fit inside your yoke without some information.

Regards,
    Ali - 737yoke.com

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AceTeam View Post
    No idea which pots will fit inside your yoke without some information.
    \
    oh, that is not a concern. the generic radioshack-type ones did fit inside the current handle prototype with some drilling/cutting of the handle/pipe. its bulging out a bit but when finished i think it should not look/work too bad. (i will post some pics once i make it all look somewhat presentable. )

the question was more along "if you have analog control on you yoke what would you assign it to" (i can only come up with elevator trim) with "should i bother with analog controls on a yoke at all?" question hidden in it

i do realize real planes don't have analog controls on them (or do they?) however as i said i'm not modeling it after a real one at this point. i will consider your suggestion going without analog controls on the handle at all so not to make into F1 steering wheel. but i can't help it - i like buttons and switches .