Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarification

Clarification

Hmmmmm Not taking anything away from Rodney at all cause he's got a fantastic flightdeck in the making there for sure without a doubt, especially if he follows along what you have done Michael, but my point of post is how can someone receive what I have considered such a prestigious award that builders work their butts off, huge $$$ and hours of time and detail to be able to reach a point where they have attained a cockpit worthy of being called Builder of the month "Builder of the Month" and yet and again taking absolutely nothing away from Rodney at all, but to me buying a flightdeck of an old wrecked 727 and really not even having done much of anything to it certainly can not in anyway considered builder of the month. Now before anyone throws rotten fruit at me this is not sour grapes (Get it fruit..grapes lol ) anywhow its not because Im interested for myself, becauselol my deck is largely disassembled and certainly can no longer even come close to builder of the Month at this stage, at one time definitely but now no way. But and this is a big but not as big as Oprah's but big enough, many gents here have invested 1000s of $$ or hours or both building creations that are worthy of any CAE or have creativity that is amazing. These are the unsung heroes of our craft/hobby these guys deserve Builder of the month. Rodney as I said has a great project and it'll probably be amazing when hes done but right now he should have Scrap Deck of the month, or Best real Part Owner of the month. I just think its cheating the Builder that truly deserves that prestigious honor of having their amazing project showcased and their 30 days in the spotlight. This is just my opinion, now feel free to throw fruit By the way Rod great find, lots of wor ahead I look forward to the end result.I personally think you should create a board of builders to accept submisions for their project and choose 3 builds projects and display them for a builder silent vote and then choose that way, based on a set of criteria.
    Tim

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I think it is more than just the look of the cockpit as a whole which determines the builder of the month. It is many factors.

It could be as small as managing to interface and wire up a panel to MFS that knowone has acheived before and other have learnt valuable information from for example.

Also maybe just helping other builders by being a regular viewer and poster here at mycockpit.org which in my book goes down as being an excellent builder, because it's not all about looks.

Yes, it will take longer for people who are building their own parts to acheive this but **** i think knowledge certinaly rules over $$$ here.

Why would you bother giving a BOM to someone who's spend 20K at FDS and built their sim in a week for example? There's no personal flare in that.

I think Rodney no question deserves the builder of the month, his help with my problems to do with backlighting etc have been invaluable, and his knowledge of the 727 is great.

Quite frankly it's Mike who makes the decision based on the community and what he's seen in terms of progress, dedication, and kindness from individual builders.

Well done Rodney, without your expertise in the electricals i might have never figured out the lighting on my panel, and your ideas and help have been great over the last few month. The interview was a great read and i never knew you had your own shell it looks great!

You should post more pictures Rodney - Great stuff! Keep it up

Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

3. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    Super Moderator

No offense Tim but I think your holding on too tight buddy. The builder of the month is far from any type of prestigious thing. I look at as a fun and interesting way to look into someone’s project no matter of the sophistication. Why rain on someone’s parade my friend as it only sours the moment. Let this guy have his fifteen minutes and move on.

5. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

The main thing for me to keep my motivation up, is to see other builders work. Pictures and details are the most important of all!
    Whether one has scratch-built everything or all the components are bought and put together - that's just two different approaches to the same landing!
    You can do the manual approach, the CAT III or like me: a combination of both.

For the next builder of the month, PLEASE include more images.
    Rodney, good luck with your project! You have no idea how lucky you are to have an actual cockpit! There's no way I could get one here in Norway.

Clarification

Rodney first off allow me to appologize to you if in any way you misunderstood my post regarding your Builder of the month presentation. I think you most certainly deserve to be recognized for your tremendous and valuable contribution to this hobby and I know its been very highly appreciated by many members. I in no way was trying to say you were in anyway undeserving of recognition, quite the contrary. However I merely also believed the award of builder of the month was for work comleted on a project and when I saw yours was just beginning I was somewhat confused. For the rest of you who commented about my comment, you are absolutely correct in your statements if in fact the award was for the reasons you stated, and in fact it appears so. I do appologize to the forum as a collective because truly I misunderstood the criteria in which it is judged and thank you for clarifng that for me. Secondly, i think incredibly highly of Michael as a person and a builder and I do believe he is certainly an excellent choice to determine who receives the award and my idea of a commitee to do that in no way reflects a negative on Michael or his competency, merely as in many facets of our society we utilize a collective body and a process of democracy to decide important things, such as judicial and public awards etc so I merely was suggesting that type of selection process to help Michael out because sometimes its always nice to get others thoughts and opinions. Anyhow never the less its been now clarified for me and anyone whos feelings I may of offended I do sincerely appologize. Rodney finally you most certainy do deserve your time in the spotlight and the interview was very interesting as matt pointed out. For those of you who still think Im a **** well your right so I cant fault you on your accuracy of perception. Rodney Congratulations on a continued contribution to the hobby and good luck with that beast of a project your facing.

Tim

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Following on from this and the idea of what Tim mentioned on a democratic society.

Why doesn't michael create a forum post each month with the top 3 or 4 builders he nominates to receive the award along with a picture and why they should receive the award and we as forum members and simbuilers can vote via a poll in the thread and the winner after a week can be the Builder of Month that way it's fair everyone has a chance for a say and it also promotes self esteem. Plus the fact we get a lot of 3/4 mini interviews and pics each month

Sounds like a good idea in my personal opinion. I might be a bit biased personally, so lets see what mike has to say.

Anyone in agreeance with the idea being pursued?
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 737 Gez View Post
    Following on from this and the idea of what Tim mentioned on a democratic society.

Why doesn't michael create a forum post each month with the top 3 or 4 builders he nominates to receive the award along with a picture and why they should receive the award and we as forum members and simbuilers can vote via a poll in the thread and the winner after a week can be the Builder of Month that way it's fair everyone has a chance for a say and it also promotes self esteem. Plus the fact we get a lot of 3/4 mini interviews and pics each month

Sounds like a good idea in my personal opinion. I might be a bit biased personally, so lets see what mike has to say.

Anyone in agreeance with the idea being pursued?
    Too complicated. Keep it fun.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I appreciate all the comments and recommendations, but I must tell you the BOM thread is not the the area to make suggestions or recommendations regarding articles and specifically the BOM.

Being that said and regarding the BOM, the perception the BOM are only for builders that have finished their product is not true. I don't think we've had any BOMs that have a finished their sim. Actually I don't believe anyone can have a finished sim, since the technology is not yet available to have a completely functional sim.

Regarding the rest of the recommendations.... they are wonderful Any volunteers to perform them????

Matt Olieman
    Last edited by Matt Olieman; 04-01-2009 at 12:11 PM.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    I appreciate all the comments and recommendations, but I must tell you the BOM thread is not the the area to make suggestions or recommendations regarding articles and specifically the BOM.

Being that said and regarding the BOM, the perception the BOM are only for builders that have finished their product is not true. I don't think we've had any BOMs that have a finished their sim. Actually I don't believe anyone can have a finished sim, since the technology is not yet available to have a completely functional sim.

Regarding the rest of the recommendations.... they are wonderful Any volunteers to perform them????

Matt Olieman
    Hmmmm, Well there is the catch.... Someone to do it........
    Bob Reed

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

We are all builders of the month!

I think you have to be something pretty special to get builder of the month, there are 5000 users or so, and there can be only 1 builder each month! So im thinking you have to really stand out above the crowd to be BOM and be producing something that deserves the recognition.

I think that builder of the month is mycockpits prize to give and not ours to give, so why dont we all just let mycockpit.org get on with it like they were in the first place!

Maybe one day one of us will get it and maybe we wont!

Everyone, just keep up the hardwork that you put into your cockpits, keep it going, keep it creative, carry on helping each other, and most of all, lets keep it fun!

We as one, and everyone of us are builders of the month, and every month that we carry on putting the hardwork and effort into our sims!

Please dont build your sims/cockpits just to be in the battle for builder of the month, we all want fantistic, realistic, fully functional sims, so just carry on building guys, do youre thing!

We are all builders of the month! I congratulate everyone on their hardwork!

And most of all, have fun! Keep flying! And i'll see ya at the airport! lol

Well done everyone, and really, dont worry about the BOM title! Your all BOM's on MyCockpit.org.

I solute you all!

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

13. Thanks W9XE/Project777, ivar hestnes, Joe Cygan thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast