1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Urgent Help Needed!

Hi,

I need some SERIOUS help, my computer is doing my head in!

Problem:

When i turn my PC on and waits for xp pro logon screen to come up, at the logon screen my computer screen flickers a about 5 times, then freezes, and then it takes a while for my desktop to load up (about 10 seconds), then my computer will have about 2 minutes of screen flickering when everything is 'jolty and jerky'. Im not able to do ANYTHING in these few minutes, then once everything is calmed down maybe 10 minutes later, my computer freezes up again, starts the flickering, comes to a holt again, etc etc etc, it just repeats itself.

This problem started in january when i bought my new computer, it was only a mere 1 flicker at startup, now its just chaos.

My computer is:

Intel Dual Core 2.2ghz / 2gb Ram / 320GB HD SATA /
    Graphics card is ATI RADEON HD 3600 SERIES (1024MB)
    Screen: LG FLATRON 22 INCH LCD

Im using SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY to remove any spyware/adware. Search comes up as no errors on that.

Im using ADVANCE SYSTEM CARE to search and remove/fix all other errors.

It turns out that i ALWAYS have registry errors, i use ADVANCE SYSTEM CARE to fix these errors, but when i do a scan again it says i have the same registry errors.

How do is sort out this mess, the flickerings and freeze is driving me mad.

Really need help?

Thankyou

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

Hi Alex,

Try booting up in VGA mode by pressing F8 on startup, if this loads ok then it could be a graphic card driver problem in which case try downloading the latest from the net.

If this fails then remove and reseat your memory and your vga card but this is unlikely.

Hope this helps mate

David.

3. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Chances are that search and destroy cannot detect the virus that is responsible for this. You might want to try AVG. If you dont find the virus and remove it, every time you reboot it is going to corrupt your registry again, making it seem like the reg repair is not working. There isnt one single anti virus out there that can spot everything, so use 2 to improve your chances.

If it has been like this since you bought it then take it back!
    Shop bought PCs are notorious for coming with viruses pre loaded. I once ran a virus check on a new Acer laptop it found 3 viruses! I hadnt connected it to the internet either, the AVG install was from a disc that had passed a scan!

This is why I prefer build my own.

Give another Virus scanner a try. AVG is probably the best free one there is, so try that and report back. If it doesnt work we can try something else.
    Tom.

5. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hello.

Thanks for the replies my friends, i did un update on the driver, managed to get this direct from their website, and amazingly it sorted out the flicker problem.
    But i still had the freeze problem, to my knowlege this was some mental virus trying to attack my computer, infact im thinking it was many viruses trying to attack me. So i have downloaded another anti-virus program called AVAST and its free for 1 year.....cool huh? And its stopped the freezing....so im happy now!

So as you guys mentioned i think it was a combination of bad graphics driver and a few viruses that my computer couldnt destroy, though the registry problems are a bit of a mystery still!

Many many thanks for the answers! I owe you one!

Alex
    GA or the Highway!