10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Possible network problem

Hello to all,

I am at the early stage of trying to set up a network and have a bit of a conumdrum. I am using a four port hub to try and connect three computers to and believe I may have a permissions issue. I have configured the cards correctly (I believe) and put the first two computers into the same workgroup. Both are using XP Pro. My client computer shows server and client under the workgroup, but the Server computer will not let me see either! (Message along the lines of "Blah blah server is not available - you do not have the correct permissions etc). To compound it all, I already have Wide client installed (server on the server and client on the client) and it connects! (MSFSX says that it is connected to 1 client).

Any suggestions or remedies? I have searched the forums and dont seem to be able to find the answer.

ok this might be an easy fix or a nighmare.

first things first, it would be easier if you assign each computer a static IP address

Something like this

IP address 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.0.1

the default gateway and subnet mask should remain the same on each pc, only the IP address will change so the next one will be 192.168.0.3 and so on

The reason I have left 192.168.0.1 out of the picture is that this is generally the default IP address for most internet routers.

Next you need to add all pc's into the same workgroup call it whatever you like as long as they are all the same.

Now you should be able to browse each pc in the network.

For you to be able to see specific files and folders you will need to share the folders that you want, just right click and select sharing and go from there.

Now finally I tend to share all my wideclient folders even althought I dont think you need to and its advisable to edit the .ini file to advise the IP address of where the wideserver is located.

Remeber that you dont need any server OS's to run wideclient as a server it just has to be in your fs directory as per the instructions.

that should be you up and running but if you have any more snags let me know

regards

David.

3. Thanks PaulCooper thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

It may be that you have windows firewall running.
    If so, try turning it off and seeing if that helps.
    I also assume that you have shared either the entire C: drives on each computer or at least the folders that you want to access.

cheers

Paul

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Windows XP will not allow the entire C:\ drive to be shared. At least I haven't found a way around that yet.

But any folder can be shared.

Not sure how Vista acts for permissions for the whole C:\ drive.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

you can share the C: drive in windows by making it a hidden share by placing a $ sign on the end of the share name, you'll need to give the users rights to it though

so the path would be \\computername\c$

As it would be a hidden share you wont see it but you will be able to map it

David.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Cool! Thanks for the tip.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!