Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Airbus Airbus gauges for the MIP

Hello Builders,

is there any place, where you can buy the two gauges, needed for the main instrument panel of an airbus A320? I talk about the clock and the brake pressure indicator. I know that the clock can be displayed via PM, but I thought about a full hardware solution via USB without any other hard- or software dependence (except for a self written interface).

I don't know a supplier for these gauges and the only reference for this parts I found were for the clock:
    http://www.a320homecockpit.de/000000...83b/index.html
    And for the pressure indicator:
    http://www.a320homecockpit.de/000000...712/index.html

I liked the idea with three small servos and therefore started to plan it, here is my intermediate model of it:

If you like the faceplate, you can download a 1MP version of it from http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y00.../faceplate.png or I can provide you a svg, if you like.

My question: Has any of you already built the gauge like this and has any advise? I currently have no good solution for fixing the needles on the servos except glueing, because I don't know how to get the gear wheel as a geometry in a needle. The interface can easily be done via a microcontroller, or with given solutions that are available on the market right now.

Well the other have of my project is the digital style clock, with at least the most important functions, first the pictures of it:

Here also the question, I have seen that some of you use a monitor version of the clock, but I found no supplier or builder and the guy from the link in the introduction has not yet finished this clock. Is anyone out there, that already built this clock? I have big problems to find the correct display type, the 4 digit clock types are only available in green, yellow or white ones are produced, but it seems no distributor sells them to private customers.

Well I hope I get some replies on this and maybe you have solutions for any of my problems or at least some tips. If you want to get any more informations (preleminary circuit diagram or PCB-circuit layout of the clock or dimensions, drawings, etc. from any of the projects), just let me know.

Tobias,
    Germany

25+ Posting Member

Sorry for being as much OT as I possibly can but, what software have you used to build those prototypes?

Quote Originally Posted by Didrik View Post
    Sorry for being as much OT as I possibly can but, what software have you used to build those prototypes?
    The whole CAD stuff is done in Solid Edge, the development of PCBs and the circuit diagrams are done with Eagle and the faceplate for the pressure indicator is done with Inkscape. I am then using the graphics or the PCB layout as a texture to represent it in Solid Edge. If you like to know more, feel free to ask.

Airbus Progress with the brakepressure indicator

Even though, nobody replied on the initial topic, I hope I am not boring you with the progress of the gauges. I am doing the brakepressure indicator first.
    I etched the PCB last week, soldered it yesterday and after some tests yesterday evening, resolderd it today. The result with one servo attached looks like this:

In the afternoon I tested the device, on the first hand there was a problem in my self written software, then with the external oscillator, but I managed to get it work and now the software reads out the values of left/right brake applied from FS, converts it to a servo position and sends it via USB to my PCB, which drives the servo, which looks like you can see in this short video (some braking applied with my pedals, therefore the movement is not very smooth):
    http://www.mycockpitvideos.com/video...pter-first-try

I hope you like it and I inform you after building the rest around it, if you like. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Tobias, and welcome to the site. You'll never bore anyone here with progress on any portion of a simulator, that's what draws us here You look like you're well skilled in CAD, PCB and code, which puts you well qualified to help many others here. Please continue to keep us posted with your progress, we love to see innovation so I'm sure there'll be many questions coming your way.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Hi Tobias, and welcome to the site. You'll never bore anyone here with progress on any portion of a simulator, that's what draws us here
    I know, was just kdding to catch attention,

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    You look like you're well skilled in CAD, PCB and code, which puts you well qualified to help many others here. Please continue to keep us posted with your progress, we love to see innovation so I'm sure there'll be many questions coming your way.
    In CAD you maybe right, but to be honest this was the only third PCB I did in my life, first one was in school several years ago, the second one was an rather easy adaption from the Airbus 5-Pole XLR jack to jacks that can be connected to a standard sound interface, which only needed 6 resistors and 2 capacitors:

Headset:

Soundinterface:

So in fact it was the first real challange with this small SMD chips and stuff.

I keep you informed on the status.

Airbus Status update

OK, here is an update of what I have done:

I redesigned the PCB to fit on a square of 50x50cm, I designed a second board in the same size to keep the inverter for the EL-foil in place. The base plate was done by our shop and the srews and distance bolts are standard parts.

The main problem were the small needles of the gauge, I wanted to make them from plastic with a CNC mill, we tried several options and at the end I decided to do the bottom first and then build a device to hold it while doing the upper plate.

OK, here are some preliminary report pictures:

Device mounted with a b/w faceplate below, not the best figures, wanted to use the worst one for the tests:

Here you can see the whole device from the side, with base plate, interface PCB in the middle and inverter PCB at top:

Finally a bad picture with my mobile phone camera, mounted in the panel without faceplate:

A better picture of the finally mounted device will follow, when I am done with it.

8. Thanks Swiss1673, brianwilliamson thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Thank you Tobias for this very interesting project. I will have to now add this to my list of future things to do !!
    Cheers...............Brian W.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

WOW Tobias, nice to see this come to life. Job well done and inspirational

Matt Olieman

Hi there,

Any chance you might share with us the layout and parts list of the PCB
    and some explanationm on how this works. Seems very interseting?

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast