Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I'm going to have to agree here. I find the world of sim building to be an intel war where people who have information hoarde it with intentions of profit, which is not how this hobby started.
    And remember, regardless of their taxes, that's a large markup and shipping cost for a part's of which the material value is worth 5$ tops, It would be costly to go through the trouble of moulding it, but i don't think he intends to do that. This is as simple and cheap as turing some steel on a lathe.
    PM me if you still need those dimensions. Incidentally, I was going to swing by the cockpit sometime soon anyway to measure the engine start panel to make one for my sim.

300+ Forum Addict

I would agree that there are people who have information we ask for, and they wont give it up no matter how much we ask. But that is a choice they make, and are entitled to do so. I had they same issue with the throttle dimensions. But if someone has gone to the trouble (A LOT of trouble) of designing a throttle unit and builds it to sell I see no problem with that. I wish they would just hand over all of the info so I can copy it, but it's a their choice if they don't, and you have respect all ofthe research and hard work someone puts into that. My throttle will never be that good, but using photos I have found here and elsewhere I will come up with something usable and witing my limited budget.

Since even these commercial units are copied from the real ones, IMHO there would be no sin in copying a unit purchased from a sim parts vendor, after all, they copied it from the real thing, it's not an original design they own. If you look around on youtube and instrucables you will find plenty of articles on how to make your own parts. I have made some great parts with cast aluminum as well as using JB Weld as a material for casting. The JB Weld parts come out great.

M.Carter also has a good point about authenticty. If you are replicating a part for authenicity then the price is the price. If you can't figure out how to make it you must buy it. I am not so much focused on 100% authenticity as I am functionality. A plain toggle switch will suffice if I can't buy/find/build a replica.

Being elite in and of itself does not qualify a group or individual as having any positive or desireable qualities. History is full of elite groups and individuals that have brought destruction to humans. Dictators and serial killers could be considered elite groups.

If you wanted to assume that being considered elite (even if only by it's members) was an indication of having positive or desirebale qualities, then it would still in my opinion be incorrect to associate the elite status with the amount of money an object or activity costs to be considered a member of that group. People that own one or more paintings by one of the classic masters might be considered an elite group, unless compared to the truly elite group of folks that actually painted them. Under that scenario and comparison the owners of such artworks would be considered pedestrian at best. Much the same could be argued for us builders of cockpits, playing with our 'make-believe' airplanes that we copy from real ones.

IMHO what might make this group of builders on this forum elite are the capabilities and creativity that they bring to the table, along with the willingness to share. When I look at the stuff some of these folks actually build, (not buy), I feel humble and intimidated. I try and build my own parts when I can, and by comparison my own meager skills are pale and child-like. These individuals are in my eyes part of an elite group indeed.

You can buld a sim without taking a second mortgage on your home, or if you don't have a 7-figure salary, but might take longer than someone who can just run out and buy all the kits to assemble, and you might have to make some things yourself. Like warvet said, he's been building 10 years and still spent $100k.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I had some made at a local machine from drawings I made. I had to have 12 made to keep the price at $50 each. That's without the switch.

Believe me, Tim didn't buy his parts overnight, nor did I. So you don't have to be rich to buy expensive parts, you just have to be patient and buy a piece at a time.

I've been at it for over a decade and still buying parts. Yeah, sure, people looked at my cockpit and the first question that comes out of their mouth is, "How much?" I won't tell them, because they think they have to come up with the bucks at one time to build a pit.

Take baby steps, one step at a time. Save up the $60 and buy two switches. Once you get them in the mail, that's the greatest feeling, you're one step closer to a completed pit.

Matt Olieman
    Last edited by Matt Olieman; 04-23-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Hi Buddym,

I couldnt have said it better.....

The thing is that if you want everything to be as close as the real thing ... a lot of money should be spent.
    What I try to do is to make it all functional. When that step is done, I fly and use my cockpit
    and if some money is available or a nice opportunity comes a long I replace a self build part with something better looking. That keeps me going... with flying and making the pit look nicer all the time. Like for this year my budget is already spent on a new PC to run FS. So the only improvement on the pit this year will be very minor. last year I spent my budget on two second hand elite FDS MCDUs, the year before that a second hand FDS elite overhead and so on...

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

costs

Hello,

I just want to say something about the things written here about companys doing business with cockpit parts. I can only write on my point of view. Doing a switch like the A320 Engine starter starts with modelling the switch in 3D. We are doing so because of copyright reasons. Then you need to have one model prototyped for 150-220 Euros depending on the size and number. Then you need to have silicon (1Kg for 50-100 Euro) depending what silicon you use. Then the Resin or liquid metal to do the switch. Then the engraving material for the top plate. You have to sell many switches to get the material and prerunning costs back. And there is still no time calculated to do a switch. The locking switch itself has to be bought. So in the end I think 30 Euros is ok for a little more realism.

regards Jörg
    www.simparts.de
    Jörg Weinmann
    Stuttgart
    Germany
    +49 711 / 4709846

6. Thanks dnoize thanked for this post

There are only two types of airplanes that matters. Old and new Airbus...
    Current projects: Developing of new VA, CNC router and A320 flightdeck.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    hehehe

hehehe
    Goose, I guess I don't understand what you are thinking or how you are perceiving what is being said. We got a communication gap here.

No one is trying to feed you bunch of bull, they're just sharing experiences with you.

J&W he's coming from a vendors point of view and his cost to manufacture that switch.

I think you're taking this the wrong way.

Perhaps just best not to take this thread any further, because it isn't helping you. Although folks are trying.

Matt Olieman

PS and you switched your comment at least three times

Dimensions

Just shoot me an email and I can send you the pdf with dimensions we are using.

regards Jörg
    www.simparts.de
    Jörg Weinmann
    Stuttgart
    Germany
    +49 711 / 4709846

Matto, yes I switched. Because I didn’t agree with myself the reaction on last 10 posts. Sometimes, I react before I think, therefore so many changes.

And talk about elite clubs and stuff like that, how can answer for it? I will never take talk like that seriously, so better not to speak.

Therefore hehehe and ........ are the only thinks I can write.

Sorry for that Matto. Sorry for posting stupid questions…

JW. Thank you for willing to help, but I already got dimensions.
    There are only two types of airplanes that matters. Old and new Airbus...
    Current projects: Developing of new VA, CNC router and A320 flightdeck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12