Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie Jake 747 400's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Projection distance

Hi everyone.
    Does anyone know the minimum distance the the surface projected on can be to the projector or front of the sim.
    If it different for specific aircraft, its B744 im building.
    Thanks.
    Jake
    Boeing 744ever jakes747sim.webs.com

500+ This must be a daytime job

Jake

The minimum distance from the projector to the screen depends on the make and model of projector and this can vary considerably between ultra wide and wide angle/short throw projectors. The link below is one of many available on the web which will give you an idea.

I think that you should work back from what size screen you want and then establish whether you can get a projector that will both fit within your physical constraints on both distance and angle from the projector mounting to the bottom of the screen.

http://www.dalite.com/products/proje...calculator.php

Regards

David

3. Thanks 767300 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie Jake 747 400's Avatar

RE

Hi David.
    Thanks for the reply and advice.
    I will check the link out thanks.
    It was just so I know how much longer than the sim I have to build the shed.
    Thanks
    Jake
    Boeing 744ever jakes747sim.webs.com

Hi Jake,

Before you start drilling some poles into the ground and poor some concrete for the fundament of your shed there are a few more questions you might want to ask yourself, like e.g.:
    - what pricerange projector can I afford? Short throw projectors come far
    more expensive then projectors with regular lenses.
    With regular projectors (say around 500 Euros) you will need approx 3 mtr
    of throw range.
    - do you want front or back projection. With front projection you need to
    have the proper height in the shed otherwise your own pit (or at least your
    overhead will get in the way.
    If you decide for backprojection using a 'non' short throw projector you will
    need the throw length in addition to the lenght of your pit.
    - What screen material can you afford. Crytal clear type of projection screens
    will help to make the outside world look better but will cost more.

If I might suggest, start experimenting if possible somewhere else in the house with preferably 1 projector and some pieces of wood you might have laying around to represent the shape of the pit.
    I can tell you from experience: I did the same thing on my loft and it totally changed the originals plans I had.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Martin

6. Thanks 767300 thanked for this post

Thumbs up

Hi guys,

That projection calculator is brillant!! Should be a sticky!! Any advice on Screen materials, for both front and rear projection.

Thanks again for the advice.

James

James,
    Best advice I can give is no matter what type of material you use make sure its a Dark greythis will cut glare and ensure true blacks and high quality clear color. MDF makes a good material for screens and is very easily formed to curves also PVC sheet or Cintra. You can use Cloth Sheets with High thread count that have been dyed, just some suggestions.You can also loo at this as well http://www.paintonscreen.com/
    Hope this helps.
    Tim

500+ This must be a daytime job

James

In addition to Tims good advice do a forum search on Black Widow paint

Regards

David

The calculator is brilliant but what I miss is how close to the screen you can put your cockpit before you create a shadow. Obviously everybody wants their screens as short as possible to the cockpit to save room. Therefor the projectors have to be behind/beside the cockpit but the question is, what is the limit? Also, how high must the screens be?

Any experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    The calculator is brilliant but what I miss is how close to the screen you can put your cockpit before you create a shadow. Obviously everybody wants their screens as short as possible to the cockpit to save room. Therefor the projectors have to be behind/beside the cockpit but the question is, what is the limit? Also, how high must the screens be?

Any experience?
    Hi,

Currently testing my setup and at the moment I have an Optoma EX525ST short throw projector. At the moment it is 1.95m off the ground and about 1.9m from my 'screen' i.e. the wall. The wall is currently 1m from the face of my MCP. Havent measured the image produced but it is approximately 1.8m wide and at least 1.5m tall.
    Still playing with it but I don't think there will be much change...

Cheers
    Mike

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Redbirdman's Avatar

Also, how high must the screens be?

Any experience?

I am using an older (almost free) Toshiba S30 projector that really changed my whole concept of flight sim. First let me say it has a bulb life supposed to be about 2000 hours and I got it high time! How real is that compared to real world aviation? I actually use a log book to keep track of my bulb hours and if it had a dipstick I would test the oil for metal chips!
    I am still experimenting and changing things but here are a few things I found you may want to consider.

My Toshiba (at least, I dunno about other makes) has a fantastic 'convergence' feature that allows the projector to sit on different heights than the 'screen'. Then the 'convergence' adjusts the picture so it is not all warped out of shape by the angle. But AFA the height of the screen; I found it is best for me to have a height equal to the position of my eyeglass 'distance' for infinity, rather than the mid range I would use with a regular set of monitors. Of course, age has a lot to do with these ol'man factors but they should be considered.

The placement of the projector can dump considerable heat on you as well as noise. I actually find both kind of comparable to RW aircraft but here in Arizona where it can reach 122 degrees in the spring a hot projector blowing on a bald head is not fun.
    But the biggest problem is the glare from the bulb either lighting up dust particles in the air or reflecting off items in the cockpit or even off the frame of your eyeglasses. You gotta try all these things out and find the best solution.
    I project (over my head) onto a white wall about 10 feet from the projector and get an 8 foot by 12 foot wide visual that seems to be the most realistic feel. I also aim the projector up just slightly and have my sim pit angled up slightly as well to trick the mind into not feeling so 'glued to the floor'. My monitor (instrument panel) is also set at a distance for my eyeglass mid-focal distance. The older I get the further away that dimension gets. So while my simpit is not exactly to 'scale' the 'immersion' is the best for me.
    Also, while I never tried it, I am told 'spandex' fabric sold in fabric stores works great as a screen. I don't know how you can explain why you will need such a 'wide' piece though and I suggest you don't bring the missus with you when you go to buy it. ( ( )
    Hope I shed a little light...
    Redbird
    Last edited by Redbirdman; 03-21-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: really stupid speeling and grammir wif a lot to still go

13. Thanks Goldmember thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast