View Poll Results: Do you want to use PM's/w with X-Plane Simulator ?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it will be a good idea

49 62.03%
  • No i don't care.

23 29.11%
  • I don't know - No opinion

7 8.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Thanks Jonathan,

Was hoping you would pop in here and let us at least know that you guys are aware of the situation, and will not be folding up.

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanRichardson View Post
    Hi

I would not worry about the whole X-Plane issue for now, it is still very early days since the MS news.
    Jonathan,

thanks for your reply.

I believe that X-Plane, should be an independent option and a subject not connected with MS-Fs feature.

regards
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

Heli Builder

I found this link about Austin Meyer's announcement on his website regarding the closure of the ACES studio by Microsoft.

http://www.x-plane.com/ms_to_xp/ms_to_xp.html
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

Smile XPlane and PM

Yes, I definitely hope that PM will change their minds on this. I know that Austin has tried to make this happen but PM has not reciprocated.

Let's face it, MSFS is dead for a minimum of 5 years. The economy is likely not to improve for another 3 years (my guess), MS is not going to hire anyone back until that time, then you're talking about another 2 to 3 to get a fresh development team back up to speed. 5 years minimum before (even if) we see MSFS again. Rumor has it that there was a fight to have a PC version of it (MS wanting to get everything over to a console platform).

By then, think of where X-Plane will be? 5 years of constant development?

I understand that the 3rd party developers will keep things going, but I know I like to have a product that is growing and keeping up with the graphic trends.

My guess if PM does not see the light someone else will.

Matt

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mattford1 View Post
    Let's face it, MSFS is dead for a minimum of 5 years. The economy is likely not to improve for another 3 years (my guess), MS is not going to hire anyone back until that time
    "Dead"? There's still immense potential for FSX, and many folks are still using FS9 which has been "dead", in your terms, for over two years already!

Also see this, posted late last week:

http://members.microsoft.com/careers...SortOrder=Desc

Maybe, maybe not? They are hiring ... read especially this part:

Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Does working on a small, innovative team that delivers the most immersive flight experiences available today on the PC intrigue you? Our technology makes available entire continents - potentially the entire planet - for a detailed and dynamic 3D experience. We are looking for a Project Art Lead who can define, refine, and extend the visual elements while balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users.
    Pete

Fsx

Very interesting. I wonder why they would fire the entire team, then rehire. Perhaps to get cheaper folks??

My "dead" might have been too severe, but I think it will definitely be a while if and when we see a new product.

This still does not change my desire to see X-Plane and PM play together. A while back I was at a simulation visual company that uses X-Plane to drive their demo simulator. I asked why they used X-Plane verses FSX and the reply was that MSFS was considered a bit of a joke in the airline training arena and X-Plane was taken a bit more seriously. Also, X-Plane had a data output rate of 60hz with so they had no problem with it driving their IG system smoothly (a problem I'm having right now). I was told a similar story by a fellow who was building FTD's and the CAA asked why he wasn't using x-plane. I think there is enormous market potential for those guys if they opened it up to both platforms.

I think it would be advantageous (and economically a good thing too) for PM to support both. PM is currently the best product on the market and many people are switching to x-plane or using both programs.

Matt

I just switched from FS9 to X-Plane reluctantly at first, see I ran into a nasty computer virus which wiped out all the valuable payware like FSUIPC from my hard drive. I had backups but to be honest Im a bit fed up with the vulnerability of windows. Currently I am running Ubuntu Linux 8.10

Some of the things that really impress me with X-Plane(XP) are the fast loading ground textures, which are very high resolution, never a blurry set of textures always sharp. I am not a programmer but looking into the SDK it seems that XP can be interfaced with 3rd party software without the need of an external program like FSUIPC. Also you can network multiple instances of XP on different computers to display different views without using a program like WideView(see why some developers may be negative towards XP). It seems that XP was developed with cockpit builders in mind.

Also XP runs silky smooth on a modest computer with decent settings, which greatly enhances the feeling of motion in the sim.

Additionally the controversial physics in X-Plane suit me well, now Im no pilot but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, I think this aspect feels more realistic then the MSFS series.

But with all those nice things said there are some negatives to XP I would like to point out, first the lack of AI traffic and no availability of a 3rd party add-on.

Second no in house flight planner, but a payware product called Goodway is available.

Third is the weather engine, I am not a big fan on the weather rendering at all but on the upside it is not a resource hog like FS9 or FSX.

Finally the lack of 3rd party support for this product, it has much potential to be a great sim but without 3rd party support some areas are incomplete and that is how this rant relates to the topic

My advice if you do chose to give XP a try is to approach it with an open mind and keep in the back of your head that with more third party support XP has a lot more potential....and could easily surpass FS9 or FSX in a short time.

X-Plane

No doubt X-Plane has some drawbacks. I dont' think it's a "replacement" for FSX or FS9 for that matter. Like all products, it has it's good points and bad points. I've never liked the X-Plane cockpits, but I have a Boeing 737-700 in my garage, so that's not important to me. Always a mixed bag, but I think it has huge potential, and now that MSFS is out of the picture for the near future, I think Austin is going to really ramp up his product.

I just received and installed my X-Plane9.

There are some really good points about it:

Silky smooth
    Textures load very quickly
    Airport lighting is AMAZINGLY beautiful..unlike MSFS
    FOV is much better than MSFS...
    Lighting in general is awesome

BUT

Flight dynamics for the 737 are seriously weird...feels like a jet fighter,
    and that was supposed to be the upside of XPlane?

Still a lot more testing to do...

Nat

I'm wonderin if there is a good B744 model around for X-plane.
    Just would like to test once the X-plane sim.

B. Rgds
    Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast