Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Curved Screen with Mirror

Several months ago I mentioned I got the aluminum frame for my curved screen, using Warvet's (Tim) principal. After I got it, it wasn't quite the way I wanted it..... (what else is new... right?) Anyway, I finally got it back with some excellent adjustments and am in the process of installation.

Here is a couple of pics of my mess, I'll try to keep you up to date here or you can visit my web-site at this page (beware, I'm in the midst of redoing my site): http://www.a340project.us/gallery9.htm

In view is only one of two sections, with two sections it will go round 155 degrees.

The following is the frame for the Projector Stands.

More info later.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Wow Matt.. I was going to ask how that was coming... But you answered the question for me! Can't wait to see it in action.

Administrator

Matt

This really looks good. Is the mirror in one piece? I hate to think how heavy that would be to place in position.

The frame is going to be covered with a ultra white plastic material. The projector will be pointing toward the cockpit, on top of the cockpit there will be a curved mirror, similar to Warvet's design. The problem I have, is placing the mirror on top of the shell, "how?" The mirror is a 12" by 24" plastic covered with Mylar mirror material, so it's not heavy at all. One step at a time..... I guess.

Curved screen challange continues.

Just want to add a few more photos. Still working on adjustments and placement of projector and mirror.

I get e-mails regarding lining up of one projector and another. First of all I'm just starting out with one projector, which is a third of the overall screen (about 52 degrees). Once the other projectors come in to play, the lining up will be done by curving the mirror. Less of a curve on top then the bottom of them mirror. Also keep in mind I'm not trying to stretch the image just square it off an the screen material you see is just temporary, not the final smooth layer. I'll keep you posted

More explanations here: http://www.a340project.us/gallery10.htm

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

WOW!! Matt that is looking amazing!! Is going to be a **** of a Display System!

Roberto

Hi,

I am about to either purchase new LCD projectors, or try to work on DIY LCD Projectors ! More expensive option is the DLP Projectors.

From you experience, What is the best projector to purchase, and resolution, brand ..etc

Or is it better to work on a DIY ?

Actually, I have been in this dilemma for quite some time, searching for projector/s, which should have at least a resolution of 1280x1024, maximum luminus that you can get. So that's when I started thinking about the idea of doing my own projector, as I need 3 - 5 projectors.
    I have a sphere of 220 degrees, height of a.2 meters, radius of 2.75 meters, and my dimensions are very much close to standard dimensions for the cockpit I am working on. The outer shell is big, but then I had another problem of placing the projectors above the cockpit for another height of at least 2 meters and up to 2.5 meters, to give me a total distance of 5 meters from the screen. The advantage of using a collimated display system is the FOV for both pilots, and also the depth of the screen. Having said that, I need to really come up with some good ideas to get very realistic view of the outside world, working both on the screen and projectors.

Nothing have been achieved yet, as implementation of the actual projectors of displays, but still working on theories.

I would appreciate if you can give me some light to start following and working through the lines, as I was also trying to budget for this part.

TIA,

Hi Deya, DIY LCD projector.... I suppose some builders are happy with that. I don't think you would get the same quality and brightness the real thing.

Which one to get is another dilemma You mentioned 1280X1024, I personally have not found any with that resolution, at least not native. Although I've heard people talk about it, they've got to cost a fortune. They have to be at least $5K plus. I would love to have a 1280 X 1034, higher resolution, the bigger the picture without seeing the pixels.

I got my projector 3 years ago, (as of yesterday), this is what I have: I use a NEC LT240, it's 1024 X 768 Native, It can do "keystone" & "Cornerstone" adjustments (this is critical for curved screens), also adjustable "Zoom" lens.

The light source is 1600 lumens and has a contrast of 1300:1. Of course newer projectors have up to 5000 lumens, which is amazing.

This projectors lens allows you to have a wide focus range, so a curved screen will remain in focus around the edges. Price I paid for this unit was around $4k. What is a real killer, and with most projectors it's the same with most projector, is the cost to replace the lamp (mine cost around $400). Mine lasts for 1500 hours, I've got 1900 hours on it and I've lost about 40$ of the brightness, so I've been looking for a new lamp.

Deya, I recommend doing the same as I am, through the beam toward the cockpit to a mirror then your screen. Is it going to be like the real-sim cockpit with the collimating mirror display syste..... no. But, with a spherical screen it will give you a good feel.

I've been projecting on a flat screen, and was content. Since I've been playing with the curved screen, even at 55 degree visual, I was truly amazed the sense of flight it gave me. Of course it only lines up with the Cpt, otherwise the F/O is flying sideways.

My screen will be 155 degrees and I'll use 3 projectors, you on the other hand will probably need 5 to cover 220 degrees.

I've been working on my project for about 4 years, and the outside view has always been a priority, and am very critical of how it will be viewed. There are many builders that agree with me and strive for the ultimate view as the collimating mirror system. It's been discussed at quite a few levels, and making your own, is out of the question. There is no way to duplicate it, not without the expertise that it requires to build one, let alone the tools. So we are stuck, and the best we can do is a projections system to a screen.

My suggestion is, work on the curved screen.

mirror

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Several months ago I mentioned I got the aluminum =frame for my curved screen, using Warvet's (Tim) principal. After I got it, it wasn't quite the way I wanted it..... (what else is new... right?) Anyway, I finally got it back with some excellent adjustments and am in the process of installation.

Here is a couple of pics of my mess, I'll try to keep you up to date here or you can visit my web-site at this page (beware, I'm in the midst of redoing my site): http://www.a340project.us/gallery9.htm

In view is only one of two sections, with two sections it will go round 155 degrees.

The following is the frame for the Projector Stands.

More info later.
    why do you need a mirror to display the image?can't you project the image directly on the screen?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hey!

The reason us use the mirror is it serves 2 purposes. #1 it curves the image uniform ally to display evenly on the curved surface, so there is no stretching of the image. and secondly it takes the distance from the projector to the screen and almost doubles it. The image goes twice the distance and therefore is larger in size. Works great for short sim rooms.

Trev