75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

727 Mip Dimensions

Hi Guys,

I have a friend of mine who would like to build a 727 cockpit. Does anyone know where i can find dimensions or drawings for a 727 cockpit.

Cheers

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hey there.. If I am not mistaken, the dimensions of the 727, are identical to the dimensions of the 737.

Trev

Not quite the same as a 737

I don't have any drawings but the size and shapes are different. The "Glass" MIP is taller and has angles where the -200 advanced has more angles. There are a couple of good picture over at APHS that show it.I do not know if there is a difference between the -100 and -200. I would think the interior shell would be very close to the size of the 737. The first pic is the -200 and the second the glass one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Yes, they are. It's the same fuselage section. Same windows and windscreen, same overhead (main) dimensions and mounting, etc.

The panel is 60" wide, or 5'. Height varies greatly with curves in different areas along the top edge. It's not as cleanly designed as the NG panel. It's a lot like a 737-200 panel. Or I should say the -200 panel is a lot like the 727 panel. And nearly every one is different. You can't build an incorrect MIP for the 727 unless you are modeling a specific airline configuration.

The glareshield and sidewalls are quite a bit different though. I don't know of any dimensions available for the cockpit. I based mine on the 737 for the structure and used photos for the interior. Mine has a couple of errors due to not enough, or late-coming information when it was too late to change anything without a total rework.

If your friend can get ahold of just one instrument panel section he can extrapolate the rest of the panel. Most panels are in 10 sections, but some like mine are only eight sections. Depends upon the age of the bird and the customer.

You can pick up an entire empty 727 instrument panel for around $300-$400. Saves a lot of labor. There are a LOT of holes to cut not only for instruments, but for half a bazillion indicator lamps, buttons, and switches too.

If your friend's time is worth more than the above, it's best to just buy the panel and be done with it. If however, your friend enjoys torture and other mayhem, he can build it himself.

Real panels are relatively cheap compared to aftermarket panels for the 737NG. In fact, dirt cheap. Did I say they are the real panels from the aircraft? Built in lighting, no extra charge. Switches and indicators included and ready to interface into the sim. Some with more hair-pulling and cussing than others, but all doable.

I haven't found anything you can't buy for a 727 except interior trim. That's pretty scarce, but not impossible to build himself.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!