Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cygan View Post
    Actually Gary I was talking about trade marking of geometrical shapes, but thanks for the complements. I’m thinking there is a misunderstanding here, I apologize if so.

Joe
    It would be patent, not trademark. And because it's the shell design of a real aircraft, I don't believe they'd have much of a leg to stand on. I'm all for competition in simpit products. If someone wants to come out with competing shells, as long as they're not knockoffs, more power to them. It drives prices down when there isn't a monopoly in place for specific items. One should not be afraid to compete in this market. Anything to drive prices down is good for the community.

75+ Posting Member

competition....

"Anything to drive prices down is good for the community"

the real cost is in the development....but if you have the means to copy parts it costs nothing to churn them out.

well...i know for a fact my shell has cost 300 dollars au for something that is like..2000 cad i also make all 737 knobs. it sickens me to see the prices charged by the bigger shops. we all know that the polyurethane in each knob is like 20 cents. (i must do that exact calc one day)

right now the shell is made in one piece. if i spent a week on it i could fit folds/joins for it to be bolted together and hence flat packed. good thing i was a boilermaker for ten years. supposed i should copy my metal mip aswell when i get around to it.
    at the end of the day..if someone has the means to make exact replicas...whats to stop them charging the same as the big boys do?

not fair really.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Withers View Post
    competition....

the real cost is in the development....but if you have the means to copy parts it costs nothing to churn them out.

at the end of the day..if someone has the means to make exact replicas...whats to stop them charging the same as the big boys do?

Hey guys,,,check Copyrights laws on Wikipedia or consult your lawyer!!!
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

I believe that was my thread. Unfortunately the info that is available is not complete. Because the angles in the horizontal plane are unknown, everybody has a hard time to construct the windows.

See attachment, the top line of the windows is in a horizontal plane (red). The front vertical bar is under 45 degrees (green). Given these facts, there's only one way to arrange the windows so it should be possible to calculate the angles with the question marks.

I've tried to post it in a general science newsgroup to see if some math expert could calculate the angles but I've got no answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

75+ Posting Member

These angles can be found by downloading the Autocad drawing that's available here I think. If not, it's available on the Opencockpits website. There is a free CAD program that will let you read these measurements. I measured these angles using Turbocad. I compared the angles from that drawing with some screenshots from FSX and they were correct within 2 degrees. In fact converting these screenshots into CAD files showed that this drawing is pretty accurate. I also used these screenshots to design a curved cockpit. I had to make the outside more narrow and shorter to fit in the space I have. (But the inside is still correct). Also comparing them with Markus pilot's measurements they are all really close give or take here or there.

I can list them for you if you would like...just don't have them handy at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
    These angles can be found by downloading the Autocad drawing that's available here I think. If not, it's available on the Opencockpits website. There is a free CAD program that will let you read these measurements. I measured these angles using Turbocad. I compared the angles from that drawing with some screenshots from FSX and they were correct within 2 degrees. In fact converting these screenshots into CAD files showed that this drawing is pretty accurate. I also used these screenshots to design a curved cockpit. I had to make the outside more narrow and shorter to fit in the space I have. (But the inside is still correct). Also comparing them with Markus pilot's measurements they are all really close give or take here or there.

I can list them for you if you would like...just don't have them handy at the moment.
    Hi,
    is it possible, please to send us the link of this autocad file? I found this file : PANELES 737 NG R14.zip at Opencockpits site, but this have only the panels, not the entire cabin's dimensions or angles.

thanks
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpilot View Post
    Hey guys,,,check Copyrights laws on Wikipedia or consult your lawyer!!!
    I know enough about copyright and reverse engineering as a manufacturing engineer to know that you can compete in the same market with similar products without having to copy them. Scaring people off if they want to compete in this market is a dumb move. Frankly, if I get my machine shop up and running in the next few years I actually plan on targeting expensive kits to push prices down in the community. If people don't like that, too bad.

75+ Posting Member

"I know enough about copyright and reverse engineering as a manufacturing engineer to know that you can compete in the same market with similar products without having to copy them. Scaring people off if they want to compete in this market is a dumb move. Frankly, if I get my machine shop up and running in the next few years I actually plan on targeting expensive kits to push prices down in the community. If people don't like that, too bad"

exactly what i am doing as we speak....quality at a good price.

stuff that appeals to they category (me included) that arent wealthy.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I like it.

If manufacturers were that concerned about their patents and copyrights, this hobby would have been dead in it's tracks five years ago.

We have manufacturers developing electronics, panels, interfacing solutions, video displays, and all for the home cockpit builder. Tell me this doesn't put a rock it their shoe.

What are they gonna do?

Wouldn't it be great if we were recognized as a buying group by Boeing and Airbus as a "home" or "consumer" version" of what aerospace manufacturers have been building for the last 50 years?

OK, I've been 'not smoking' for too long. I think I need a cigarette.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!