Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A motion platform using Power Steering Racks !!!

Believe it or not but another KIWI (New Zealander) has put his Kiwi tallent to good use.
    Craig is getting a motion platform going using Power Steering Racks from cars and driving them with wiper motors.

Progress looks good and he has just got a website going to pass the info on.
    Great pictures Craig !!

His site http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cwarner/flightsim.htm

His video clip should convert the "unconverted"

Thanks for the info Craig.
    JimNZ
    www.jimspage.co.nz
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Wow! Indeed an amazing setup. From the pictures I gather that Craig has been experimenting with different motion systems, but his latest setup really looks like a mature piece of work. It also shows that the cable pulley method can be used succesfully in combination with car steering units. The video shows nice motion response, this PS rack driven with windshield wiper motors really has promising capabilities.

For the people not familiar with power steering racks (like myself) have a look at http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm and the following pages.

Great work!

Roland
    www.simprojects.nl

Gidday,
    thanks for the kind words.
    Yes progress is good at the minute and finally the light is at the end of the tunnel, yesterday I sorted out the return to centre and finished the software, so today I will run it with FS2002!

150+ Forum Groupie

Ref Steering rack choice

Hi Guys back again actually been checking this site out daily so i think the term lurker is the latest buzzword LOL:- Any chance of some overall specs on the steering rack used ,, Typically amount of travel and how this type of unit dealt with "Backpressure" to coin a phrase used by Jim am intrigued by the cable and pulley method as i am always looking at different options to get around the problems we encounter trying to get our dreams off the drawing board and into reality. . How many Steering racks did you Use and i suppose linked to that question how many DOF's does this type of system produce, looking at your control wiring am i right in saying your going down jim's brilliant method of controlling the motor's would very much like to get some feed back on this info ... Brilliant Video by the way , just shows what can be done and how it can be done .

Gidday,
    I used two steering racks one for roll and one for pitch. (2 DOF)
    With the wiper motors connected, it eliminates any back pressure, you can literally jump up and down on the platform and not move it, I used cables because on the problem of transferring horizontal movement (racks) to vertical (platform) and it seems to work ok.
    Although I copied Jims concept I made quite a few wiring changes due to me not needing to soft start. anyone interested in details of the rig, email me. my website is http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cwarner/flightsim.htm

150+ Forum Groupie

Steering rack travel

Hiya CW Just to say thanks for the info all good stuff going into the mix You answered most of my request but still need to bug you for one more bit of info ok ok make that 2 bits How much travel do you get from your steering rack ..i mean i belive your only using one end of the rack so am trying to figure out how much travel is needed to get the Pitch / Roll angles Jim indicated in his project brief.... Now come the pushing my luck LOL any chance of a sketch of your pulley arangment ( again i figure you have set the steering rack output end as a push pull mechanism so you may have 2 cables per axis always maintaining tension at the actuator ??? just guessing here as i said any help would be greatly appreciated. betwwen Jim , Roland and Now Yourself my mechanical concept will be able to see the light of day .. Cheers CW and All The guys / Gals that contribute to the excellent forum .. come on you lurkers i know your there the hit counter says so send us your notions and we will put them in motion ...

Gidday, no need to apologize, dude, I am more than happy to answer any questions in the quest for motion we all share the same interest. The travel on the PS rack is 130 mm. I have made a crude diagram in power point (easiest and most convenient drawing program) it is on my website under platform diagram. I hope it is clear enough( hard to do in 3D)
    Any other Q's fire away. good luck http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cwarner/flightsim.htm

150+ Forum Groupie

Big Up Thank You For the info

Hi Cw Been scanning this website none stop hopping for an answer ....You Sir are a star , Thats the thing i think we take for granted gotta say major thanks for the info and your great attitude just seen the info and you confirmed my thoughts as to how you made your Platform actuators ..Will be going to see the Car Breakers this weekend about the steering racks .. Been working on jims concept for a while now but belive it or not i have had to go build a workshop in the garden to house my new baby when i build her LOLA :-0 a wee Bit Arse about face as we say in the UK , But The Little lady wont let me play with the Motorbike , Paraglider , CNC machine in the House any more LOL good thing is she OK'd the Workshop So been a Bit of a hold up while i get that done. Love this ideas Exchange thing just hope i'll be on the giving end soon to help the next guy out. Got one steering box A La Jim's design already but hoping Steering racks will be cheaper and easier to come by Fingers crossed .. Very Best Regards Good Buddy Cheers

Just a note for anyone out there, the motion platform works! Tested it today and exceeds all expectations! It has been a lot of work but completely worthwhile and I hope other people will go down the same "homemade" path!

I have got to stay out of this forum! Great work, and information.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast