Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Change viewing position?

I'm experimenting with the outside visuals at the moment and I found a little problem.
    If I use the PC-screen to "play" with the FS, then the runway center (and everyting else) is centered to the left pilots window....

The problem comes when I use a beamer and my real cockpit and when I adjust the picture to the center of the cockpit. That means when I sit on the captains seat, I will see the left side of the runway as center.... So my point of view is wrong and somehow I have to tell the FS to shift the enviornment to the reight side.

How to you set up the position of the pilot relative to the environment?

With the current settings I miss the runway completely when I try to land by just looking out the window.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by superconnie View Post
    I'm experimenting with the outside visuals at the moment and I found a little problem.
    If I use the PC-screen to "play" with the FS, then the runway center (and everyting else) is centered to the left pilots window....

The problem comes when I use a beamer and my real cockpit and when I adjust the picture to the center of the cockpit. That means when I sit on the captains seat, I will see the left side of the runway as center.... So my point of view is wrong and somehow I have to tell the FS to shift the enviornment to the reight side.

How to you set up the position of the pilot relative to the environment?

With the current settings I miss the runway completely when I try to land by just looking out the window.

Christian
    Hi,

Inside aircraft.cfg at last lines you will see x and y values. Play with them. It is the orizontal and vertical eye positions.
    With best regards,
    Achilles
    http://www.thefsps.com

I have seen the settings in aircraft.cfg, they are named "eyepoint" and they consist of three values. One changes the position forward and backwards and the other is for the "altitude" above the runway. But the third value changes nothing... I tried from +500 to -500... no sideways change at all.

Shouldn't the scenery move when I change the value? Maybe it's not that one.

Christian

Heli Builder

Looks like the eyepoint settings are only for Virtual Cockpit views. Did you try them in the 2D cockpit or the VC?
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

The changes can be seen on both the VC and 2d views. The changes will not take affect until you reload the aircraft and the .cfg has a chance to rewrite itself. Just go to the aircraft screen, choose another aircraft and rechoose the one you want. This may be a pain if you already have a "situation" (outside views on external monitors )saved.

300+ Forum Addict

This may help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526984.aspx

In particular, scroll down to the examples section and look at the "C172-Cameras-text" example. you can add a number of additional views at one time for comparisons.

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Mike,

That's only for FSX.

best,

...............john

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

This has been discussed many times. Christian, the short answer is "no."

No matter where you position the pilot in FS, the center of the screen will always be the center of your view. For example, you're at the beginning of the runway (12,000 ft long) for takeoff, nose centered on the line. You position yourself either left or right seat, using the MSFS pilot positioning feature. You look at the screen and runway line goes to the center of the screen.

OK, with the above setting, you are on final, no wind, let's say 5 miles out, you would constantly be making directional corrections to fly a straight line. To avoid that, you would have to keep the runway centered on the screen and to you it would seem as you are crabbing either right or left (depending if you are set for CPT or FO position).

It's unfortunate MS does not understand the need for such settings. It seems to me, it would be simple programing effort, to include, centering the pilot POV either left or right of center screen. That means, all views would include the centering if distant objects from Pilots POV.

Matt Olieman

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    It's unfortunate MS does not understand the need for such settings. It seems to me, it would be simple programing effort, to include, centering the pilot POV either left or right of center screen. That means, all views would include the centering if distant objects from Pilots POV.
    Matt,

"Back in the day" when Microsoft was asking for input into the development of fsx I was one of the folks sending suggestions.

Everything that I sent to them that I thought should be included in the (then) upcoming FSX related to adding some features that really catered to the growing home cockpit builder market. This ability to orient the viewpoint was on of them.

Unfortunately... as far as I can tell........ there were NO additions that really were "specific" to pit builders needs. Yes... there are some improvements that we can take advantage of.... but they seem to be because thy are addressing some OTHER market segment.

Hopefully with FS11 they will look at the EXPLOSION in cockpit builders....... and add some of the stuff WE really need.

I can dream, can't I?

best,

...................john

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

There you go John I'm right there with you

Matt Olieman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast