Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New Saitek product

Realizing this is probably toooooooo generic for most of us, Saitek are about to release a great hardware add-on, for those looking for a functional if not visually accurate, single engine GA aircraft cockpit.

Saitek control module

$100 gets you a range of electrical controls, gear control and magneto mechanism. That's several hundred bucks worth of IO boards and hardware in a single package. And, unbelievably, the unit is backlit!

I'm not sure how well it works. Surprised they have Cowl Flaps but not wing flaps. Also the placards are badly spaced which might confuse some users (e.g. on appears to be down if you look at the middle label). However looks really nicely built, with opportunities to connect with (presumably) other Saitek units.

Mix this with the Saitek throttle/yoke combo, a GoFlight RP48 for autopilot control, a couple of GF-166 radio units, and you'd have a pretty functional GA cockpit for less than a grand. That's half the cost of that stupid switch on ebay a few days ago.

I'm not expecting many on this site to go buy one, although I'd be tempted, if only to plug into a laptop for a truly portable cockpit.
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

Hi Paul,

I ran into this over the weekend, must admit to being very tempted. Although I prefer my keyswitch to the knob for startup, still I am sure 5 mins with a soldering iron would sort that out.

It beats a number of competitor products on cost right into the ground, will have to get to see one in the flesh so to speak as my only concern will be how solid it feels. Otherwise it looks great for a quick, and packable portable cockpit, especially when you see it paired with the yoke: http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Screenshots/1565447/1.html

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

looks sweet but switches are way to close together...

This is cool I have a couple of ideas already. This is in any way a better product than the CH yoke "crab" introduced earlier last week .
    Saitek rocks!
    Adino

Citation XLS sim
    http://c560xl.webs.com/

150+ Forum Groupie

For $100 you could risk subbing your own switches and using their backlight, or create your own backlight panel and switches to make it look a little less game-like. I may just build a prototype / proof of concept if I get my mitts on one (what's that wife? no just talking about work stuff, not sims, honest).

This is clearly aimed at desktop and joystick market, which is probably why it's $100. I've modded a couple of X45 joysticks in the past and they were reasonably easy to get into and not difficult to tweak.

Saitek are WELL under-rated in my opinion. I've had a ton of their stuff in the past and still have and use it.
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

25+ Posting Member

Realism goes BONK!

Sorry, but this unit may be the best thing available at the price, but it just does not look like any part of any aircraft I have ever flown. It reminds me of several switch panels I have seen in this forum, made by members, which exist just to overcome the problem of mouse / keyboard input. Nothing wrong with any of that of course, but please don't try to say this is a leap forward.

OK, you can spend some more by adding a homebrew panel, substituting the switches in that unit for real-like ones, and so on, Then you'll have a unit that looks like it belongs in a real cockpit. At several times the price - so what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by P1IC View Post
    Realism goes BONK!

Sorry, but this unit may be the best thing available at the price, but it just does not look like any part of any aircraft I have ever flown. It reminds me of several switch panels I have seen in this forum, made by members, which exist just to overcome the problem of mouse / keyboard input. Nothing wrong with any of that of course, but please don't try to say this is a leap forward.

OK, you can spend some more by adding a homebrew panel, substituting the switches in that unit for real-like ones, and so on, Then you'll have a unit that looks like it belongs in a real cockpit. At several times the price - so what's the point?
    Probably most of the audience here will agree with most of your comments, 'cause we are freaks we are homebuilders we are not desktop pilots(no ofens.). So you should read between the lines and you will notice that we are not talking about the unit itself but what we can do WITH the unit...
    Adino

Citation XLS sim
    http://c560xl.webs.com/

I think it s a great idea and doesnt look all that bad. I would purchase it just to use at my desktop until i fianlly build my shell and get my panel the way i want it. BUT i am very nervous about buying another saitek product simply because of the ghost that keeps pushing my buttons on my pro flight yoke. I hope that Saitek has fixed that issue. This time I will not rush out an buy anything until i read good reports about it.

Not sure if any of you remember the concept that Saitek was trying to produce of the six main gauges. The pics showed that they were usin small LCD screens. I have tried to find the images of the prototype but since i lost my HD awhile back i have had no luck.

Mike
    Mike G.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Interesting, I just checked Saitek's website yesterday to see if they had announced the release and there wasn't a thing on this panel. I think at this price (dunno what it will become when it gets here to Europe) its a good solution for desktop pilots and especially those using the Saitek pro flight system.

I currently have the yoke, pedals and two throttles combined into a TQ. Will phase them out as I develop the 'pit but currently its a good deal with no ghost effects yet.

Mike, I remember the gauge deal as well and the link with the picture is:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Pro-F.../dp/B000VLNXRU

10. Thanks BlackWidow thanked for this post

Yes that is it. Funny not a single word about that since it was mentioned so long ago. I too looked for it on the Saitek website and did not see anything, if i rember correctly i did not see anything on the Pro Flight yoke either.

Mike
    Mike G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast