Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: network shares

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

network shares

Hello,

I am running the most recent pm builds for Boeing PFD, MCP and CDU on separate client machines. The clients are running xp. My server is running fsx on Vista home 32. The problem is that on my client machines pmfilecheck keeps coming back and saying that I need to share FSPLANS and FS.

On my server, I double checked the fileshares, and I tested the client machines to make sure they can see this shares. The shares are definitely there, and I tested to make sure that the clients have full read /write access as well. I am not sure what to try at this point.

Does pmfilecheck look for the share name to be in all CAPS? The reason I asked is that vista changes the sharename to Fsplans instead of FSPLANS. Not sure if this matters..

FYI, I am running latest FSUIPC.

Thanks,
    Vic

Are you 100% sure all PCs have the same workgroup name, especially the Vista computer?

Maurice

yup. double checked it..

What about network location in the Vista PC. Is it set to Private instead of Public? Sorry if this sounds a bit too obvious, but I went through a lot of grief setting up a network with one Vista PC and all others XP for someone I know and there are quite a few gotchas in such a setup and you can find lots of posts in various forums about problems with networking Vista & XP PCs

Maurice

I'll check that setting. The weird thing is that the shares are definitely there.. It's just that pm doesn't see them..

Quote Originally Posted by super80 View Post
    I'll check that setting. The weird thing is that the shares are definitely there.. It's just that pm doesn't see them..
    When I was playing with it, I had setup the network as Private on the Vista PC and on more than one occasion, it switched to Public and I still have no idea why. Vista extra security is a big issue as well and you may want to disable all firewalls just to try.

Maurice

Gotta love Vista.......
    Thanks for the info, I'll give it a run tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    When I was playing with it, I had setup the network as Private on the Vista PC and on more than one occasion, it switched to Public and I still have no idea why. Vista extra security is a big issue as well and you may want to disable all firewalls just to try.

Maurice

Maurice,

I think that may have been the problem, or at least part of the problem. Vista keeps changing the network location to public, despite me manually changing it to Private. This is what drives me nuts about Vista.....

I am also trying to disable IEEE 802 in Vista(as per pm docs) and can't seem to find where to do this, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by super80 View Post
    I am also trying to disable IEEE 802 in Vista(as per pm docs) and can't seem to find where to do this, any suggestions?

I don't use Vista normally, so I can't recall exactly how to get to it, but it may be the same as XP for that setting. Right-click on 'My Network Places' and select Properties. Right-click again the Local Area Connection icon and you should see all the network protocols listed. All you need to do is uncheck the IEEE 802 check-box. But as I said, you may have to navigate a different way to get to that box in Vista.

Also, in regards to your comment "Vista keeps changing the network location to public, despite me manually changing it to Private", when it does that, it may also change the Workgroup name to the default name it gives it when you install Vista (I think the default is Workgroup). So you may want to triple-check that the workgroup name is still the same in all computers. Even though you may see the shares from other computers, you may not be able to access them if they are not all on the same workgroup.

I know for a fact that I had set all workgroup names to be the same and forgot about it, but when I checked much later, the workgroup name on the Vista computer was not the one I set up originally and I have no idea exactly about what made it change, but it did somehow,

And one last thing again, security is a BIG thing in Vista and can cause a lot of grief when you try to share things. You may want to Google that topic and you will find lots of related posts. Again, make sure you disable all firewalls (at least temporarily) and any other security programs you may have installed like Norton or other anti-virus/firewall applications.

One more thing you may want to do is to create the same user account on all PCs with administrator rights & no password and use that account to log on to all PCs. Not sure if that will help, but at some point I did that and that may have helped although I can't say for sure. All I know is that it took a lot of fiddling to get Vista & XP working together in 'perfect harmony'.

Maurice

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I spent the majority of last night researching the security "features" of Vista. One thing that I read was to turn off UAC (access control) in msconfig. I tried that but it didn't seem to have an effect, meaning something keeps changing the network location back to "public"(even in mid flight!). Frustrating for sure.

I guess I will have to add "check workgroup name and location" to my preflight checklist every time I fire the sim up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast