Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing Skunk Works View Post
    Sometimes there is no choice of shippers. NewEgg shipped the cable UPS. when they could have put it in a padded envelope and mailed it for $2 max.

Idiots.

That really keeps the customers coming back.
    Actually...I have been waiting since Sept 11th on 2 VGA cables that Amazon sent US Postal. It stinks, as these things still have shown up here yet. Im getting ready to make a complaint. I would have much preferred UPS, or 'specially FEDEX.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cscotthendry View Post
    But I have had an idea of creating a "name N Shame" Facebook page. Facebook seems to get a lot of media attention because of it's popularity. A lot of people seem to air grievances on it so it might get a reaction from some companies.
    Methinks an effective "Name n Shame" page might get some attention........ from the lawyers DEFENDING the companies so named.

Then the suit would likely be on the other body, so to speak.

best,

...................john

Quote Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
    Methinks an effective "Name n Shame" page might get some attention........ from the lawyers DEFENDING the companies so named.

Then the suit would likely be on the other body, so to speak.

best,

...................john
    I think, Mycockpit are actually creating a feedback list for vendors very soon where they will be ranked on their price, customer service and product. I think matt, and trevor are working on it, but dont hold me to that, I just saw one of them explaining this in some other thread.

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    I think, Mycockpit are actually creating a feedback list for vendors very soon where they will be ranked on their price, customer service and product. I think matt, and trevor are working on it, but dont hold me to that, I just saw one of them explaining this in some other thread.
    Dangerous ground if it is actually going to have any "teeth".

Wonder what the full time lawyer on staff is costing.

best,

.............john

75+ Posting Member cscotthendry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    A friend of mine bought a chip (IC) from the states to be delivered to the UK. I think the chip cost about £2.50 or so. When he got it it cost him over £80.00 since they packed it in a big box, threw in their thick catalogue for good measure and sent the whole lot as priority!

He was REALLY unhappy about it all!

Skywatch
    This is beginning to look like a full on rort. The US government took on the carriers for collusion a while ago, but the problem now seems to be some kind of loose collusion between the sellers and the carriers re: "Put it in an oversize box". This is happening so much that it has created a cottage industry here in Australia. Check out Carolina Tillet's business on PriceUSA.
    Regards: Scott Hendry
    www.scotthendry.com

25+ Posting Member

Scott,

I think you might be right. I do know that here in the UK, until recently, it was always the weight of an item that counted to it's postage costs via the postal system. This meant that many companies just ordered in the larger boxes as it was easier for inventory and they just filled them with those plastic bubbles.

As the trains and vans started to overfill with large boxes with hardly anything in them, they introduced new charges which now calculate the weight and size of the item to be sent.

Maybe this should be introduced in other places? I do know that including a catalogue (un-solicited) had happened to me as well.

Skywatch

75+ Posting Member

I worked in the Freight Forwarding industry for 30 years and I can tell you that this isn't new.
    There has always been a formula for working out weight vs capacity.
    Can't remember the formula now as it's been quite awhile, but we always measured the size of packages and compared them to their weight when working out the freight costs.
    This was an IATA (International Air Transport Assiocation) requirement not something the Freight Forwarders thought up.

Paul

75+ Posting Member cscotthendry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    I worked in the Freight Forwarding industry for 30 years and I can tell you that this isn't new.
    There has always been a formula for working out weight vs capacity.
    Can't remember the formula now as it's been quite awhile, but we always measured the size of packages and compared them to their weight when working out the freight costs.
    This was an IATA (International Air Transport Assiocation) requirement not something the Freight Forwarders thought up.

Paul
    Yes:
    I too worked in the transport industry (a looooong time ago) and it was the same then re: calculation based on size/weight whichever was more. The real problem here is the suppliers. I think they've become lazy and grab the first box that will fit and just pass the cost on to the customer. I wouldn't mind betting that if the shipment even came close to filling a certain size box, they'd go for the next size up as it would be easier than re-packing if it didn't fit. Again, the customer pays so "no worries" for the shipping dept.
    Regards: Scott Hendry
    www.scotthendry.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123