Just to make this nice overview more complete

FSBUS - http://www.fsbus.de

Nico Kaan

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Please post your aircraft used in your home cockpit here!

Nobody else has any experience with other aircraft for their home cockpit???
    Also, what limitations did you encounter in using it?

(A shameless bump for this thread, I know)

Dave Snyder

10+ Posting Member

737NG vs. 767 for Home Cockpit Builder

So, just when I have my decision to go forward w/ the Level-D 767 for the basis of my home cockpit, I browse the web just enough to see that the 737 seems to be, bar far, the most popular home cockpit for heavies. This seems a bit strange to me as the Level_d 767 has the SDK and Nico's terrific interface program, where PMDG has always been knocked for their lack of Home Cockpit support. Examples of this are www.opencockpits.com (mostly 737 items), Go-Flight 737 MCP, etc.

From Peter Dowson's replies in this thread, it appears that once you get the FSUIPC mouse macro working, you will be able to operate instruments and open subpanels with home cockpit setups, but I still don't see how I can have as much functionality supported (in the 737) when the Level-D has so much programmability going for it.

I am very curious to hear from both sides on this one.

David Snyder
    Waukesha, WI

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

I think the reason that given enough money, a 737 would be the easiest, is because there's very few parts that multiple suppliers dont already have available. This is not an issue if you are into buildling your own panels, parts, etc. But, if you want proffesionally made parts, then there's so many choices with the 737 compared to any other sim part vendor IMHO.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

10+ Posting Member

Why so many 737 Home Cockpit Vendors

What version of the 737 (PMDG, PIC, etc.) do people tend to use most? Is there one that lends itself better to a home cockpit builder than another?

Dave Snyder
    Waukesha, WI

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

The B727 is about the same, more or less, as any other non-supported build with respect to getting data out of it.

There isn't anything I found so far that I can't get to work as in input using the mouse capture of Pete's program, but aircraft-specific output for annunciators are another matter entirely. And no, the switches cannot be moved after the sim is down without moving them back to the last state they were in before shutdown.

FS common annunciators are supposed to be no problem. Gear, marker indicators, etc.

In fact many of the input commands of the DF727 are common to FS as well and FSUIPC has no problem with these. Sometimes the designer though, will name a function to the closest they can find such as "#1 Mixture Full Rich" to start fuel flow on a turbine engine. The odd-balls (and you'd think 3rd party designers would include this) are the No Smoking/Fasten Seat Belt switches, runway turnoff lights, flight control warning test, alternate flaps, anti-skid, and a couple of others. Still, they work well with the mouse capture funtion and it makes the aircraft happy when you can follow the procedures and the panel set-up so you don't get angry bells and horns later after start-up.

It's been a lot of fun, a lot of frustration at times, and a lot of moments of epiphany as the light comes on during different problems to solve. You can't buy a turn-key 727 from anyone, much less parts, and that goes for a lot of us here that do it from scratch.

I have three scratch-built panels left in my overhead that are not critical for safe flight, though they do work. The remainder of my sim is built by Boeing, Collins, Gables, and the rest of the sub-contractors for Boeing, except the throttle quadrant, yoke column, seat, and center control stand that I built.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!