Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Touchscreen panel kit!!

Hiya guys. I've been milling over this idea for awhile and I'm seriously thinking it will be a fantastic cheaper alternative. For radios and FMC for level D 767 I'm thinking of having a 17 inch lcd facing upwards on the pedestal. On the monitor display the FMC/CDU and radios/xpndr etc in the correct size. Apply the touch screen kit over the top of the monitor and then put the pedestal cover (MDF or whatever I use) over the top of that again. So then I would have the FMC and radios showing throught the precut holes in the pedestal and then pressing directly onto the screen the buttons on the FMC or either side of the radio knobs to change frequencies etc! The touchscreen is said to be quite responsive and accurate. (Providing you have your FMC or panel display big enough so that your finger doesn't press 2 buttons at once. Has any one seen this setup in action or heard of others using it, because if it works it will save me having to build my own FMC or buy expensive radios, for now anyway

For those who haven't seen them, here is a link to what I'm talking about.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280246853592

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Good alternative, but no one ever said this hobby was cheap.

But, you have to do what you have to do.

If had FMC's aboard the 727 I would cringe at the price I'd have to pay for a working unit and a dummy.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

3. Thanks NoutvanZon thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

It works of course and is even quite immersive after a few days...I used it on my first sim.
    You will save yourself hundreds of hours of work.
    Considering the savings go for a very good touch screen, better than a layover kit.
    The panel with holes has to be very thin (no Mdf) where the holes are.
    A picture of the CDU and radios printed on heavy plastic can do with the back of it painted flat black to avoid light through.
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

25+ Posting Member

I have a magic-touch screen and have it over a 17 inch monitor, displays both FMC and engine instruments displays. For the FMC works great on any FMC I am using. I had to go back from Vista 64 to vista 32 due to no vista 64 drivers. I did not check them all out but Magic-touch was the only one I found that had drivers for vista.

i love the idea, and i think that's the way im going also. let me know how well it works for you, and where is a good place to purchase one. I too was looking at ebay, however i wanted a dedicated screen not just a layover, for a touch screen. I want to use a touch screen for my cdu. im looking for a smaller touch screen.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlscotti View Post
    i love the idea, and i think that's the way im going also. let me know how well it works for you, and where is a good place to purchase one. I too was looking at ebay, however i wanted a dedicated screen not just a layover, for a touch screen. I want to use a touch screen for my cdu. im looking for a smaller touch screen.
    There is another site that I use when ebay doesnt have what i am looking for.
    www.pricewatch.com. They ahave different vendors and also different size monitors available. Hope this helps.

I too have thought of using touchscreen for my CRJ project since it is a glass cockpit. It would be neat to have the cockpit look more techy (sp?). Once I have ordered my Panels from Joe, I will look at what modifications i will need to do to make touchscreen work....

Klint Torbert
    "TucanoRC"

Touchscreen just works?

Hey guys using a full touchscreen monitor as apposed to using a layover might be a better solution. However how compatible are they with say LevelD 767 software(CDU)? Can you simply attach the touchscreen via Video card or TH2GO and then click and drag the CDU onto the touchscreen....is it as simple as that? If so that just might be a better solution down the track.

25+ Posting Member

Any function that will respond to a mouse click will respond to a touch screen finger input. What happens is where you touch the screen the mouse pointer is moved there, The touch monitors are better but more expensive. My lay over was 160 bucks for a 15 inch one and works great on LVL D 767, PMDG ALL WILCO AIRBUS AND new E jet or any CDU/FMC that operates off a mouse clack. My Magic Touch connects to a usb input and requires drivers and calibration. Since mine is a lay over I needed different drivers for multi monitors as I had to tell the software which monitor the touch screen was over. If you use Vista make sure there are drivers for it. Yes just Drag the CDU/FMC to the monitor with the touch screen.
    Last edited by percy; 07-22-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: extra info

10. Thanks Drewsta thanked for this post

I know this was expensive, but I got my touchscreen from Newegg.com a Planar for $349.00 a couple of months ago. Works like a charm. This is what it looks like close up with the ERJ-145 FMC;
    Regards,
    Brian

Last edited by PDT 200; 07-22-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I am new here and I am interested to make a touch screen to FMC. I have a question about FMC and FSUIPC:
    Does FSUIPC can be programed to active the keys of FMC in 737 NG of PMDG? Like to read a joystick key and active a FMC function? If it works, I have a cheap soluction, building a touch screen kit using infrared LEDs using usb joystick, about 128 I/O. But it does not work as a mouse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast