Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

727 Framework for Half-Shell

I started again tonight after work. I'm still studying photos and making adjustments. It's very difficult to try to interpret some of these angles because each photo looks different from the next. Due to so many compound angles you never know if it's right untill it looks right from every angle you can find. There is also lens distortion from some photos and you never know what to trust and what to pass on.

Anyway, I adjusted the sidewall brace another 3.75" outboard along with the side window frame(s). I also studied some photos of the only actual interior piece I have to try and get the angle right for this before starting the aft end framework. This is about as close as I can get it with the photos I have.

Everything seems to line up. This thing is a lot bigger than I imagined. It's been a long time since I had a visit to a 727 cockpit.

I still have a bit of bracing and other support structure to cut and install. One piece at a time. It is amazing how much can be done with only one real piece for a frame of reference. This did make some decisions easier to make.

Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Mike, why do I get the feeling that you have been telling a bit of a fib- You have plenty of room there for your sim! Of course, I realize that you may not be able to use ALL of that room, but you sure are making do with little space. The framing you're doing is adding so very much to your sim. I applaud your efforts and in time it's going to be awesome. Keep up the good work but dont beat yourself up if you get an agle off by 2 degrees there!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Thanks Eric. No, I can't use all of this room as I wouldn't have much room to move around in. The chimney on the right is the big obsticle. Obviously I can't move it so I'm building around it. That's why there is no right side to my sim.

If I brought the whole thing out to clear the chimney and build the right side it would cut down on my room space considerably.

It's been a lot of fun taking it to the next level.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

10+ Posting Member

Looks great! I know what you mean about bigger than imagined.

I built a protoytype out of 1x1's and was shocked when I saw how big it looked.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

A little more work on the upper section today. That #5 window frame was a real bugger.

And a shot of the installed trackball. I'm getting ready to try it out right now.

Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

A couple more from working tonight:

I finally figured out how I'm going to build the interior since I can't find any.

After I get the proper supports in the correct spots for the O2 selector panel, mike selector panel, ash tray/cup holder, etc, I'm going to use hardware cloth (heavy screen) to shape the interior panels including the shallow depression for the steering tiller.

After it's shaped properly and I'm satisfied with it, I'm going to layer fibreglass cloth and resin over the hardware cloth.

I thought about chicken wire but it's too flimsy to support a shape and the fibreglass and resin, and the holes are too big.

Hope this works.
    Boeing Skunk Works