Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

ENG 1GEN and ENG2 GEN

Can you tell me please whether ENG1 GEN and ENG2 GEN (on the overhead) are turned on before engine start or after engine start? The same question for the APU GEN (before or after APU start).

Thank you very much,

Darren Sugden

Quote Originally Posted by Suggy View Post
    Can you tell me please whether ENG1 GEN and ENG2 GEN (on the overhead) are turned on before engine start or after engine start? The same question for the APU GEN (before or after APU start).

Thank you very much,

Darren Sugden
    Hi

Generators produce power that comes from engines. So, first start your apu, then apu gen and then engines and then engines generators

Achilles

3. Thanks Suggy thanked for this post

Thank you for taking the time to answer,

Darren

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Thank you very much,

Darren Sugden

In My aircraft, we turn the Gens on before the start. The engine start interlock won't work unless they are in the on position, actually in fact, all three Gen switches to off, places the Falcon 900 into ditch mode, and literally kills ever thing electrical in the aircraft to prevent explosion when crashing.

Just my tidbit.

Trev

Thanks, Trevor.

I'm just curious as to the flow of checks on the overhead of the A320.

If I start the engines without the generator buttons turned 'on' then as soon as the engines start I get an orange warning on the EICAS informing me that the generators are off. Because of this, it leads me to believe that the GEN buttons are actually switched 'on' before engine start.

Dodiano.........?

Thanks trevor,

Darren Sugden

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Airbus

Thanks, Trevor.

I'm just curious as to the flow of checks on the overhead of the A320.

If I start the engines without the generator buttons turned 'on' then as soon as the engines start I get an orange warning on the EICAS informing me that the generators are off. Because of this, it leads me to believe that the GEN buttons are actually switched 'on' before engine start.

Dodiano.........?

Thanks trevor,

Darren Sugden
    Hi Darren,

Don´t confuse the Switch in the Overhead if you see the legend it says OFF and FAULT that means it is an automatic system you don´t have to turn it On it automatically comes in after 58% N2 and 48% N2 on the older planes... The switch fnction if Dark it means the system is working automatically if it lights white you turned off the generator and if FAULT appears amber is either that the engines are shutdown on ground or that the generator has failed in flight or any phase with the proper engine running... And it is ECAM not EICAS... EICAS is on the Brown Cockpits... Actually that message shouldn´t appear with the Engines Off in ground it should only appear if they fail in flight... Can you post a pic on where does that message appear?? What software are you using??

Regards,

Roberto
    Last edited by dodiano; 05-30-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Meant N2 instead of N1

Many thanks Roberto for replyng. My initial question was prompted by the free Mike ray download 'Cold and Dark - Flight simmer's Dillemma'. In his flow the APU GEN switch is switched on after APU start. That got me thinking because I thought it was switched 'on' even before APU start becasue as you say, it isan automatic system.

The software i am using is AST's overhead and ECAM software. I suppose the logic of the software is not completely 100% precise. I suppose it is writeen such that if the GEN is turned of, it is assuming you are in the air.

Again, many thanks for the reply,

Draren Sugden

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Airbus

Many thanks Roberto for replyng. My initial question was prompted by the free Mike ray download 'Cold and Dark - Flight simmer's Dillemma'. In his flow the APU GEN switch is switched on after APU start. That got me thinking because I thought it was switched 'on' even before APU start becasue as you say, it isan automatic system.

The software i am using is AST's overhead and ECAM software. I suppose the logic of the software is not completely 100% precise. I suppose it is writeen such that if the GEN is turned of, it is assuming you are in the air.

Again, many thanks for the reply,

Draren Sugden
    By the GEN is turned off it is assuming you are in the Air you mean the APU?? The APU gen works the same as the Engines no need to turn ON and OFF... Actually on PRE-Flight you don´t turn that many switches to On in the Plane except for a couple... Since most systems are always in Automatic you don´t need to turn each system off...

Regards,

Roberto

Yes, I understand fully!

It gets rather boring without having to press a lot of switches Perhaps I was looking for an excuse to do so! More to the point, having spent lots and lots of money on the overhead, you find out that it doesn't do much really (lol).

Al the very best,

Darren

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Fly the 727 sometime. You'll have more switches and knobs to play with than you'll know what to do with.

It's strictly a manual setup.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!