Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Articulated Spade Grip

Hi,

Looking for any ideas on how I can make this arrangement work. Th Spitfire and Hurricane, as you probably know, had a control column that hinged about a third of the way down to control ailerons. For the elevators I had thought of using a string pot or some other arrangement (any suggestions on source for a 100k, if that is what I need, string pot at less than a mint??) but the top is problematic.

A sprocket at the joint links by chain to another at the bottom of the control column, that sprocket needs to be made to turn some type of pot to actuate the ailerons. It seems to me that this pot must be attached to the stick to tolerate the range of motion of the elevator movement.

Any ideas would be appreciated by a technical infant.
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "W黵zburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Boeing 777 Builder

Tony, I seem to remember a similar issue being raised in the forums some time back and Mike Powell had a clever idea along these lines (I think). You could either search the forums or head over to Mikes website where you'll get tons of useful information. Also Gwyn (Westozy) is the resident mechanical engineer here who always has great ideas.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

3. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi Tony,
    Too easy! Bring it up to Perth with you this weekend and drop it off at my place. A couple of pot drives would be quick to make while you do your biz in town, I'm in the workshop this weekend to finish the A320 TQ at last! Or just post a few good close up pics of the mechanism here and I'll offer my 'aerosim solution'!
    Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

5. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Too easy! Bring it up to Perth Or just post a few good close up pics of the mechanism here and I'll offer my 'aerosim solution'!
    Gwyn
    Thanks Gwyn, I'll take you up on that one way or another (the grip should be here tomorrow). I suspect the stick and rudders at least will be an aerosim solution. The mechanical side is not my strong point.

I have the engineering drawings for the stick somewhere I am sure. I'll try to dig those out.

If you email me your phone number I'll give you a call over the weekend. I'd love to just catch up and say g'day quickly
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "W黵zburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

After dragging Gwyn away from the A320 throttle for FAR too long on Sunday I have him solving all my control column and throttle problems and probably rudder as well.

Those waiting for the A320 throttle will NOT be disappointed, it is a beauty!

A big thanks for a great afternoon Gwyn.
    "Tony"