Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

[quote=Tony Hill;65529]
    I have not been able to catch up with Gwyn, so the controls are not done yet but I have a "no problems" assessment from him on making them functional.

Looking forward to helping out Darryl...

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2. Thanks steveeverson thanked for this post

Hi Gwyn,

Thanks, I didn't end up comming up the other day anyway....

I will give you one more to think about...the "handbrake". On the Spitty this lever actuates the compressed air in the brakes. The pedals merely distribute the brake pressure differentially. Whilst I know that FSX won't do this, making the differential toe brakes conditional upon a switch triggered by this hand brake may achieve the same effect. I believe this might be possible through FSUIPC.

So a switch on the control column triggered by the handbrake would be nice!!

I am up there again 11/12 October and I'll PM you and Kennair to see what can be arranged.

cheers
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Well, a frustrating time here. I missed the Perth trip again due to circumstances.

I have been talking to RealAir and to FI about the gauges and it now seems that most but not all can be made functional. Enough will work, I think, to make the investment in the gauges worth it. We shall see.

Other than that I have only done some planning and scouting for the "right" type of wood at a reasonable cost.

More hours in the day would help......

"Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Well, plunge taken.

I have ordered all the FI gauges needed (except the analogue Altimetre which will not be produced until next year).

Mark is going to do some customizing for me to represent the Spitfire Oil temp, press and the 4000 fpm VSI.

The live gauges will be:

Attittude Indicator
    VSI
    ASI
    Turn & Slip (vintage)
    RPM
    Oil Temp
    Oil Press
    Fuel Gauge

Also to be fitted either next to or in place of the oxy regulator there is a B737 style Com Radio.

Eventually the altimetre will slot in and I still hope to find a "cheat" to make the radiator temp possible. I have to look at oil temp and its relationship and see if I can fake something.

Next I have to start on the corel draw pictures of the other "dead" gauges to get them laser designed and laser cut.

Gwyn, I am thinking of just couriering the spade grip up to you...I'
    ll PM.

"Tony"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-WW2-Spitfi...1%7C240%3A1318

Go take a look..maybe you're interested.

jsut to let you know tony.

Cheers,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by NNomad007 View Post
    Go take a look..maybe you're interested.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I saw your post too late. I have access to a laser cutter (from a mate) and will probably make all those types of things on that. The old panels and gauges may have a (debatable) radiation risk and so I am avoiding them for the most part. I did buy a compass but have now decided to use FI's gyro compass in that place.

Anyway, cheers

"Tony"

More progress. I have been talking to Realair and it looks like I need to learn some C++. If I do that I should be able to get a couple more gauges working. So I just ordered my Christmas present (can't remember exactly WHICH Christmas we are up to so far!!) of two more small gauges for Radiator Temp and Boost. I also decided to go with the Digital Altimetre to start with which I will probably keep as a spare once the analogue one is released by FI.

I got hold of a P-51 rudder trim knob...(closest I could get to the Spitfire's) and luckily the hole for the shaft fits perfectly onto the pot. I then bodgey'd up a temporary Elevator trim wheel as well. I'll have to get photos of them done. I have just used two Desktop Aviator USB trim wheels as a base.

The main thing that I keep pinching myself over is how SIMPLE the wiring plan is. One sidewinder joystick, one saitek throttle unit, two DA trims, the daisychained FI instruments and a phidgets64 card with half a dozen LEDs....

Tell me I'm dreaming and I am going to get to solder 6000 connections after all???

"Tony"

Well no pictures but some fairly significant progress.

Met up with Gwyn as I blew through Perth the other day (still have to catch up with Kennair when I get some time) and sorted out a lot on the control side.

The Spade grip will have a very light return mechanism on the pitch axis but a heavier one on the roll. This slightly non harmonised control set up will simulate the Spitfire at it's mid to mid upper speed range, where I will do most of my flying.

With the throttle quadrant, rudders and undercarriage lever also to be made for me by Gwyn, I can concentrate on the structure and the gauges. Latest news on them is that most are ready and when the couple that Mark has completely customized for me are done I will get them posted. So they should be here, clear of customs and ready to put in a panel just after christmas.

I have also acquired a real Starter Button and safety cover, 7 electrical switches (unfortunately not "Air Ministry" but identical ones made in the '60s) plus some black push buttons for radiator test, supercharger test etc. I picked up a real supercharger switch as well.

I had a look at the FI software and that looks easy enough. Boost is no problem with a straight conversion from Manifold pressure, radiator temp will need Sean's help as RealAir have done that one independantly. So the new working gauge count is:

Blind Flying Panel
    ASI
    AH
    VVI
    Altimetre (digital until later next year)
    DG
    T & S

Engine instruments
    RPM
    Boost
    Oil Temp
    Oil Pressure (not sure yet whether rectangular or round)
    Radiator Temp ...HOPEFULLY
    Fuel Gauge

Other
    A B737 Comm Radio to top it off (and placate the "bus drivers" around here ) will take the place of the Oxygen Regulator.

I have also finally fixed on the FR IX, only 140 of which were built but which allows me to use my real gusight AND a Type 35 Camera Controller. I've been doing a heap of research on them and have a good picture of the controller and it's functions. I will use it to control screenshots.

The refuel / repair function in FSX will be used to simulate drop tanks. I've been mucking about with flight testing and planning to see where I can fly to exactly on a single flight out and back. Best estimate so far is about a 200 - 250 mile combat radius with time over target 5 minutes and a 10 minute combat reserve.

If anyone has any PRU information I'd love to hear it.

The low level Fighter Recon idea looks like it is going to be a challenge to fly...but who wouldn't want a 300mph lawn mower??

"Tony"

For anybody interested who hasn't caught Gwyn's announcement on the undercarriage mechanism...have a look here:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...2742#post72742

This one item has made me completely overhaul my plans. Originally I was going for a semi scale structure with wood ribs and a sqaure-ish shape. The structural drawings I had seemed complicated and didn't seem to be worth the effort. The inside could be "built" using a few wood battons etc to look like cockpit bracing. A simple "box" filled with Spitfire bits, it would have looked OK from inside but really just because of the parts.

But the U/C Lever has convinced me that Gwyn's controls will definately deserve a proper scale cockpit, so plan revision 1 (Ok, I'll be honest, I am up to about 456 already!) is to build the basic rib structure out of wood and cover it with aluminium sheeting. I have then worked out a way to do the riveting details with some thin aluminium and filler joined to the wood spars. So it should end up looking like moulded aluminium ribs but won't require the complex curves.

The Instrument Panel and BFP will be of light aluminium which I will probably get plasma cut or acrylic which I can get laser cut.

Unfortunately no sign of the FI gauges yet. The latest estimate was late last week but obviously that did not happen. I really hope they come soon as I am stalled now (I can't start the structure until I know how I am going to have to build in the flying controls Gwyn is doing).

It will be nice to eventually have some pics to put in a post again!

"Tony"

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi "Tony"

I don't know if you are aware but there's a website in the UK that specializes in Spitfire stuff and they manufacture the joystick, throttle and landing gear components. Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but I'm sure if you goggled spitfire aprts you might sind it.

Rob

12. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast