Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Spitfire IX Project

Darryl,

you did mention A2A earlier but I missed that. Valuable observations regarding the sim models and something to bear in mind. Thanks for the insight. Great idea on the sound files .... it really really works and adds to the immersion.

I hadn't really considered the vibration issues with speakers ... hmmmm something for me to consider there!

I'm working on a two builds, with the Sim build being used as a bit of an escape [not that I escape much]. The second build is a house!!
    I'm choosing to build the all the instruments [using Mike Powell's books are a guide.]
    These small little projects are keeping me sane. It's a longer term project of course but there huge satisfaction to be had as well you know.

Your project has and continues to be a great inspiration.

Thanks for all the great information and the additional time you took writing it up

jack
    If it's ain't broken, break it and then fix it !

2. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post

Jack, my very great pleasure!

I would love to custom build some instruments but unfortuately my (rather meager) talents lie elsewhere.
    Please post your progress on the C172 when you are ready, I'd love to see it. Much of my RW flying has been in them.
    Maintaning that "inspiration" and enthusiasm is critical and not as easy as one might imagine. Sadly the majority of cockpit projects I have seen fall by the wayside. Although around here that is decidedly not the case.

I guess this is one reason why I bought/commissioned a LOT of the 'bits" for the Spitfire. After 4 years slaving away on an F-16 for mediocre results (flying wise) I needed a quick build. But I am well satisfied with the bits I did do, particularly designing and building the frame from the ground up.

And I am happy to see my work along side that of Gwyn and others such that it does not look at all out of place.

There is still a fair bit of detailing to go...and it WILL get done but I am "discovering" the joy of actually flying something that I built now after 6 1/2 years of pretty muchg JUST building .... something that is fully functional and leaves the keyboard out of the equation....and the F-16 will still take a considerable time to progress that far.

Keep at it and make each small piece completed a "victory". A modeller friend said to me a while back "sheesh, each bit you build is like me building a whole 1:48 scale model!!" That is actually a GREAT way to look at it!!

best regards

Darryl
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

25+ Posting Member

Darryl,

Happy New Year and best wishes for 2011.

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anat...e-cockpit.html

Just came across this site [perhaps you have too, I don't know how old it is] but thought of your sim immediately and decided to post on your thread.

I'm still picking away at my C172 with house building and work still getting the lions share of my available time. And the spit plans are ever present in my head too ... just not enough hours in the day!

All the best.
    If it's ain't broken, break it and then fix it !

Thanks Jack, and to you!!

Yes I have used that site from way back. Great details. And helpful too, now, as after a brief plan to convert her from a Mk IX to a Mk I, she ended up as a crossbreed Mk II and now, for a couple of reasons will end up as a Mk V. So she has seen almost as many "updates" as some of the real operational aircraft!!!!

Glad to see you are still going on the cockpit. I am still plodding away with some stuff. I will hopefully have some more soon to show.

regards

Darryl
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Whilst the sim is apart, I have taken the opportunity to swap out some of the "temporary" bits and in the new stuff that has arrived. The fuel button now has the correct brass ring around it and the proper top swing fuel gauge has arrived and will go in this afternoon.

The rudder mechanism has to have a sleeve and bushes put into it and those are being manufactured for me by Gwyn. After the pot taking me three tries over four weeks and several hours hanging upside down, to fix, I got a whole 55 minutes flying before the pivot point failed....such is lfe.

Also just finished, Gwyn's drop tank unit he built for me.....for the Mk V when released. I will fit it in a couple of weeks when the whole lot goes back together.

And the real thing in situ...

The pic below shows the Bowden Cable that runs from the Lever to the tap (natural aluminium). This is actually where I will be routing the wires.

I try to hide wiring that comes out of "mechanical" places and shouldn't be there. The Emergency Undercarriage Bottle has its switch wires run through the CO2 pipe..hiding them and making it look like it is soley "mechanical".

Darryl
    "Tony"

Looks fantastic. The quality of the work is exceptional. Well done.

Rhydian

300+ Forum Addict Anderson/SBSP's Avatar

For me your project is the most wonderfull and fantastic!!! Great job!!
    Anderson Roberto de Souza - Brazil / São Paulo
    Blog: www.737ngsim.com.br Twitter: @ARSouza

Thanks Guys...still a lot to do but a lot of flying and little building lately...after nearly 7 years on building this and the F-16, I think I am due some flight time!!

Darryl
    "Tony"

At last some progress on MY part...

The side wall bracket/frame which is swaged for strength and to starbord, supports the Windscreen De-iceing Pump.

The bracket is much shorter than the real one and attaches TO the frame rather than being the frame. A nice cosmetic touch though, I feel, as it is one of the more interesting structural features of the cockpit:

And in situ..... first one mine, second picture the real thing...

The De-Ice Pump finally in position after three repaints (one mistake and two impatience)

And a small "while the paint drys" job...my genuine Compass Correction Holders fitted with "repro" cards.

The Placard which goes underneath (for "with drop tank" and "without" ) will hopefully be cut this week.

"Tony"

11. Thanks Matt Olieman, Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    Super Moderator

This is a spectacular job. This is by far, some of the finest work I have ever seen on anyones flight simulator, including commercial vendors.

Congrats!

13. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post