Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Spitfire IX Project

Magic Gwyn,

Another fine job of work! I suppose now I will have to make the mountings this weekend.

Darryl
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "W黵zburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Boeing 777 Builder

One word Gwyn.......F**WKD!

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Well, that was a ^%&& of a night wednesday!! 3 Switch Housing attempts for the IFF and three tossed in the bin (well, the last one went via the back wall of the garage...Dog well out of range!!).....but last night I went back out, made a better wooden "plug" and cut a fourth...that one worked OK, not brilliant but matchbox size is not easy to build with 2mm aluminium. The switch however fits snuggly into the housing and looks OK.

Later I built the Windscreen De-icing unit which went much more smoothly. It is currently drying its third coat of white and tonight gets the topcoat of satin black. Early next week I will get Chris to laser engrave the legend through the black into the white the same way we did on the magneto switch panel.

I'll wait 'til then so I can get some decent light and post all the detail pieces up to date.

Also wrestled with the Sutton Harness for a while but not much progress on that.

The next project will be the fairing that sits over the lines from the Chassis control to the instrument panel frame in the left of the picture of the real thing below. The small wheel is already done but nothing more.

The Windscreen De-Icing Unit can be seen on the right just near the gear handle.

Some random pics:

The rear of the instrument panel with gauges fitted.

The gunsight cleaned up and ready to fit

The TR radio controller ready to be fitted:

The "real" radio unit for the sim will now be mounted in the Remote Contactor frame as I think I am out of room on the left for a mapbox

More soon

"Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "W黵zburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

75+ Posting Member

Beautiful work!!! She's coming along so well!! Not too long ago when I was searching for Spitfire (I still search for some of the projects I see on here in hopes I can tag something to help out), I came across some really unique pieces to a P-38 Lightning and had to talk myself down.

Definitely beautiful to see the work coming together!! I can't wait to see her taking to the skies once again!
    Jon

Thanks Mate!

A little bit more progress before I have a weekend off...

The Fuelcock finished and ready to bolt on. It is built from some garden irrigation fittings and an old landing gear lever I had. the handle is 3mm aluminium pollished and the grip "buttons" are chromed nuts joined by a threaded rod.

Sundry Placards generously cut for me by Chris and his invaluable laser.

A couple of better photos of the compass...again, the degrees disk by Chris and the body out of 120mm plumbing fitting with the "card" holder in 2mm aluminium and a heavy gauge screw onto angle alu. As always a great 3d effect is obtained by multiple layers of acrylic with different details etched on them and painted.

The completed %^%$& of an IFF Destruction unit. Save for the 1 1/2" problem with the GA drawings in the fuselage, this bit has given me more trouble than any other. About 12 hours spent on it all up to finish!! It is a whole 8" long and 2" wide. I should have just bought a housing from Spitfirespares for $300...

A nice family shot to finish..

More later in the next week. As always, cheers for the interest.
    "Tony"

And just before I pack it in for the day....

The controls now painted and ready to drop in and wire:

The De-icing switch, the best alu part I have made so far , very pleased. The legend should get engraved this coming week.

"Tony"

300+ Forum Addict

Hi
    If I wore a hat , I took it off.
    It is just stunning to see such a project,
    I`m very impressed by the look of something like this, it is a real tribute to the guys who were fighting for our freedom I must say.
    greetz

I'm very glad you think so Kermit, to honour them (and particularly the relatively unknown Tony Hill) is a big part of my motivation.

Cheers mate

Darryl
    "Tony"

An incredible piece of luck this afternoon....picked up the following for just $30 more than it cost me to make the replica!!!

Last time I had the oportunity to buy one it was A$900 and I saw one really bad condition that sold for $550.

I am still shaking my head in disbelief!!
    "Tony"

10. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Truly amazing work Tony, look forward to your continued progress. Being a generic cockpit guy I have a deep respect for those of you that go for the replica builds, it's a massive amount of hard work and building genius!

12. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast