500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

At work again...

So I've heeded to the forum software's suggestion that I take a few moments to write something in the forum...

Many many months ago I bought a 737ng MCP panel from Open Cockpits along with a bunch of IO cards and various materials. After a little search I also found a local distributor with the electronics components I needed as well.

So I had everything ready and after a refresher session on soldering (majored in computer engineering so I had my share of electronics and circuit design) I started putting the MCP together. However, shortly after I started the projects started pouring in so I rarely could find the time and even considering putting the cards up for sale.

On one of the occasions when I could find the time to work on the project, a moment of carelessness led to me breaking both panels (front and backlighting) cleanly in two . Upset and unsure as to what would be the best means to repair the panels so that it wasn't easily noticeable, I let my hectic schedule take charge and stayed away from the project for quite a while.

Anyway, after my program ended at the beginning of August I went on a short visit to the US. Upon my return I found myself with quite a bit of free time on my hands. Which is apparently what happens when you are looking for a job/internship and do nothing all day but eat, sleep, exercise, apply to openings and go for interviews.

So I have started working on the project again and (alas, free time) have made good headway in the short amount of time. I dare to say I would probably make better progress if I wasn't limited in my working hours (neighbors don't appreciate dremel tool at 3am) but I have started to manage my time so that I'm doing the noisy bits during the day and welding/gluing during the night. Of course there are drawbacks to this as well, and anyone who has managed to touch the business end of a soldering iron (especially at 5am) knows it really limits your work. Ice on, ice off, solder, solder, solder, ice on... you get the picture

So soon time will come to connect wires and plug them in to the cards. And then of course trouble shooting

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Thats why I use a cold heat electronic soldering iron. What a great investment it was.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

3. Thanks Efe Cem Elci thanked for this post
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Great to hear your back at it. It must have really broken your heart when you broke the panels in half. I can only imagine the thoughts that went through your head.

Hopefully you managed to fix the panels so that it was working again, and your back on track.

Good luck, and if you require any help, don't hesitate to ask. Sim building can at times be very frustrating, and more then anything, I can vouch for the stepping away for a short bit.

None the less, Keep pressing forward, as the rewards afterwords are orth the effort.

Trev

500+ This must be a daytime job

Hey Trev,
    You hit the nail right on the head. It hurt and although I could easily get new panels for some cash, it was the work that I had already put in installing all the buttons and painting to ensure the backlight wasn't leaking through in places... and it was a big mistake to let that keep me from working on the project, but it is usually what happens when you re doing something like this as a hobby and you reach an obstacle that really kills your morale.

I've managed to put it back together although it wasn't easy as I tried to do so without taking the whole thing apart again. The thing is, the backlight panel and the front panel didn't break at exactly the same spot so it was tricky. In the end I superglued it and a little came out and stained the backlighting panel in a vertical line right in the middle of the vertical speed readout.

Anyway today was a good day as I started dremeling the backlighting panel for the leds. I'll get some pics up as it becomes more respectable to look at.

Andy,
    I had heard of the cold soldering option but thought it would probably be too much of an investment. Maybe it was the name but looking at it now it seems like a good idea. I like the wireless option as my current iron is cumbersome when it comes to detailed work due to the power line. Thanks!

Trust me, I know what your talking about. I too get easily frustrated when things go wrong. What is important to me is then when soemthing like that goes wrong, I try to get back up on the horse and keep pressing on, having learned a lesson. I also have spent hours on end just trying to get something just right, and just at the last second I realize I had gone too far, and I break something.

It really is a hard thing to get past. I have also learned that trying to do something quickly always ruins something.

Please just remember to try to get your head about you, and when things get tough, remember the excitement you have when things are going well.

I find when I get frustrated, I come and look in the photo gallery on mycockpit.org, and see what everyone else has, and that pushes and drives me to get back to it and keep going.

My sim has been torn to pieces for almost 6 months now, and I am strating to get upset that I haven't been flying.

However, in this down time, and beginning the rebuilding process, I have elected to change aircraft.

That right. I am giving up on the Dassault Falcon, and Pressing ahead with the rest of the Boeing Crew. I sense a 737ng On the horizon. LOL

Trev

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

My electronic soldering iron cost me about $15.00 I found it on sale a couple of years ago. I think the normal price now is about $15 to $20. Great investment. It runs on a single AA size battery and has never failed to work for me. And I have never burnt myself on it either!

Trev,
    I'm praying for ya bud. One of these days you will realize that low and slow is the way to go. All that automation, no wonder pilots fall asleep.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Trev,
    I'm praying for ya bud. One of these days you will realize that low and slow is the way to go. All that automation, no wonder pilots fall asleep.
    LOL. I am praying for me too. I have been used to flying the sports car for so long, and getting to 310 in about 5 minutes as apposed to 25 mins in the 73 is gong to be a BIG adjustment LOL